is the American red cross trustworthy?

disturbing report from pro publica on the red cross use (or nonuse) of $500 mil meant for haitian relief. - http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief. spoke to a friend that worked tangentially with them and he has not been impressed.

anyone with other experiences or info on this very large charitable organization?

disturbing report from pro publica on the red cross use (or nonuse) of $500 mil meant for haitian relief. - http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411524156/in-search-of-the-red-cross-500-million-in-haiti-relief. spoke to a friend that worked tangentially with them and he has not been impressed.

anyone with other experiences or info on this very large charitable organization?

I stopped donating after one of the major earthquakes about a decade ago when news started filtering out how little of the contributions actually go to help the affected areas.

Yeah, they piss money away like it's nothing. There's overhead, and that's expected for an organization that size. But the amount of money they spend on stupid **** is amazing.

Yeah, they piss money away like it's nothing. There's overhead, and that's expected for an organization that size. But the amount of money they spend on stupid **** is amazing.

This. I stick to local charities or direct action orgs like Donors Choose.

500 mil is half the annual budget for the entire country of haiti and they buil SIX houses with it. many smaller charities built many more with much less. when npr and propublica asked for detailed accounting, red cross refused. i'm wonder if it has more to do with thievery than incompetence.

500 mil is half the annual budget for the entire country of haiti and they buil SIX houses with it. many smaller charities built many more with much less. when npr and propublica asked for detailed accounting, red cross refused. i'm wonder if it has more to do with thievery than incompetence.

Probably a good amount of both.

BTW sounds like the government. "Yeah, it took $500m to build six houses. What's your point?"

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm on the board of a charity that built two houses in KY last year for about $120,000.

Then again, I'm guessing the Red Cross Treasurer pulled down slightly more than the tee shirt I got for annual comp. lol

It probably made its way into the Clinton Foundation... :devil:

Seriously...I've heard so many anecdotal stories about how so little of what's donated to the American Red Cross ultimately gets used for its intended purposes, I stopped donating to them a long time ago. It's also why I'm so extremely picky about the charities I donate to - the ARC, Salvation Army, and others have left me with such bad impressions of charities that I do quite a bit of research before I give anyone a dime nowadays.

500 mil is half the annual budget for the entire country of haiti and they buil SIX houses with it.

Sounds like they imported some DC developers...

I remember both the Red Cross and United Way came under fire after the attacks of 9/11 for how little they paid out in aid compared with the amount donated by the folks. I don't know if either had done much to improve that since then.

I remember both the Red Cross and United Way came under fire after the attacks of 9/11 for how little they paid out in aid compared with the amount donated by the folks. I don't know if either had done much to improve that since then.

And weren't there similar charges after the post-tsunami donations poured in?

At Deloitte they used to practically force us to contribute to United Way. What a scam that was.

This. I stick to local charities or direct action orgs like Donors Choose.

I donate to a local organization that houses a lot of my clients. Really great place with great people who make next to nothing when you think about the work they put in.

I donate to a local organization that houses a lot of my clients. Really great place with great people who make next to nothing when you think about the work they put in.

I donate my entire paycheck to a charity set up to help people who donate their entire paycheck to charity...

And weren't there similar charges after the post-tsunami donations poured in?

At Deloitte they used to practically force us to contribute to United Way. What a scam that was.

I don't remember exactly, but I think you're right about the tsunami relief.

They used to hound us every year here at work to contribute the the United Way. In fact, the union was involved in the effort as well as management (I rarely trust either one, but I'm always extremely skeptical of anything they're both involved with). They were very misleading about how they handled the donations. They had a massive list of charities that they contributed to, and would tell us to pick our favorites and they'd donate to them on our behalf. What they were actually doing was just collecting that money and dividing it up among all the charities on the list as they saw fit. That's why I stopped giving to them and just began donating directly to my choice of charities on my own.

You can't trust a thing that right-wing rag NPR.org tries to foist on the public.

I heard, I gave, I stopped giving wrt the Haitian earthquake. It was a devastating event and America gave hundreds of millions to help those in need and suffering. Then we heard that the docks in Haiti were kaput, and everything... EVERYTHING that was relief aid had to come in through the Dominican. EVERYTHING was held up at the border or never got out of the Dominican warehouses.

The Dominicans are more corrupt than Rahm Emanuel, and that's saying something. The few houses they did build don't have plumbing nor electricity. They're concrete cubes which is less than what Al Qaida has at Guantanamo. And yes, The Clinton Foundation is knee deep in making money on the misery of the blacks in Haiti. They don't give two ***** about them. They're all about the money - keeping 90 cents on the dollar. Farking bastages.

Edited by Nanker

You can't trust a thing that right-wing rag NPR.org tries to foist on the public.

I heard, I gave, I stopped giving wrt the Haitian earthquake. It was a devastating event and America gave hundreds of millions to help those in need and suffering. Then we heard that the docs in Haiti were kaput, and everything... EVERYTHING that was relief aid had to come in through the Dominican. EVERYTHING was held up at the boarder or never got out of the Dominican warehouses. The Dominicans are more corrupt than Rahm Emanuel, and that's saying something. The few houses they did build don't have plumbing nor electricity. They're concrete cubes which is less than what Al Qaida has at Guantanamo. And yes, The Clinton Foundation is knee deep in making money on the misery of the blacks in Haiti. They don't give two ***** about them. They're all about the money - keeping 90 cents on the dollar. Farking bastages.

BORDER, goddammit! "Borders" are boundaries. "BOARDERS" are people that sneak onto your boat in the middle of the night and slit your throat.

Why has that suddenly become a commonly confused homonym? I see that about five times a day now.

BORDER, goddammit! "Borders" are boundaries. "BOARDERS" are people that sneak onto your boat in the middle of the night and slit your throat.

Why has that suddenly become a commonly confused homonym? I see that about five times a day now.

but you don't even care that he wrote docs instead of docks - when I first read I was horrified about all the doctors that must have died

but you don't even care that he wrote docs instead of docks - when I first read I was horrified about all the doctors that must have died

No, I care...just not nearly as much. I don't see that five times a friggin' day.