EJ worked out with former NFL QB Steve DeBerg

That they haven't come close to achieving their goals.

Still not all of it. How about that they are getting closer to achieving their goals than ever? You can't make the playoffs without winning games and you can't win the Super Bowl without making the playoffs.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ej said film is one of the things DeBerg helped with. He sent him all of his film from NFL (as well as some from college) and DeBerg studied it and gave him feedback. Seems like a good thing to do in the offseason. I really don't get why some actually have acted like this is not a good thing for EJ to do. He has no access to team coaches in the offseason. He can watch it himself obviously, but of course it is better to also get the opinion of a guy who played the position for a really long time as well as coached it. Baffling really that it's met with any negativity.

I think it's just mental laziness. Deberg, overall, is regarded as a decidedly mediocre NFL QB, so what could he have to teach that would really help EJ? Now if he'd been studying film with Jim Kelly or Brett Favre, then we'd be all impressed.

If one dusts off the brain cells a bit and thinks about it - when a guy is drafted in the 10th round and builds it into a 17-yr long NFL career, having his best seasons and playoffs at the age of 36 and 37, how did he do that? Chances are he didn't achieve that by physical talent and natural aptitude, but by hard work and becoming a student of the game.

That's the kind of a guy who just might have something to teach a youngster. Whereas I remember a successful NFL QB, can't remember who, talking about throwing with Favre and Favre saying "oh you need to do this" and whipping the ball out and not being able to figure out what Favre was doing or get him to explain it (probably because he didn't really understand it himself, he just DID IT).

The main thing I don't like about the idea is that DeBerg was not noted throughout his career for low INTs. His best years, he was very good to good, so it's not intrinsic. I never watched enough of him to understand what was going on, was it the competitor, team is behind, pushing to try to make something happen or was it bad decision making, or both?

Still not all of it. How about that they are getting closer to achieving their goals than ever? You can't make the playoffs without winning games and you can't win the Super Bowl without making the playoffs.

yeah and it is a pity Orton ruined that for Buffalo

Orton failed to lead the team to victories against the lowly Raiders. Hell the Bills D even had the Bronc's against the ropes and KO couldn't play consistently enough to win.

yeah and it is a pity Orton ruined that for Buffalo

Orton failed to lead the team to victories against the lowly Raiders. Hell the Bills D even had the Bronc's against the ropes and KO couldn't play consistently enough to win.

All parts of the team had some failures in those games.

First winning season in a decade is a pretty good consolation prize.

Consolation prize or not, I doubt the players look at there season and think "Well at least we had a winning record". They had a winning record because the eventual SB Champs laid down in week 17. I would hope they look at there season and think "Why couldn't we beat the Raiders?" or "Why couldn't we beat the Chiefs?".

In my mind there is no consolation prize, that's like saying the consolation prize of the 2011 season was that the Bills beat the Patriots*. That's great and all and was exciting at the time but looking back on it, it means nothing. The Bills proceeded to go 0-5 against the Pats* after. They were no where closer to the goal, which should be to win a Super Bowl.

You are moving steadily away from your original comment, obfuscating if you will.

And that's irrelevant.

Not irrelevant at all. They didn't achieve their goals because of the offense. Orton was brought in to "save the season" yet didn't get the job done.

Totally relevant. Though I can see how someone who consistently argues the opposite point of view would want to just dismiss it.

You don't get to carry over wins from a previous season. Tell me how going 9-7 under Mularkey helped this team move closer to achieving their goals?

Not irrelevant at all. They didn't achieve their goals because of the offense. Orton was brought in to "save the season" yet didn't get the job done.

Totally relevant. Though I can see how someone who consistently argues the opposite point of view would want to just dismiss it.

You don't get to carry over wins from a previous season. Tell me how going 9-7 under Mularkey helped this team move closer to achieving their goals?

They got their participation trophy, apparently that's good enough for some.

Yes, you are. That wasn't your original comment & that's enough off topic.

Sphere o' Beer, I love you man...I'd even give you my bud lite...but "thread drift" has been part of internet bulletin boards since they existed.

If you persist in trying to define and enforce topics for threads and keep them "on topic", well, I kind of admire it, but I think you're going to have a frustrating mod life

I think it's just mental laziness. Deberg, overall, is regarded as a decidedly mediocre NFL QB, so what could he have to teach that would really help EJ? Now if he'd been studying film with Jim Kelly or Brett Favre, then we'd be all impressed.

If one dusts off the brain cells a bit and thinks about it - when a guy is drafted in the 10th round and builds it into a 17-yr long NFL career, having his best seasons and playoffs at the age of 36 and 37, how did he do that? Chances are he didn't achieve that by physical talent and natural aptitude, but by hard work and becoming a student of the game.

That's the kind of a guy who just might have something to teach a youngster. Whereas I remember a successful NFL QB, can't remember who, talking about throwing with Favre and Favre saying "oh you need to do this" and whipping the ball out and not being able to figure out what Favre was doing or get him to explain it (probably because he didn't really understand it himself, he just DID IT).

The main thing I don't like about the idea is that DeBerg was not noted throughout his career for low INTs. His best years, he was very good to good, so it's not intrinsic. I never watched enough of him to understand what was going on, was it the competitor, team is behind, pushing to try to make something happen or was it bad decision making, or both?

See this makes sense now. I thought he was working out with CHRIS deBURGH....

602498788004_upc_416x312_03.jpg

Edited by Garranimal

Sphere o' Beer, I love you man...I'd even give you my bud lite...but "thread drift" has been part of internet bulletin boards since they existed.

If you persist in trying to define and enforce topics for threads and keep them "on topic", well, I kind of admire it, but I think you're going to have a frustrating mod life

No, not really. I only "enforce" this when I'm one of the main culprits or things get too far off the tracks.

Meanwhile...back on topic.

You are moving steadily away from your original comment, obfuscating if you will.

that is his MO.

turn the topic then accuse you of getting things bassackwards

All parts of the team had some failures in those games.

yet when EJ was the QB you laid the blame on him alone ie JJ Watt INT

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever