How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

Change your screen name to doomed already. We get it.

We are so doomed man. We forgot to get a qb.

its a little known fact that our QBs have, indeed, completed passes. Some of them - I know, I know, it's crazy - have been for TDs. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope so!

It's just tough to predict until we see Roman's offense installed. So all we have to go by is, who is our weakest link on paper?

Well it's not CJ Spiller, Stevie Johnson, Scott Chandler, Lee Smith, Erick Pears, Chris Hairston, or Kyle Orton.

So, it's gotta be somebody.

Are you suggesting that Chiefs team is as talented as ours? Because they're not. Not even close. Our receivers will win one on one battles and get open. McCoy can make people miss. They will make any one of our QBs look better than they are if the oline holds up their end.

Oh, I get it now! It wasn't Matt Cassel who was the failure, it was the other guys on the team. Let's just completely forget that Alex Smith was 11-5 the season after they dumped Matt Cassel because that was just a fluke.

I'm so relieved that it wasn't his fault, the Chiefs were stupid and we have him now.

Oh, I get it now! It wasn't Matt Cassel who was the failure, it was the other guys on the team. Let's just completely forget that Alex Smith was 11-5 the season after they dumped Matt Cassel because that was just a fluke.

I'm so relieved that it wasn't his fault, the Chiefs were stupid and we have him now.

So that's it then, huh? Just a QB change? New coaching staff had nothing to do with it?

So that's it then, huh? Just a QB change? New coaching staff had nothing to do with it?

The REASON there was a new coaching staff was BECAUSE Matt Cassel SUCKED for two whole years!

He sucked so bad that the entire Chiefs organization had to be overhauled. The fans were in revolt.

Are you being serious here?

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

Easy load up against the run and intimidate a mediocre QB

You think Crennel made a knee-jerk decision to bench Cassel? He played so bad for so long he gave him no choice.

I said "the benching of Cassel was more a desperation move by a failing head coach than it was a calculated evaluation of the two QB's skill set". Stop with the strawman arguments.

As you are trying to move the goal posts the following is what I was responding to:

Matt Cassel is not a good QB. He was benched for Brady Quinn and never got the job back.

Perhaps I should make my point a bit differently. Matt Cassel may or may not be a good QB. Getting benched by a really bad head coach on a really bad team is not a very strong argument. It is cherry picking.

Cassel was a disaster the last four games of 2011.

Cassel didn't play the last 4 games of 2011, Kyle Orton did. Cassel had been put on injured reserve in November.

By mid 2012, Cassel sucked so bad that a Chiefs fan club flew a banner calling for Cassel to be benched.

Wow! Fans calling for the starting QB to be benched in favor of the backup. I am sure that has never happened before. :doh:

Since his last 10 win season in 2010, Cassel has had a horrible 9-17 record as an NFL starter. His QB rating is in the low 70s.

You're cherry picking again. Since he left KC he has been 4-5 as a starter which doesn't sound nearly as bad as 9-17. In 2013 with Minnesota he came in relief of Ponder 3 times (who was floundering) and pulled out a win. I guess those don't count.

I suggest you go to pro football reference and just look at Cassel's numbers in his last two years with the Chiefs.

Apparently I went a bit deeper at pro football reference than you did but keep picking those KC cherries.

I said "the benching of Cassel was more a desperation move by a failing head coach than it was a calculated evaluation of the two QB's skill set". Stop with the strawman arguments.

As you are trying to move the goal posts the following is what I was responding to:

Perhaps I should make my point a bit differently. Matt Cassel may or may not be a good QB. Getting benched by a really bad head coach on a really bad team is not a very strong argument. It is cherry picking.

Cassel didn't play the last 4 games of 2011, Kyle Orton did. Cassel had been put on injured reserve in November.

Wow! Fans calling for the starting QB to be benched in favor of the backup. I am sure that has never happened before. :doh:

You're cherry picking again. Since he left KC he has been 4-5 as a starter which doesn't sound nearly as bad as 9-17. In 2013 with Minnesota he came in relief of Ponder 3 times (who was floundering) and pulled out a win. I guess those don't count.

Apparently I went a bit deeper at pro football reference than you did but keep picking those KC cherries.

Crennel was a desperate head coach because Cassel sucked so bad for two whole years.

Cassel was the main reason that team was so bad.

Cassel's last four games in that season were a disaster, sorry I wasn’t more specific for you.

When was the last time fans were so furious that they were flying banners to bench the starting QB?

Cassel’s starting record for his last four years is 9-17, look it up again.

Edited by 1billsfan

Crennel was a desperate head coach because Cassel sucked so bad for two whole years. Cassel was the main reason that team was so bad.

Please stop trying to pass off your opinion as fact. Crennel is 28 and 55 as a head coach. You can't bring yourself to admit that just maybe bad coaching had something to do with it.

Cassel's last four games in that season were a disaster, sorry I wasn’t more specific for you.

Still picking cherries. Why not the last 6 games of 2011? Maybe because it doesn't fit the disaster you want to portrait? For those 2 games he was 39 for 58, 517 yards, 5 TD, and no interceptions with a QB rating of 123.9.

When was the last time fans were so furious that they were flying banners to bench the starting QB?

Still don't understand why this is a dubious argument do you?

Cassel’s starting record for his last four years is 9-17, look it up again.

Nobody is contesting that. The point is you're cherry picking to support your beliefs. IOW, you start with a conclusion then go find the facts to support it while at the same time ignoring the facts that don't.

I have to repeat myself. Since he left KC he has been 4-5 as a starter which doesn't sound nearly as bad as 9-17. In 2013 with Minnesota he came in relief of Ponder 3 times (who was floundering) and pulled out a win. I guess those don't count.

It has never occurred to you that when he went from a really bad team to a bad team and his play improved that maybe just maybe there is more to it than numbers on a stat sheet. That maybe coaching does make a difference.

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

You asked a question and people answered you... It was the correct answer. No QB...

Please stop trying to pass off your opinion as fact. Crennel is 28 and 55 as a head coach. You can't bring yourself to admit that just maybe bad coaching had something to do with it.

Still picking cherries. Why not the last 6 games of 2011? Maybe because it doesn't fit the disaster you want to portrait? For those 2 games he was 39 for 58, 517 yards, 5 TD, and no interceptions with a QB rating of 123.9.

Still don't understand why this is a dubious argument do you?

Nobody is contesting that. The point is you're cherry picking to support your beliefs. IOW, you start with a conclusion then go find the facts to support it while at the same time ignoring the facts that don't.

I have to repeat myself. Since he left KC he has been 4-5 as a starter which doesn't sound nearly as bad as 9-17. In 2013 with Minnesota he came in relief of Ponder 3 times (who was floundering) and pulled out a win. I guess those don't count.

It has never occurred to you that when he went from a really bad team to a bad team and his play improved that maybe just maybe there is more to it than numbers on a stat sheet. That maybe coaching does make a difference.

Let's cut to the chase. Do you think that Cassel is a good starting QB? I don't. I consider him to be a good back up QB. That's a good role for him at this point in his career.

I think that right now EJ Manuel is a slightly better QB overall (not saying much I know), he's faster, more athletic, much more mobile and nearly as accurate as Cassel. The big difference is that Manuel is still developing and has a much higher ceiling (yes he has a lower floor too, but that's why they brought in Cassel). It stands to reason that Manuel will be better this year. If Cassel were a "lights out" accurate passer with a 65% completion rate then I'd totally rethink my position here. But that's not the case. IMO he's a nice insurance plan for the Bills if Manuel either gets hurt or gets benched because he proves that he's not good enough to the current coaching staff.

Let's cut to the chase. Do you think that Cassel is a good starting QB? I don't. I consider him to be a good back up QB. That's a good role for him at this point in his career.

I think that right now EJ Manuel is a slightly better QB overall (not saying much I know), he's faster, more athletic, much more mobile and nearly as accurate as Cassel. The big difference is that Manuel is still developing and has a much higher ceiling (yes he has a lower floor too, but that's why they brought in Cassel). It stands to reason that Manuel will be better this year. If Cassel were a "lights out" accurate passer with a 65% completion rate then I'd totally rethink my position here. But that's not the case. IMO he's a nice insurance plan for the Bills if Manuel either gets hurt or gets benched because he proves that he's not good enough to the current coaching staff.

If he could make the passes as a backup, why not as a starter? Same pass patterns , right? Same guy throwing the ball? He's probably both an average starter and average backup.

Like everyone else says, this offense is weakest at QB... Stack the box and force the QB to beat you. Blitz all day, stop the run, ignore the WRs until the QB can prove he can handle it.

Ahhh but here is the rub on that......

THis is not Hackett predictable running scheme that Roman employs......Roman is actually a GOOD coordinator. Dont you think that defenses tried to employ this defense against San Fran in all those playoff years? Colin Kaep is NOT a good passer.......the offensive weaposn for San Fran are not any better then what we have now........

He uses a lot of pre snap motion.....and one of the big reasons why Clay was the big aquisition of the offseason was that it does not tip off whether the play is run or pass......because he is both a excellent blocker AND reciever........defenses cannot just "stack the box" on every play because if they do and it is blocked correctly its a touchdown........

Like I have said a lot this offseason.....these are not high school qbs we are putting under center.......they might not be heading to the pro bowl (even though one of them has) but they can throw a simply pass to a wide open reciever

I go back and I look at Spiller's running up the middle.......even thought Spiller and SHady are the same SIZE backs......Shady actually has vision in the hole. Spiller had NO vision and solely relied on speed. If you could take Spiller and Jacksons best traits and put them into one player

It would be Shady Mccoy