Rex and Whaley discuss the OL

If I'm Kraig Urbik, I hate the sound of "I don't want him starting" from Rex Ryan. I'm not sure how to feel about him saying those words. Personally, I understand and agree with that statement, but do you say that about any player, EVER to the media or to the players?

Rex didn't say it, the writer said it.

I just looked at it again and it does look like Rex said it.

It's not entirely clear, but I don't think so. Here is the excerpt:

“And then having” veteran guard “Kraig Urbik back” after having his contract restructured to lower his cap hit “is a huge plus. In an ideal world, you want him to be your sixth man where he backs up center and both guards. I don’t want him starting.

“We’ll see how it develops.”

Notice where the quotation marks have been placed. I think it was deliberate.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It's not entirely clear, but I don't think so. Here is the excerpt:

And then having veteran guard Kraig Urbik back after having his contract restructured to lower his cap hit is a huge plus. In an ideal world, you want him to be your sixth man where he backs up center and both guards. I dont want him starting.

Well see how it develops.

Notice where the quotation marks have been placed. I think it was deliberate.

i agree the quotation marks look weird. But it isn't an op-Ed piece... Carucci is reporting on what rex talked about. So it doesn't make sense that Carucci would insert his own opinion of who he wants to start.

i agree the quotation marks look weird. But it isn't an op-Ed piece... Carucci is reporting on what rex talked about. So it doesn't make sense that Carucci would insert his own opinion of who he wants to start.

Well, but it also doesn't make sense that the HC would say something like that about a player who was starting last year and who may be called upon to start again. In fact, it would be almost unprecedented.

Well, but it also doesn't make sense that the HC would say something like that about a player who was starting last year and who may be called upon to start again. In fact, it would be almost unprecedented.

i think they have decided he isn't starting. I don't know if it was nice of Rex to say it the way he did in the media, but Urbik took a pay cut, was benched for most of last season, and the writing is on the wall that they want incognito to start there. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think they have decided he isn't starting. I don't know if it was nice of Rex to say it the way he did in the media, but Urbik took a pay cut, was benched for most of last season, and the writing is on the wall that they want incognito to start there.

It looked to me like he said he doesn't want him starting. Perhaps Rex watched last years Raider game with a playoff berth on the line. If I'm Rex I wouldn't want "him" (Urbik) on the roster at all, but then given who Whaley acquired so far Urbik is a viable stop gap over nothing. All three rookies played very poorly last year. Henderson showed he doesn't have the agility to block a speed rusher, and got worse as the year went on. I just don't see him at LT, and an Incognito outburst might ensue if he does.. just like with Martin.

Richardson was a decent run blocker but was owned so badly as a pass blocker he was benched in favor of Urbik. Who Marrone wanted the guy gone before the start of the season, and the FO told him no. #2 pick Cujo was so bad he didn't even see the field all season.

Kraig Urbik's best ability is to fool the world he is a decent starter all the way up to an important road game. The guy is an adequate pass blocker at times, and a terrible run blocker. I know I've said this a dozen times over the last few months but it bears repeating until others realize how bad this player really is. Urbik was manhandled by scrub Raider DT Antonio Smith who was just cut from the Raiders. Smith had only 20 tackles all of last year, and one of them came from pushing Urbik 5 yards into the backfield to stuff Spiller for a 5 yard loss.

One last thing to remember is that Ryan didn't build that 2009 playoff ground and pound O line with the NY Jets, as he inherited it from Mangini. LT All pro D'Brickashaw Ferguson, LG All Pro Alan Fanaca, All pro C Nick Mangold, All pro RG Brandon Moore, All pro RT Damien Woody were already on that 2009 team from the year before. (The LT, LG, C were all pro before 2009) When the team started replacing players on that line it also caused them to field a worse offense. It really looks to me like Ryan doesn't have much ability to evaluate line talent, and his forte is the defensive side.

Lets hope new line coach Aaron Kromer is the man who can coach the players on the roster to an acceptable level.

It looks weird because there is only one quotation mark in the middle of the paragraph with no end quote. It looks more like Vic reporting and injecting an opinion on the matter.

At the same time, after what Rex said about brown I don't doubt he may have said that he doesn't want urbik starting.

Either way, I prefer urbik not starting as well.

Edited by The Wiz

I think players want the truth, not just smoke blown up their asses. Its up to Urbik to prove him weong but at least he knows wxactly where he stands. Thats all you can ask for from your boss.

Totally going by memory and still a very slim sample size but ... - which side did Henderson line-up against the Giants in last years HOF game ? I remember him stone walling JPP but cant remember which side he was on.

He played left tackle I believe because Glenn was out on Medical Leave.

I'm still thinking they take a LB at 50, though I'm hoping there's a day-one-starter at G sitting there for them. I have no reason to think this way, it's just a hunch.

It's amazing what low expectations i.e. no 1st rd pick will do. I've actually enjoyed this draft season as a result.