US Open...Golf on Fox

plenzmd1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he made 3 bogeys on the final 9 and 3 putted from 12 feet on 18. as i recall he missed several putts inside 10 feet on the final 9. you don't win majors that way. i'd call it a meltdown but if not, it's definitely not champion level play.

Bingo. He had "control" of the tournament and lost it.

Yet he played one stroke worse than Spieth on Sunday. I guess its a very slim line between championship level play and meltdown.

When matters.

Bingo. He had "control" of the tournament and lost it.

When matters.

So if Jordan's double bogey on 17 cost him the win, would he still have been 'in control?' Or if 18 was played as a par four, rather than a five?

IMO, Dustin deserved to lose, given his back nine putting woes. But tee to green I thought he was the best guy on the course. It's a shame he's getting mocked the way I'm seeing around the web today....

You simply can't be a world class golfer, 3-putt from 12 feet, and not expect to be ridiculed. I see a lot of nonsense about whether to call it a meltdown, a choke, or whatever -- it doesn't matter. Golf is different from just about any other sport in that we all play it. We know what 2-putting from 12 feet means because we've all done it a million times. We know a major screw-up when we see it.

Spieth didn't choke or lose control on 17 -- he hit a bad tee shot. There is no comparison between an errant tee shot and 3-putting from 12 feet.

So if Jordan's double bogey on 17 cost him the win, would he still have been 'in control?' Or if 18 was played as a par four, rather than a five?

IMO, Dustin deserved to lose, given his back nine putting woes. But tee to green I thought he was the best guy on the course. It's a shame he's getting mocked the way I'm seeing around the web today....

Johnson had control (earlier) and blew it IMO. He then 3 putted from 12 feet to lose the tournament.

Jordan was clutch when it mattered. (I never said he had control of the tournament)

@FOXSports1

Is Tiger Woods done? @Brendan_Steele doesn't think so and believes he can still win a major (via @AmericasPregame)

https://twitter.com/FOXSports1/status/611921048229916673

Tiger has been beat by his own game. He changed the game and the design of courses and can't play them well anymore. Who knows if it is physical, mental or simply motivation. Probably all of them.

The first putt was too bold. Wiser strategy would have been to leave a gimme if it didn't go in, and secure at least a playoff. Maybe he got too caught up in wanting to close it with his family stationed behind the green. Speaking of which, something tells me be won't stay down long with this waiting for him at home

paulina-web.jpg

The first putt was too bold. Wiser strategy would have been to leave a gimme if it didn't go in, and secure at least a playoff. Maybe he got too caught up in wanting to close it with his family stationed behind the green. Speaking of which, something tells me be won't stay down long with this waiting for him at home

paulina-web.jpg

PLAYING THROUGH

You simply can't be a world class golfer, 3-putt from 12 feet, and not expect to be ridiculed. I see a lot of nonsense about whether to call it a meltdown, a choke, or whatever -- it doesn't matter. Golf is different from just about any other sport in that we all play it. We know what 2-putting from 12 feet means because we've all done it a million times. We know a major screw-up when we see it.

Spieth didn't choke or lose control on 17 -- he hit a bad tee shot. There is no comparison between an errant tee shot and 3-putting from 12 feet.

Except Spieth did 3 putt on 17 including a miss from 3 feet. That was after a ****ty tee shot.

totally agree. when the south african went ob, i didn't think that a choke as much as a bad swing. it's much easier to mishit a drive than a putt imo. lots more to go wrong. 3 putting from 12 feet is almost definitely nerves at this level. a push or big cut, not so much.

(I never said he had control of the tournament)

I guess I would then. Being up three strokes with two holes to play is pretty 'in control' to me. I'll give him props for getting a stroke back on 18 but he's lucky the USGA decided to make it a five instead of a four.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/sports/golf/an-unexpected-par-5-at-usopen-possibly-thanks-to-spieth.html

If Johnson makes his eagle on 18, the storyline today is how Jordan three-putted away the tourney...

Edited by Lurker

paulina-web.jpg

Get that girl a sandwich. Stat!

I guess I would then. Being up three strokes with two holes to play is pretty 'in control' to me. I'll give him props for getting a stroke back on 18 but he's lucky the USGA decided to make it a five instead of a four.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/sports/golf/an-unexpected-par-5-at-usopen-possibly-thanks-to-spieth.html

If Johnson makes his eagle on 18, the storyline today is how Jordan three-putted away the tourney...

ummm…the par for 1 hole or 72 holes in the championship doesn't matter. it's the total number of strokes taken to complete 72 holes. speith shot a 4 on the 72nd hole. johnson a 5. does anyone really think either would have tried a safer drive/approach to reach that hole in that situation if it had been deemed a 4 par instead of a 5 yesterday? hit their putts differently? no way.

johnson didn't make 3 on the 72nd hole. not even close. and he didn't make 4 even knowing he needed a 4 to keep alive. hence the story today.

Edited by birdog1960

hence the story today.

And yet, a few blades of Poa on 18 may have scrambled that headline...

http://www.businessinsider.com/dustin-johnson-us-open-greens-chambers-bay-2015-6

does anyone really think either would have tried a safer drive/approach to reach that hole in that situation if it had been deemed a 4 par instead of a 5 yesterday? hit their putts differently? no way.

Jordan needed a four to beat Oousthuizen and Johnson needed a four to tie Spieth--both guys would have attacked it either way.

One guy got his and the other didn't.

But he didn't 3-putt from 12 feet. That's (to me) the crux of the discussion.

Well sounds like he was thinking correctly , just one of those things.

I didnt even hit it, and it went four feet by, Johnson said. I was trying to make it but die it in the hole. I didnt want it to go by the hole much because as everyone knows, these greens, theyre fine, but you know, they do bounce.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/22/sports/golf/dustin-johnsons-dream-turns-real-on-no-18-then-nightmare-sets-in.html?referrer=

"the speith effect" http://jeffmacke1.tumblr.com/post/122164507463/the-spieth-effect-how-to-trade-golfs-comeback. ha ha...good, golf needs it. anyone else miss seeing kids out playing? rarely see any except when high school golf starts in the fall.

and johnson's birdie putt definetly bounced. but he pulled it. if he hadn't it probably would have gone in.