Goodwin attempting to make 2016 Olympics

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain how Goodwin should train to take blows and what gaining weight will do for him as a speed receiver.

Do you think there is a difference between the way a wide receiver trains, and a sprinter trains?

He could stand to add a bit of weight and muscle. He is plenty fast, and can still maintain excellent speed. He would probably lose those 100ths of a second that keep him on the Olympic team, but he will still be fast.

The guy has been injured for way too much of his career, and staying as lean as possible so he can be on the Olympic team won't help.

He could also spend more time working on his ball skills...lots of things he could be working on. Or even just giving his body some rest, instead of taking on extra training.

It's a distraction.

Do you think there is a difference between the way a wide receiver trains, and a sprinter trains?

He could stand to add a bit of weight and muscle. He is plenty fast, and can still maintain excellent speed. He would probably lose those 100ths of a second that keep him on the Olympic team, but he will still be fast.

The guy has been injured for way too much of his career, and staying as lean as possible so he can be on the Olympic team won't help.

He could also spend more time working on his ball skills...lots of things he could be working on. Or even just giving his body some rest, instead of taking on extra training.

It's a distraction.

marquise-goodwin-111814-ftr-instagramjpg

It's a distraction.

So in other words, you have no idea how he'd train to "absorb blows and carry more weight".

Got it.

So then Greggy, lay out your expectations for Goodwin....

If he stays healthy, which is a big if, he's the #4 WR on this roster and will be used to stretch the field. He's a weapon, Rex knows this and gushes about the guy. To think Ryan isn't going to use Goodwin is to ignore the talent he's clearly displayed.

I do not think he's injury prone, I think he had a bad break and then got benched by Marrone who didn't know how to use him. Of course, the injury prone label is justified to some degree on him, time will tell who is right. But when he's healthy, he's far and away the fourth best WR in the room.

If he stays healthy, which is a big if, he's the #4 WR on this roster and will be used to stretch the field. He's a weapon, Rex knows this and gushes about the guy. To think Ryan isn't going to use Goodwin is to ignore the talent he's clearly displayed.

I do not think he's injury prone, I think he had a bad break and then got benched by Marrone who didn't know how to use him. Of course, the injury prone label is justified to some degree on him, time will tell who is right. But when he's healthy, he's far and away the fourth best WR in the room.

Gee, sounds awesome....especially "if he stays healthy".

I think he should be doing everything he can to assure that he stays healthy enough to play football.

These are my feelings as well. I know the topic has been beaten to death but he offers an elite skill. It has been on display this preseason. If you want to be a running, ball control team you need to keep the safeties away from the LOS. Goodwin over the top will be a theme this year (if healthy). Even if they miss him on the streak his presence helps the rest of the offense.

These are my feelings as well. I know the topic has been beaten to death but he offers an elite skill. It has been on display this preseason. If you want to be a running, ball control team you need to keep the safeties away from the LOS. Goodwin over the top will be a theme this year (if healthy). Even if they miss him on the streak his presence helps the rest of the offense.

I used to believe this kind of thing every time the Bills brought in a fast guy. "Yeah, great now the defense has to respect the deep ball, and it will open things up underneath"...but it never seemed to help the terrible offenses we have had. If the guy can't catch it, or the the QB can't throw it, it's not going to be effective.

Goodwin hasn't shown the ability to consistently come down with the long ball.

Then why do you even care?

I don't claim to care deeply. I like discussing Bills football, and he is on the team.

I'm sure if I didn't come out in against the silly attacks on Tom Brady, you wouldn't care to jump in on this this part of the thread, either. There are a few dudes here who just can't get over it.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I used to believe this kind of thing every time the Bills brought in a fast guy. "Yeah, great now the defense has to respect the deep ball, and it will open things up underneath"...but it never seemed to help the terrible offenses we have had. If the guy can't catch it, or the the QB can't throw it, it's not going to be effective.

Really, I think that he has zero drops in his pro career. I don't know where you are getting that from?

Gee, sounds awesome....especially "if he stays healthy".

I think he should be doing everything he can to assure that he stays healthy enough to play football.

There's nothing you can do to stay healthy for football other than be in shape, which he is. Football is a violent sport and every player is one play away from their last play. The reason your earlier comment got called out, rightfully so, is because saying something like he needs to train to stay healthy is an empty statement. There's nothing he can do, other than what he is already doing, to assure he stays healthy.

Like I said, I do not believe the hype that Goodwin is injury prone. He's had two injuries (one a broken hand, the other a hammy that lingered) and a mysterious benching by a coach we've all come to see as being completely out of his depth. It's too soon to cast Goodwin aside.

I don't claim to care deeply. I like discussing Bills football, and he is on the team.

I'm sure if I didn't come out in against the silly attacks on Tom Brady, you wouldn't care to jump in on this this part of the thread, either. There are a few dudes here who just can't get over it.

Really, I think that he has zero drops in his pro career. I don't know where you are getting that from?

Exactly. HOF needs to brush up on his facts about the guy before he starts to trash him.

I actually have been mostly ignoring the Tom Brady thread so I wasnt even aware of your blashemy

I actually have been mostly ignoring the Tom Brady thread so I wasnt even aware of your blashemy

Also I would just like to point out one other thing

The amount of "weight" to try to prepare for taking hits to a frame like Goodwin would not amount to squat.....and would probably take away from his fast twitch speed wich would undermine his whole strength.

Olympians train YEAR ROUND.......they do not take months off like a lot of football players do in offseasons and then start their football training up again at a certain point........so in essence Flash Goodwin probably puts in more work then a lot of our wide receivers do as far as body preparation because he never actually stops.

and

One of Flash Goodwin's real strengths is his ability to high point a ball even though he is short in stature. You do realize that all this long jump training is the same training that allows him to high point balls?

You dont seem to know much about this stuff (and as a common fan your not required to) I thought you should know.

I'm expecting something like this from Goodwin this year:

20 catches for 375 yards and 3 TDs

That's probably not far off. Hopefully he will draw a couple of PI calls down the field as well. That may translate to 8-10 big plays. If even 1/2 of those come in games within a score he is a valuable piece. He is a guy that can make a big impact on a low snap count.