FA Brad Smith visiting Bills. Yes, that one.

It's my opinion only, but I think Landry, Smith and Spikes will all sign one year deals with the Bills between the draft and TC. I don't know how soon they will happen, but imagine it will be determined based on interest, or lack thereof, with other teams.

I think it will be tough to sign all 3, our draft picks, and leave enough cushion for any mid season signings, but it may be possible!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my opinion only, but I think Landry, Smith and Spikes will all sign one year deals with the Bills between the draft and TC. I don't know how soon they will happen, but imagine it will be determined based on interest, or lack thereof, with other teams.

The Bills give up a compensatory draft pick next year if they sign Smith or Landry before May 12th as others have said -- so unless there is a huge market for either -- they are probably waiting... As far as Spikes goes the Bills have been hanging around Michigan State and Tony Lippert some --I think maybe this guy caught their eye..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/taiwan-jones?id=2552322

If he lasts until the 5th and some boards have him that low---Spikes may no longer be in their plans..

I think it will be tough to sign all 3, our draft picks, and leave enough cushion for any mid season signings, but it may be possible!

Dibbs will keep me honest on this -- but don't forget the top 51 rule...Lets say the Bills sign Smith to a vet min contract (which is $970,000 for a 10 year vet) and Landry and Spikes to $1.5 million contracts -- three contacts with $585,000 (which several players on the Bills around the 51st salary make) in base fall off the top 51 which means that the Bills get $1.755 million in "falling out of the top 51" cap room for these new contracts -- essentially only raises the cap commit by $2,215,000 to sign these three players to contracts that reflect their worth. This still leaves room for draft picks and a couple of vet mins in case of injury....

https://nflsalarycapguru.wordpress.com/

The top 51 rule means that for any player whose P5, again essentially meaning base salary, is not among the team’s highest 51 Cap numbers, his base salary would not count against the team’s total Salary Cap number during the offseason. However, all of the bonuses a player who does not fall under the top 51 would count against the team’s total Salary Cap.

For example, imagine a team’s 51st highest Cap number is $500,000. The team’s next highest Cap number is $475,000, which belongs to a second year player and the base salary is $465,000. That means there is $5,000 of a signing bonus proration and say a $5,000 workout bonus. This player falls outside the team’s top 51 highest salaries, therefore the players base salary of $465,000 does not count against the team Salary Cap, but the $10,000 would count against the team Salary Cap. The rest of the players on the team who are outside the top 51 would not have their minimum base salaries count against the Salary Cap, but would have their bonuses or other compensation count against the team Salary Cap.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Dibbs will keep me honest on this -- but don't forget the top 51 rule...Lets say the Bills sign Smith to a vet min contract (which is $970,000 for a 10 year vet) and Landry and Spikes to $1.5 million contracts -- three contacts with $585,000 (which several players on the Bills around the 51st salary make) in base fall off the top 51 which means that the Bills get $1.755 million in "falling out of the top 51" cap room for these new contracts -- essentially only raises the cap commit by $2,215,000 to sign these three players to contracts that reflect their worth. This still leaves room for draft picks and a couple of vet mins in case of injury....

https://nflsalarycapguru.wordpress.com/

The top 51 rule means that for any player whose P5, again essentially meaning base salary, is not among the teams highest 51 Cap numbers, his base salary would not count against the teams total Salary Cap number during the offseason. However, all of the bonuses a player who does not fall under the top 51 would count against the teams total Salary Cap.

For example, imagine a teams 51st highest Cap number is $500,000. The teams next highest Cap number is $475,000, which belongs to a second year player and the base salary is $465,000. That means there is $5,000 of a signing bonus proration and say a $5,000 workout bonus. This player falls outside the teams top 51 highest salaries, therefore the players base salary of $465,000 does not count against the team Salary Cap, but the $10,000 would count against the team Salary Cap. The rest of the players on the team who are outside the top 51 would not have their minimum base salaries count against the Salary Cap, but would have their bonuses or other compensation count against the team Salary Cap.

yup

also, if at vet minimum, these older guys get their cap hits reduced to encourage teams to sign vets despite the higher minimum pay. in your hypothetical, brad smiths 970k vet minimum would count 585k against the cap(2 year minimum), and after replacing a 500k player in our top 51 would be a change in cap less than 100k (last bit being bar napkin math without pulling up our 51st player to confirm exact amount)

Edited by NoSaint

yup

also, if at vet minimum, these older guys get their cap hits reduced to encourage teams to sign vets despite the higher minimum pay. in your hypothetical, brad smiths 970k vet minimum would count 585k against the cap(2 year minimum), and after replacing a 500k player in our top 51 would be a change in cap less than 100k (last bit being bar napkin math without pulling up our 51st player to confirm exact amount)

Off Topic but I was thinking how we used to trash Overdorf under Ralph and now he has been the man this offseason...

We used to write don't "Overdorf it up"

Now we say -- "Overdorf it done"....

Life under the Pegula's is definitely more fun....hopefully it results in more W's and January and February football.

Maybe this will help:

Smith 2013 rushing: 2 yrds, receiving: 27 yds, return: 106 yds

Smith 2014 rushing: 0 yds, receiving: 11 yards, return: 21 yds

Smith 2013-14 tackles: 9

I don't recall asking or needing help, but thanks :thumbsup: . Brad's skills were still badly understated, no? I understand he's been injured the last two years. You failed to mention that when posting he's stats. He lost 13 games to injury in those two years. Could it be age, bad luck, who knows. But to call him a kick returner and nothing else, while calling Easley a gunner and backup WR defies the two players careers.

Ok, so perhaps I overstated the case a bit. But that doesn't change the fact Smith was a terrible FA signing the first time around considering the $ they gave him and did very little in Buffalo.

And no, I don't misunderstand Smith. Those #s mislead people into thinking he was some kind of modern day Slash Stewart.

Return team: Half his career kick return yards came in one huge season in 2010, on a great Jets kick return unit. In Buffalo he was good but nothing special on returns (average return 3 yards less w/ Bills than w/ Jets). At 31 can we agree he's finished as a kick returner?

On offense: those 1900+ total yards have come over 9 seasons, ~200 yards per season isn't difficult to find. Would he contribute anything on offense going forward? Is he going to take touches away from McCoy/Sammy/Harvin/Woods/FJ? I think the people who misunderstand Smith are the ones who keep pegging him as a WR.

Look, good for Brad Smith for squeezing out an NFL career when he has no real position on the field, but I just don't get the notion that he belongs on the roster in 2015.

Yet your pegging Easley as a WR with career stats of 2 rec. for 13 yards, and for the record Brad done 10 times what Easley has in his career.