Would You Rather - Fitzpatrick or Cassel?

BBills14

Fitz by a lot. But I truly believe Taylor or EJ (OMG) will win the job. Taylor will be valuable if the line doesn't improve as I'm sure he is a decent scrambler... well he better be! Pick a G/T with pick #50. I counted about 11 guys in the 2015 draft that could start @ guard for us(some are listed at tackle). Hoping all 11 aren't taken by then. Still need @ safety & LB's but this year could be very good and by 2016 we could be dominant .... Yes I said WE........Been faithful since 1965 ! Go Bills

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On October 28, 2011, Fitzpatrick signed a six year, $59 million contract extension including a $10 million signing bonus with the Bills. He had three 300-yard performances in the 2011 season, with a season high 369 yards vs. the Patriots.
Let's pretend like we were paying him what he's actually worth.
Would you rather - Fitzmagic or Cassel?

Did you get permission from \GoBillsinDallas/ to create this thread?

The love affair with Fitz will never die for some.

Sorry to pick on you dude, but this post epitomizes the way viewpoints get exaggerated to extremes here by some.

"Love affair"?

Fitz is a mediocre QB who has spent 10 years playing on mostly crappy teams, significant playing time in 7 of those years. When placed in a pass-happy offense, he obliged with 3 consecutive >3000 yd, 23 or 24 TD seasons at the cost of a buttload of interceptions. When placed in a run-first offense, he obliged with lower passing yardage and also lower INTs. Career, he's a 60% completion guy with 1.2 TD/INT ratio and 1.4 TD per start. He's good for about 3.6 rushing attempts per game and averages 4.6 ypa. He averages 0.6 fumbles/start. He can adapt and play decently in a number of different systems. HIs last 4 years have shown improvement with his best year as a pro being 2014.

Cassel is a mediocre QB who has significant playing time in 7 of his 10 years in the league. He's had the chance to play on 2 playoff contenders and had 2 >3000 yd, 21 or 27 TD seasons with them. Career, he's a 59% completion guy with 1.4 TD/INT and 1.4 TD per start. He's good for about 2.7 rushing attempts per game and averages 3.8 ypa. He averages 0.7 fumbles/start. He seems to be a system guy who functions well in a run-first offense and flounders in some other systems. He's been an up-and-down guy, which largely reflects whether or not he's in the right system IMO.

No fan in their right mind has a love affair with either of them. They are what they are - servicable veteran QB who can play in the NFL. Statistically, they're very close but under the hood they're different guys and it's a reasonable question to discuss which would be the better choice as a servicable, gap-filling vet. I haven't seen as much of Cassel but what I have seen says he's got the better arm for those intermediate and outside throws and better pocket feel, so he's probably the better choice for the system Roman wants to run but if the system doesn't suit him he can be horrific.

Why try to turn the discussion into something it's not with this "love affair" crap?

Edited by Hopeful

Fitz played on a team with a historically bad defense. One of the worst units the Bills have ever put on the field. Fitz's strength was his attitude and smarts. This defense would be able to recover from the ridiculous INT he would throw from time to time. And Fitz would more than often get 7 points off of a turnover or short filed this defense would create. Fitz and this team would be 11-5 and winners of the AFC East.

I look at Cassell and I see Jauron's wet dream. Dink and dunk and don't mess it up for the defense. That is not what this team needs. This team needs to score early, score off of turnovers, and then let the defense pressure the QB mercilessly. This team needs an aggressive QB not a Trent Edwards type.

Yeah, and it's interesting to note that even with that offense which had explosive stretches, he was working with 1. Stevie Johnson with a bum groin, 2. Donald Jones? nuff said 3. and David Nelson, who had some nice games but is hardly Percy Harvin. There were numerous injuries on that team including Fred Jackson who was leading the NFL in rushing for a stretch and Fitz still approached 4000 yards even after he broke his ribs (the game after he signs a huge contract, so Bills of him, ugh). I'm not saying I'd take him over Cassel yet, Cassel has a slightly better arm and more winning seasons, however it would be interesting to see how Fitz would play with these new toys we've just brought aboard. He just last year had his career best completion percentage on a team that really didn't have many threats on it at all. Who knows, I think sometimes we forget that we were the No-named offense for a reason.

Edited by Billsfansince90

Why try to turn the discussion into something it's not with this "love affair" crap?

I understand that your particular topic was comparing and contrasting relatively similar QBs. In that, I have no issue. To be honest, I saw Fitz in the title and just assumed this was another thread pining for him. He's been gone 3 seasons and there are still threads about him.

I said love affair. I should have said unhealthy obsession. Much like a teen's first heartbreak, many on the board are in a odd semi-denial/bargaining phase of loss when it comes to Fitz. They are aware that he's gone, but they forget how and why. They remember the front office giving him a huge contract, and how mean they were for asking him to restructure it. They forget he left to be another team's backup for less money. Basically they remember that, like the girl that got away, Fitz didn't want to leave, we must have pushed him away somehow. And that someday we'll win him back as long as we remember the good times. The good times being a 4-12 and some 6-10s.

I understand that your particular topic was comparing and contrasting relatively similar QBs. In that, I have no issue. To be honest, I saw Fitz in the title and just assumed this was another thread pining for him. He's been gone 3 seasons and there are still threads about him.

I said love affair. I should have said unhealthy obsession. Much like a teen's first heartbreak, many on the board are in a odd semi-denial/bargaining phase of loss when it comes to Fitz. They are aware that he's gone, but they forget how and why. They remember the front office giving him a huge contract, and how mean they were for asking him to restructure it. They forget he left to be another team's backup for less money. Basically they remember that, like the girl that got away, Fitz didn't want to leave, we must have pushed him away somehow. And that someday we'll win him back as long as we remember the good times. The good times being a 4-12 and some 6-10s.

Hi Bender, not just my topic - it appears to me most of the posts on this thread are about comparing the two, not having a "love affair"

As to the rest, it sounds very eloquent but.... we don't know the details of the offer the Bills made Fitz. I don't think it's at all clear that he went elsewhere to be the backup for less money, in particular for less guaranteed money. It's a matter of fact that the Bills did release him and that per Fitz, the sides were nowhere close on terms.

I suppose I really don't know what "love affair" means. If it mean thinking the Bills made a mistake to release Fitz and should have perhaps tried a bit harder to negotiate, I'm there - not because I'm in love with Fitz as a QB, but because for the same or less $$ than we paid TJax and Kolb much less Orton and Cassel, we could have had a durable NFL starter and mentor for EJ with better continuity and less drama. But done is done, I moved on.

Didn't he get benched last year?

Fitz? Yes, yes he was after two horrible games where his completion % was in the toilet. That lasted 2 games until Mallet got hurt. It seems to have been good for him. He came back on fire - 72% and 68% completion, 6 TDs in his first game back after the benching.

That's one reason I'm not so happy on Nix as a decent GM. I believe that competition is helpful. If Nix had drafted a meaningful QB such that Chan could have benched Fitz and given the other guy a try when he was flaming out after the big contract (and injured as it turns out), I think it would have helped everyone - the team, Fitz, and Chan.

Look at Fitz's numbers from last year. I think that you will be surprised at how well he played. You will be really surprised to see that they replaced that production with Mallet and Hoyer.

Mallet is the young guy with potential. Hoyer is terrible.

I'd take Fitzmagic.

Mallet is the young guy with potential. Hoyer is terrible.

I'd take Fitzmagic.

Totally agree, I always liked Fitz. When you look at the veteran QBs that could be had this year I like Fitz more than any of them that was attainable. He would have been a nice fit in this offense I think. He would have gotten to the line, looked around for the best opportunity for the elite skill players (no more Donald Jones') and got the ball to them.

Totally agree, I always liked Fitz. When you look at the veteran QBs that could be had this year I like Fitz more than any of them that was attainable. He would have been a nice fit in this offense I think. He would have gotten to the line, looked around for the best opportunity for the elite skill players (no more Donald Jones') and got the ball to them.

The difference between Fitz and Cassel I think is small. With this defense I think you want the safer QB which at first glance made me think Cassel. TD/INT ratio I think favors Fitz.

For this team to make the playoffs I think they need an Alex Smith type year from QB. Just don't get in the way. We've watched a lot of Fitz and some of Cassel. It goes to the thinking the unknown is more intriguing than the known.

Fitzy, just on the basis that Cassel got his big break with Spygate Pats* and even when knowing the defense was doing he still was sacked more than any other QB that year. He then lost his gig at KC to Brady Quinn and then was seen as a less viable option to Christian Ponder at Minnesota.