Offensive line scheme

Drreef2

This topic is to stimulate discussion on blocking/ offensive line principles...

What is Roman's scheme for the offensive line for the run game? What was it last 2 years under Marrone and Hackett? What made it work so well with Gailey? What kind of blocking scheme were used- zone vs angle blocking? The players are similar but very different results.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gailey does a great job of using the whole field, finding gaps in the defense and taking what the defense gives him.

Marrone/Hackett tried to move mountains with a Volvo.

Roman will impose his will, line up, and dare the defense to stop him. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple TEs, unbalanced lines, down hill power smoked with misdirection.

Gailey does a great job of using the whole field, finding gaps in the defense and taking what the defense gives him.

Roman will impose his will, line up, and dare the defense to stop him. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple TEs, unbalanced lines, down hill power smoked with misdirection.

Sounds a bit complex for an OLine that cant even handle LB stunts

Sounds a bit complex for an OLine that cant even handle LB stunts

This is sad and funny as hell.

I cant answer the question>

But i do know that these Offense coaches have a ton more experience than my little Buddy.

I was never pleased about sending Joe D' down the road and bringing in Pat Morris. and now i dont like Pat Morris one bit.

so i expect some continuity and confidence from who ever are the front five. or six!

I wouldn't underestimate the power of good coaching.

Thank you.

Edited by 3rdand12

But, but, but...Doug Moron was a oline genius... I mean, he must be. Jax thinks he is.

😃

This is sad and funny as hell.

I cant answer the question>

But i do know that these Offense coaches have a ton more experience than my little Buddy.

I was never pleased about sending Joe D' down the road and bringing in Pat Morris. and now i dont like Pat Morris one bit.

so i expect some continuity and confidence from who ever are the front five. or six!

Thank you.

Not sure if sarcasm or agreeing...

What I dont understand......

I know we are probably going to draft OL....but if that is the system we are gonna use Justin Blaylock (who fits that scheme) is STILL sitting out there unsigned

He's 31 and was due almost $5M. I agree, he's durable, he's good in a man scheme, I think he'd be a good addition - this is where I feel a little frustration because, we probably can't pay him $5M now but could we, before we signed Harvin? Is Blalock, a durable 7 yr vet, really only worth a vet-min, $1M kind of pay? Is he too slow for them? Mike Pollak is also still available...he has slipped a bit and speculation is he could be had for vet minimum but he could certainly be good depth...is he really no better than Urbik?

I don't know.

He's 31 and was due almost $5M. I agree, he's durable, he's good in a man scheme, I think he'd be a good addition - this is where I feel a little frustration because, we probably can't pay him $5M now but could we, before we signed Harvin? Is Blalock, a durable 7 yr vet, really only worth a vet-min, $1M kind of pay? Is he too slow for them? Mike Pollak is also still available...he has slipped a bit and speculation is he could be had for vet minimum but he could certainly be good depth...is he really no better than Urbik?

I don't know.

A rookie is cheaper?

I haven't heard his name much lately.

Good point, nonetheless

Not sure if sarcasm or agreeing...

The

Thank You

is agreeing!!

with 3rdand12, I can never tell...

Hey !

What I dont understand......

I know we are probably going to draft OL....but if that is the system we are gonna use Justin Blaylock (who fits that scheme) is STILL sitting out there unsigned

I feel pretty strongly , it should be a plug and and play of a known quantity> we really need to get up and running quickly this year

I don't know.

Is better than Urbik better than Chris Williams. Urbik is serviceable and a BU Ctr.

I think we need someone in front of him. and thats dependant on Richie. can that that S Wisniewski play guard?.

Whaley is going to free up some money.

Bills put a prom dress on Hogan maybe, add a late pick ??

lets not forget we still need a TE.

I'm not convinced Marrone continued to use a ton of zone schemes once he realized his guards weren't up to the task. I seem to recall looking at a bunch of All-22 footage where they were getting beat man to man. And they were terrible when trying to run simple traps, too.

GO BILLS!!!

for the love 'o mike.. will you people please learn what a zone blocking scheme is?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

our personnel is too big, too slow and too unathletic to commit to such a scheme.

the fact that we dont have guards who are athletic enough to pull on traps and power sweeps, makes me question how Roman and Cromer plan on getting more men playside in their 'power' scheme.. depending on the FB and TE/H-back to engage much larger D linemen is not a sustainable strategy.

for the love 'o mike.. will you people please learn what a zone blocking scheme is?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2014/2/18/5394212/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-zone-blocking-scheme-tom-cable

our personnel is too big, too slow and too unathletic to commit to such a scheme.

the fact that we dont have guards who are athletic enough to pull on traps and power sweeps, makes me question how Roman and Cromer plan on getting more men playside in their 'power' scheme.. depending on the FB and TE/H-back to engage much larger D linemen is not a sustainable strategy.

That's why Marrone seemed to go away from this philosophy; his guards were too slow in their footwork and couldn't get to their assignments before losing gap control. And I agree, unless Kromer and Roman are gonna work some athletic magic and teach these guys how to dance, I'm wondering how they're gonna draw things up. More than one way to skin a cat, though.

GO BILLS!!!

That's why Marrone seemed to go away from this philosophy; his guards were too slow in their footwork and couldn't get to their assignments before losing gap control. And I agree, unless Kromer and Roman are gonna work some athletic magic and teach these guys how to dance, I'm wondering how they're gonna draw things up. More than one way to skin a cat, though.

GO BILLS!!!

frankly.. i don't recall our linemen ever running zbs.. unless their technique was so sloppy, and their execution so poor that i failed to recognize it - and if you've seen it on film, i wont argue that. i'm hoping Williams becomes our most effective guard, but counting on a guy with a history of back problems to line up week in - week out - may be asking too much.. it'll definately be an interesting camp as the line situation evolves

Power man under Roman

Zone scheme under Marrone

Gailey uses zone based schemes out of spread forms

My concern with power man with Roman is that we need a mobile guard to pull. Hope we can get around that with added blocking from fullback and tight ends.

Did Gailey's scheme work because of spreading them out or was Levitre that important to the line? He hasn't done much in Tennessee but wish he stayed.

Yeah he might have gotten a little bogged down with that

02_EC700_7346.jpg