Free Windows 10 Upgrade Beginning 7/29: Who's in?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always go back to DOS 5 and Windows 3.1

I always wondered how that would perform on a modern machine.

You think HIMEM and EMM386 would allow me to access all of my 64GB? 640kb RAM, with 63.999GB of high memory?

Windows 10 review round-up: Microsoft’s new OS gets a thumbs up from critics

Microsoft’s Windows 8 was an attempt to bring touch to computing, but it did little to please audiences. Microsoft went wrong with Windows 8/8.1, and the all-new Windows 10 shows how the company gracefully accepted the mistake and made the right amendments. The initial reviews of Windows 10 are out, and the new OS version seems like a winner already.

Problem is with Windows 10 is Microsoft controls all of the updates and will update software whether you want them to or not.

This is dangerous for Microsoft in past have had "bugs" in code which prevented competitors code from working on Windows machines with Microsoft blaming other companies for not providing all of the source code to their software. There are dozens of items I have uninstalled for Windows for I have no need nor the security holes caused by the software.

Problem is with Windows 10 is Microsoft controls all of the updates and will update software whether you want them to or not.

This is dangerous for Microsoft in past have had "bugs" in code which prevented competitors code from working on Windows machines with Microsoft blaming other companies for not providing all of the source code to their software. There are dozens of items I have uninstalled for Windows for I have no need nor the security holes caused by the software.

As it was previously mentioned earlier in the thread, the home edition is the only one you will not be able to turn off the updates.

The other editions you will be able to.

Meaning it will change applications to prefer Microsoft like browsers back to IE for 10 years.

My wife did the upgrade to Win10 today. It made no changes to the default programs. Chrome is still her default browser,

and Thunderbird is still her default email client. So far, nothing has broken.

My wife did the upgrade to Win10 today. It made no changes to the default programs. Chrome is still her default browser,

and Thunderbird is still her default email client. So far, nothing has broken.

Have you tried Edge yet? Supposed to be to be as fast, if not faster, than Chrome.

Have you tried Edge yet? Supposed to be to be as fast, if not faster, than Chrome.

FWIW, she took a quick look at it, and went back to using Chrome.

She won't change unless she has to, or if there is a significant difference is functionality and/or usability.

I haven't made the switch yet (Letting the wife and her laptop be the guinea pig :D).

There have been a lot of privacy concerns with Windows 10 surfacing in the last 48 hrs. It's supposedly a lot more intrusive than previous operating systems. Might want to look into that before you upgrade if that kind of thing concerns you.

Hello adblock and adblock plus. :thumbsup:

Adblock is browser based, it will do nothing for advertising in other programs (i.e. Solitaire) or the OS itself.

The privacy concerns go far beyond simple advertising anyways.

Adblock is browser based, it will do nothing for advertising in other programs (i.e. Solitaire) or the OS itself.

The privacy concerns go far beyond simple advertising anyways.

Yeah that's true, but you can change the default settings in the OS.