The GOP Nomination--The Donald and So Much More!

Why is the boom in quotes? Or are you suggesting that possibly hundreds (if not thousands) of civilian casualties are something to make light of?

It was simply to show the sound the explosion made, like a quote. If I was actually callous, I'd of told people that, "For the morbidly curious out there, there are other videos of the explosion out there right now showing a lot of carnage."

Great article and Rolling Stone don't belong in the same sentence

You're making the mistake of thinking gatorman wrote that.

He didn't. He goes to his leftist overlords and they tell him what to post, what to type, how to respond, etc. It's a simple copy/paste for him because in the end, that's where his abilities peak.

For GreggyT regarding the Daily show discussion, very good listen

http://freakonomics.com/2015/08/05/why-do-we-really-follow-the-news-full-transcript/

As an aside, I wonder if our resident lefties would have the same reverence for NYT of they listened to their reporters instead of reading them? Can you bear more than ten seconds of Jill Abramson's condescension?

http://freakonomics.com/2015/08/05/why-do-we-really-follow-the-news-full-transcript/

As an aside, I wonder if our resident lefties would have the same reverence for NYT of they listened to their reporters instead of reading them? Can you bear more than ten seconds of Jill Abramson's condescension?

:beer: I'll check it out tonight when I'm back at my desk.

I'll take a crack at what made Obama Awesome.

1. Timing - Bush really hurt the Republican brand, country dying for change and the media fawning all over Obama.

2. bull **** - Obama was not well known especially to low information voters (which is most voters), he injected a lot of spin in his campaigning, fooled most except those that saw him as a radical far left marxist.

3. Weak opponent - McCain lost the debates to himself and didn't excite many voters. bull **** is more exciting to most.

4. More bull **** - Obama won again in 2012 on more bull **** and more media assistance. The rest of his party got hammered because they lacked Obama levels of bull ****.

5. Stupid voters - those that stayed home because Romney was a mormon or not conservative enough and those that unbelievably swallowed more of Obama's bull **** after 4 years of having it heaved onto them.

I think it's a little more nuanced than that. In 2008 Obama hit the perfect storm of circumstances. The Democrats were going to win the general election. George W Bush was historically unpopular the last couple of year of his term. For reference Obama's lowest approval rating was around 40%, George W Bush's lowest was about 23% and his approval rating stayed in the 20's and low 30's for the last few years of his second term.

Hillary in 2007 and 2008 ran as a center left Dem. Obama ran as a progressive against her. Almost every issue he was to the left of Hillary. That really resonated with people who had gotten sick of 25+ years of centrist political figures. Throw in the fact that Obama was a very charismatic candidate with a story that resonated with people and he gained momentum. Hillary also mismanaged her campaign when she tried to counter him. The Republicans ran McCain and that crazy B word Palin which provided him little resistance. When people elected Obama in 2008 they thought they were getting a progressive president at a time when 8 straight years of being run under neo-cons hadn't worked out.

In 2012 after 4 years of Obama being a center right establishment Democrat people weren't as enthusiastic about him. However much like with John Kerry in 2004 the Republicans failed to put up a strong opponent. It also didn't help that the Republican base lots its collective **** when Obama took office. So that really ignited the Republican base and that base forced the party to go further right. Which meant that Romney had to take much more conservative stances to get through the primaries and then flip on those stances in the general election. Also Romney's policies didn't resonate with America as a real solution to problems and social issues turned off a lot of voters from him too.

So in 2012 Obama got reelected due to lack of competition. I don't think America bought the bull **** again. I think it was just America picked the giant douche over the turd sandwich.

Freakonomics! I'm reading "The Undercover Economist" now.