What is your hobby? Retirement ideas

mead107

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping for February. Thinking of building kids play tables and chairs. Opening a small store to sell kids sizes things .

I wouldn't open a store right away, start with the flea markets and farmers markets.

A boatload, actually. Gibby LP, couple of Strats, Epi LP & Breedlove & Washburn acoustics -6 & 12 strings, among others. Also building LP style for Grandboy -from a kit.

Nice! I am not much of a guitar player, but I have a Mexican-made Strat and and a Fender Sonoran acoustic, which I love. Went to a buddy's house yesterday and he had a sweet white Epi LP .... that was GIVEN to him by a guitarist friend of his. Lucky dude.

I've been thinking a lot about getting into the bass again, which was my first love. My son (12) also wants a bass, but he's lefty, so we can't share!

I still work and travel a lot in 6-12 weeks spurts but, Woodturning if you are handy and like to make things. Bonus get real artsy and roll in some cash. Loads of books i recommend a quick class to get it down. depending on how serious you get the initial cash outlay can br pricey or not.

i travel to south america sometimes for work then do a pleasure Trip add on. peru --- I could spend a year there and not get bored. trekking in the Andes is incredible. Hire Porters and live like a King for a few bucks a dsy. We tip heavily and blow their minds. it is very reasonable. Fishing = awesome. people and culture='great. been to Tierra Del Fuego but then the weather stopped us cold. We drove a lot of it. Crazy. bad weather for two weeks we left and could not cross. Panama & costa rica --- safe. Guatalmala -- Columbia? Always hire a " friend" That carrys a weapon. Unless you stay in goofy all inclusive beach " prisons" South America the best. it can be dirt cheap depending on what you require. A " two star" hotel in Peru is to me comparable to a 3-4 start US hotel. The history is amazing if you like that. I have connections for touring always go with a guide or " friend" when close to Bolivian border. Lots of bribes typically 5 bucks and under. A great guide/ body guard is typically $150 a week (before tip) and worth every penny. They can take you to do things you want in safety. very hard to spend $20 bucks a day on awesome dining. Tour companys blow, do your research and have a lot more fun, better dining, sights, everything. peru at Christmas Especially Cuzco or Lima is an event you will never forget. Again, it is reasonable and cheaper than a trip to say Hawaii. South America is just plain great. Match Pitchu takes planning but worth it. take at least one analog camera since digital stuff craps out when in the humid zones. they only issue 100 permits to trek there daily so a long lead time is suggested.

My work also gives me opprotunities to buy a lot of musical instruments so that is my downfall. i spend gobs of cash down there. Eurpoe is crazy pricey. Ditto Hong Kong, Japan. The Florida Keys well they do not call it " marvelous may" for nothing if you like to fish. Thats the month.

My retirement plan was Ecuador, but then I re-married...

Another beautiful and diverse country, and they adopted the US$ as their currency. Almost bought a beach-front condo for $35K, but the family decided to keep it.

SA is great travelling and cheap. Loved Peru, and Cuzco/MP. Been to Arequipa? I really liked that city. If not the beach, an ideal place to retire would be Mendoza, but I'd probably Malbec myself to death.