Dareus Suspended for Game 1 of 2015 Season

The Bills should have cut this bum last year - Jerry Sullivan.

Dude has had a tough life and had a bad offseason. A game is fair and hopefully, it's the wake up call so he can finish up a Hall of Fame career. He has that type of talent and only injuries and himself can stop him.

I don't really see how it's fair, honestly. I know we are all glad that it wasn't more than 1 game, but still, why was he even suspended at all? First offense, it is a non banned substance, wasn't he cited not arrested (not sure on this), and he entered a pre-trial program right away. But really, it's about this being the first substance offense, and can it even be called an offense if it's for something the NFL doesn't ban?

I know Goodell has final say on what constitutes breaking the personal conduct policy, but I'm still confused on this. How does Dareus' situation compare to other first time 'offenders'? Has every first timer been suspended or has it been inconsistent? I'm just curious.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting caught with a substance not banned by the NFL and complying with the courts by entering the pre-trial diversion program and voluntarily entering the NFL's substance abuse program.

The league knew all that already and decided on a 1gamd suspension.

What's the usual the usual "substance abuse" suspension?

Why is he entering the NFL's substaance abuse program then?

By entering he seems to have surrendered your basis for appeal...

He entered it as an act of good faith. I don't think he had to, since spice isn't banned by the NFL.

And the basis for my appeal is that he didn't shy-away from admitting he did something wrong and complied with the court and voluntarily entered into the SAP. It would seem that that would/should count for something, but I guess not.

He entered it as an act of good faith. I don't think he had to, since spice isn't banned by the NFL.

And the basis for my appeal is that he didn't shy-away from admitting he did something wrong and complied with the court and voluntarily entered into the SAP. It would seem that that would/should count for something, but I guess not.

I think it did account for something. I think personally, that that's why he only got a game. Dareus has to be smart about however he approaches his appeal. He still has to deal with the drag racing issue and if he decides to fight hard on this one, could get the hammer dropped on him for the next. If I were an agent to any NFL player, I would tell them emphatically to PUT DOWN THE WEED. You're just being a moron and jeopardizing a multi-million dollar career to do so. Stop being stupid.

Admitting obvious guilt and accepting a deal in a criminal case is expected. He wasn't going to get credit by the NFL for that. That was obvious long ago. Entering the SAP is what prevented him form getting a longer suspension.

Another effort by the NFL to promote Andrew Luck despite his perpetual crapiness?

The best QB coming out of the draft in 10 years who is the most pro ready is perpetually crappy? Your kidding right. He has carried that team with mediocre talent for a couple of years.

That doesn't mean I'm happy losing one of our top players on defense for the game, but we do have depth on the line. It was a very fair penalty and I'm sure he is now in the program so he'll be tested a lot. That concerns me he'll get suspended again if marijuana is his drug of choice. You just hope the big payday is enough for him to stay clean.