If We Fired Marrone Before Last Season And Upgraded Pettine

What about the Jets when Pettine was the DC? Are you comparing the Browns' personnel and all their issues with what might be the most talented defense in the NFL right now? The guy can coach defense.

There are plenty of reasons why teams perform the way they do. It seems to be in vogue to take the easy explanation (in this case, Schwarz is a better coach which seems odd given he's not coaching in the NFL right now and the conventional "wisdom" on this board was hiring him and "The Wide 9" is a mistake) but that doesn't make it reality.

for the most part I think that you're right. Bradham, Dareus, Brown and especially Spikes made an enormous impact on the run defense. The Bills players did, however, speak openly about how Schwartz was a much bigger stickler to detail and assignments and that played a big role in their run defense improvement. Plus the fact that we didnt gamble so much on blitzing which often left one guy responsible for stopping the run if the offense happened to call the right play.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• What if Scott Norwood made that kick?
  • What if we never traded LaMonica?
  • What if Flutie started that game in Memphis?
  • What if they would have noticed Brett Hull's skate in the crease?
  • What if that last play in the Music City Travesty didn't happen?
  • What if we would have beat Pittsburgh's second and third stringers in '04?
  • What if we would have won one of those Super Bowls?

Thanks.

Just when i think a Monday can't suck worse! ha

The interesting part is that the entire franchise has a fresh, cleansed, and positive, forward-looking feel to it these days.

And that largely hinges around the change at HC.

And that was an accident, dictated by Marrone himself, not OBD.

Well they weren't going to fire Marrone after just one season. So it's kind of a moot point. Still I think having Schwartz with last years defense was better than Pettine, Pettine's scheme was very aggressive but it also resulted in huge running lanes as players were shooting gaps and over pursuing.

Would we have made the playoffs? Unlike Marrone, Pettine was agressive and Pettine was the 8th most agressive coach last season, above Bill Belichick. He would have went for it more on 4th and 1, and possibly even 4th and longer distances. Also, he went 7-9 with the Browns of all teams with their part of their offensive line injured, Cameron injured a lot, Gordon suspended, and the hype with Johnny Bust. Wonder what he could do with a real football team. What do you think, would we have made the playoffs? I feel we would have went 11-5, won the Chiefs and Raiders game with Pettine.

That said, I still prefer Rex Ryan as our coach.

Marrone was the upgrade over Pettine--he got the Bills to 9-7 with a couch-ready Kyle Orton.

Pettine is in way over his head. He was the worst run team in the NFL's 5th choice (wiser men turned them down). He'll be fired within 2 seasons.