Retirement savings?

mead107

I'm gonna have my children take care of me. Except I don't have any. So until that happens, hello lottery tickets!

I have two kids. I am not all that confident that they will even be able to take care of themselves. :-/

My penniless dad just moved in with me and I have two teenagers, a bigger house than I can afford, and no spouse to help out. My company just moved 20 miles further from my house so my gasoline bill doubled. Daughter is getting braces next week. And a needy girlfriend with two children of her own.I ain't saving chit at the moment.

Edit: the GF may be out of the picture soon. I got a "we need to talk" text message today. So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two kids. I am not all that confident that they will even be able to take care of themselves. :-/

My penniless dad just moved in with me and I have two teenagers, a bigger house than I can afford, and no spouse to help out. My company just moved 20 miles further from my house so my gasoline bill doubled. Daughter is getting braces next week. And a needy girlfriend with two children of her own.I ain't saving chit at the moment.

Edit: the GF may be out of the picture soon. I got a "we need to talk" text message today. So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Or maybe she lost her job and wants to move in with her kids and have you operate as one big happy family.

I am just the opposite. can't imagine moving somewhere and having to make new friends etc in your sixties or seventies. Our plan is to have a place in DC and one Richmond. We are actively looking now for a DC property that we can rent until we retire. Still have a ton of friends in DC.

Now, my plan also calls for a place in BFLO, wife just not aware of that part of the plan yet lol.

I don't have too many local friends, and I imagine our life paths will separate us eventually anyways... so I always imagine getting a cabin in the woods somewhere, and spending my days reading and looking at trees.

You guys are very smart when it comes to money. i wish I had saved more. My USPO pension is good. We dont go out alot so we would go get dinner out more or get a bigger tv. we bought our house in 1971 for $12,500 and that was alot back then. The prices are so high now. i feel sorry for you all.

You guys are very smart when it comes to money. i wish I had saved more. My USPO pension is good. We dont go out alot so we would go get dinner out more or get a bigger tv. we bought our house in 1971 for $12,500 and that was alot back then. The prices are so high now. i feel sorry for you all.

My best friend asked me to help him with some cash for a down payment on his 2nd house just last week.

He needs 10k more. He has 28k. Total down is 38k. 380k for the house.

According to him, this deal IS A STEAL!!!!!!

If you don't mind me asking... Are you a CSRS's retiree? Do you collect SS? That being, if you do... Did you kick into SS w/some other job?

My best friend asked me to help him with some cash for a down payment on his 2nd house just last week.

He needs 10k more. He has 28k. Total down is 38k. 380k for the house.

According to him, this deal IS A STEAL!!!!!!

My parents built their house, brand new, in South Cheektowaga for about 16k, brand new in the early 1960's. Almost 10 years later, poster Howard's house @ 12.5k sounds like a steal... Gotta be worth around a 100k now? My father still lives in the same house, I think is is worth ( or was) about 130,000.

Payment back then in the early 1960's was 110 bucks a month and my parents were sweating the payments.

SideNote: Father thought he had it paid off shortly after buying it. He and a friend hit the Finger Lakes racetrack and he almost won the longshot Trifecta. It would have paid out 17k... WOW! LMAO... Eff you freaking horses! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

If you don't mind me asking... Are you a CSRS's retiree? Do you collect SS? That being, if you do... Did you kick into SS w/some other job?

My parents built their house, brand new, in South Cheektowaga for about 16k, brand new in the early 1960's. Almost 10 years later, poster Howard's house @ 12.5k sounds like a steal... Gotta be worth around a 100k now? My father still lives in the same house, I think is is worth ( or was) about 130,000.

Payment back then in the early 1960's was 110 bucks a month and my parents were sweating the payments.

SideNote: Father thought he had it paid off shortly after buying it. He and a friend hit the Finger Lakes racetrack and he almost won the longshot Trifecta. It would have paid out 17k... WOW! LMAO... Eff you freaking horses! ;-)

Your parents were cheap.

Over 50 years to accumulate $115k in equity? We got double that in less than three years. :lol:

Over 50 years to accumulate $115k in equity? We got double that in less than three years. :lol:

Some are indifferent to money. What is important to you may not be important to me... As long as you don't impose your problems on others... Like rampant inflation

Sure, there are bigger winners, but there are also bigger losers... Then there are ones that stay the course modestly.

Think about all the ones that are upside down by a half a million and are walking away from the game... How destructive is that?

Your parents were cheap.

Maybe. But they were above their means. You figure, what was average wage in a one-income home? 4 grand a year. That's 1200 out of the gross for house.

Right now, I get 18k out of gross of 200k for housing... That's a big change and leads to a better quailty of life... More saving.

You move into a house to make a buck off of OTHER people's dreams... You move into a house to form a community. Well, @ least that is how I was raised. Yes, it may be cheap. Ralph was cheap and he put community up near the top while remaining personally solvent.

No voodoo with this @ all!

Loch Ness Monster gets about tree fiddy

And there is the "Jonsing" problem. Loch, you better keep up w/the Jones! ;-P

I don't see why I wouldn't get what I put in. By the time that I retire, I will have contributed to Social Security for *50* years.

Just kiss it good bye. "Pay Forward." Realize what a great country you live in. Does that help?

Do you have a dirt floor? Outhouse? Deal w/infectious diseases? Fight foreign wars.... Ooops, I went to far didn't I. ;-P ;-P

. . . Old CSSR's (Civil Service, no SS) would get closer to 80%... Of course they would just get their SS credit @ some other job. They had no matching on TSP I think... BUT kicked in 7.5% towards their pension. FER's has been around since I think 1984... There is still one guy @ my work who is CSSR's and of course has his SS points. :-/

If the guy's a friend of yours, make sure he knows about the "government pension offset" and "windfall elimination" provisions that can reduce Social Security retirement payments to someone who also gets a government pension other than Social Security. Not sure if either applies to him, but these provisions can come as a surprise to people who expect to get both a government pension and Social Security retirement income.

http://www.wiserwomen.org/index.php?id=256&page=Government_Pension_Offset_&_Windfall_Elimination_Provision

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/socialsecuritybenefits/a/Windfall-Elimination-Provision-How-It-Affects-Certain-Government-Employees.htm

If the guy's a friend of yours, make sure he knows about the "government pension offset" and "windfall elimination" provisions that can reduce Social Security retirement payments to someone who also gets a government pension other than Social Security. Not sure if either applies to him, but these provisions can come as a surprise to people who expect to get both a government pension and Social Security retirement income.

http://www.wiserwomen.org/index.php?id=256&page=Government_Pension_Offset_&_Windfall_Elimination_Provision

http://moneyover55.about.com/od/socialsecuritybenefits/a/Windfall-Elimination-Provision-How-It-Affects-Certain-Government-Employees.htm

Yup.

Jokingly... Why would I do that? He's 12 years older than me. My SS will probably not be there for me and they will boost me to 72 while the Boomer games the system and lives for ever and retires early.

His main job, he never kicked in, got SS points else where while moonlighting from his civil servitude. CSRS employees never kicked a dime into SS like the FER's federal employees do now. You weren't suppose to game the system moonlighting. 7.5% of his take home went to his CSRS pension. 1.5% goes to fund my pension while it is assumed SS will be a 3 prong approach to my FER's retirement... Along with my TSP (401k). CSRS retiree is getting a substantial increase in pension.

I will be freaking 68 and paying for his trips to Vegas. We actually had a 65+ year old guy working AND collecting SS... WTF.

Trust me... He knows how to game the system... Heck, I am 47 and they are sending me to a retirement seminar (probably just to fill a seat) this summer... Are you freaking kidding me?

Nah.I don't live in squalor like you. Thanks for the interesting visual though....

Ha!

Actually, I am sounding like my old-man... He was raised the squalor and didn't have indoor plumbing till the late 1940's. LoL...

Now get off my lawn! ;-)