Could Homosexuality Be Hereditary?

Gugny

I've never thought so. I do believe people are born with their sexual preference. But I've got a friend who has two sisters. Both of his sisters are gay and he is straight.

I recently discovered that his son (13-years-old) came out of the closet.

I still don't believe homosexuality is hereditary, but this really made me give it more thought.

When I worked at Stanford back about 20 years ago, now faculty member was studying genetic and heredity. IMHO he was gay (stereotypical affectations), but he couldn't find any linkages between homosexuality and any genetic markers.

I've never thought so. I do believe people are born with their sexual preference. But I've got a friend who has two sisters. Both of his sisters are gay and he is straight.

I recently discovered that his son (13-years-old) came out of the closet.

I still don't believe homosexuality is hereditary, but this really made me give it more thought.

My cousin (mothers brother son) is gay, my brother has 2 sons that are gay...... so...... it's possible it's a genetic thing.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

My mothers brother had a son who was gay, my brother has 2 sons that are gay...... so...... it's possible it's a genetic thing.

Ah, but there is a slight but important difference between "genetic" and "hereditary."

I'm pretty sure twin studies have been done, but I don't know what the results were. Mostly because I don't care.

Ah, but there is a slight but important difference between "genetic" and "hereditary."

I'm pretty sure twin studies have been done, but I don't know what the results were. Mostly because I don't care.

Where is D523453646 or Tim when you need him? He'd gladly explain that since homosexuality cannot be attributed to a single "gay gene" and because polygenetic expression is just too difficult to even contemplate, homosexuality must be caused by a defect in the cerebral cortex during childhood or good old fashioned free will.

Where is D523453646 or Tim when you need him? He'd gladly explain that since homosexuality cannot be attributed to a single "gay gene" and because polygenetic expression is just too difficult to even contemplate, homosexuality must be caused by a defect in the cerebral cortex during childhood or good old fashioned free will.

Is that like when a goalie is destined to choke in the big game because of his oddly shaped head?

twin studies as in dual or studies of twins?

I mention this because my cousin is a twin w/a sister, I am a twin w/my sister, my 2 nephews are males and separated years apart with one sibling between them.

I mention this because my cousin is a twin w/a sister, I am a twin w/my sister, my 2 nephews are males and separated years apart with one sibling between them.

Identical twin studies. Studies of twins.

Studies of twin siblings.

Lots of them for psychology experiments - track down adult twins who were separated at birth (adopted out to different families). Get enough of a sample set and look for correlations in behavior. You can do it with twins that grew up together, but separated is better since it reduces environmental factors.

Good for establishing the existence of genetic factors in behavior. Less so for homosexuality, though, since it's entirely possible that homosexuality has at a root cause in utero hormonal factors, which would skew the results in a twin study (since both twins would be exposed to the same factors). Still useful in establishing "nature vs. nurture," though.

What if gayness was caused by a prenatal virus/environmental factor(other than a hormone)?

Now stay with me here, because that also might finally give us a rational explanation for bisexuals. IF you only get a weak strain, you aren't totally moved to the other team.

Otherwise, I don't see the logic in "I have been partially gay since birth". IF there is a cause, and it's not free will, then that cause must be a definitive cause, for gays to claim that they are born gay. Thus, for bisexuals to claim the same "from birth" status as gays claim, there would have to be some sort of definitive, but also graduated, mechanism at work.

Differing levels of exposure to that cause, would produce differing levels of sexual preference. Exposure to a virus, or some sort of environmental factor, could be graduated, and therefore, would explain it all. You get hit with high levels, your brain develops, and you're Mr. Slave. You get hit with nothing, your brain develops, and you're John Boehner.

This would also explain why heredity seems to correlate: if the virus was passed from mother to child, etc., or, if a nuclear/extended family were all exposed to the same environmental factor, and are routinely exposed to each other, what looks like heredity could actually be one of these instead. Individual mutation, or inherited genetic, immunity to the virus/factor could cause straight kids to be produced, despite their exposure. While some kids end up half-exposed, thus, bi, and others, fully gay. (Fully gay is the best way I can describe it. Give me better terms, and I'll use them).

This currently seems to be the best fit as an explanation, for me anyway. Is there a better explanation for Tom Brady, other than being 20% exposed? :lol:

EDIT: Christ, I forgot the conclusion. So, rather than looking for the gay gene/the gene that causes gayness, my hypothesis says we should be looking for the gay virus/factor immunity gene instead. Perhaps they've spent years looking for the wrong thing?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

What if gayness was caused by a prenatal virus/environmental factor(other than a hormone)?

Now stay with me here, because that also might finally give us a rational explanation for bisexuals. IF you only get a weak strain, you aren't totally moved to the other team.

Otherwise, I don't see the logic in "I have been partially gay since birth". IF there is a cause, and it's not free will, then that cause must be a definitive cause, for gays to claim that they are born gay. Thus, for bisexuals to claim the same "from birth" status as gays claim, there would have to be some sort of definitive, but also graduated, mechanism at work.

Differing levels of exposure to that cause, would produce differing levels of sexual preference. Exposure to a virus, or some sort of environmental factor, could be graduated, and therefore, would explain it all. You get hit with high levels, your brain develops, and you're Mr. Slave. You get hit with nothing, your brain develops, and you're John Boehner.

This would also explain why heredity seems to correlate: if the virus was passed from mother to child, etc., or, if a nuclear/extended family were all exposed to the same environmental factor, and are routinely exposed to each other, what looks like heredity could actually be one of these instead. Individual mutation, or inherited genetic, immunity to the virus/factor could cause straight kids to be produced, despite their exposure. While some kids end up half-exposed, thus, bi, and others, fully gay. (Fully gay is the best way I can describe it. Give me better terms, and I'll use them).

This currently seems to be the best fit as an explanation, for me anyway. Is there a better explanation for Tom Brady, other than being 20% exposed? :lol:

EDIT: Christ, I forgot the conclusion. So, rather than looking for the gay gene/the gene that causes gayness, my hypothesis says we should be looking for the gay virus/factor immunity gene instead. Perhaps they've spent years looking for the wrong thing?

If one's brain developed, one would most certainly NOT be John Boehner.

If one's brain developed, one would most certainly NOT be John Boehner.

Are you trying to hijack your own thread?

Gayness is not hereditary. The last I heard one must be at least somewhat attracted to another female person in order to get it up. Getting it up is sorta necessary to inseminate someone who has a vagina.

Oops. I forgot all about Tom Brady and his vagina. Never mind.