Conspiracy theory - fixed game ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little question. I thought the same thing about Norwood in SB 25. He shanked it on purpose and secretly made millions. Plus Baltimore took a huge payoff in SB 3, when they were 19 point favorites and lost to the Jets.

In other news, pigs completed the first transcontinental flight Monday, landing in London with tired wings...

231636[/snapback]

I don't want to join the conspiracy theory part, cuz I think the Eagles never were that good, but ...

a transcontinental flight by pigs would land in NY or LA -- a transatlantic flight might land in London :P:blink:

"On the cable network's Real Sports program last night, (Bernard) Goldberg did a two segment piece on former New York mobster Michael Franzese and his activities in the 70s and 80s in and around professional sports. ... Franzese and the Colombo crime family had attempted to corner the market on representing college players at the 1985 NFL Draft.

Apparently, using an agent who normally represented singers, the mob coaxed a number of players -- including former Iowa Hawkeye and San Diego Charger Ronnie Harmon -- to sign with them before the end of the college season. The contracts would be post-dated, and then forwarded to the NFL once the college bowl games were completed on January 1st. As many as a dozen first round picks were locked up in this manner. And when other agents got in the way, Franzese sent one of his thugs to convince them to back off.

In exchange, these potential draft picks were given tens of thousands of dollars -- $50,000 in Harmon's case. It gets worse. At the 1985 Rose Bowl, Iowa was heavily favored going into the game against UCLA. Harmon, who had only fumbled once during the regular season, fumbled four times and dropped a sure touchdown pass as UCLA rolled to a victory.

While Franzese wouldn't say it on camera, he strongly suggested that Harmon had thrown the game for his friends in the mob."

conspiracy theorist

Hey Mac Daddy ~

Answer this question:

In your opinion are NFL games ever fixed ?

If yes, why not this one?

If no, how do you KNOW ?

231718[/snapback]

Ah grasshopper....come in and hear the wisdom I bestow.

Games fixed? No.

As previously stated..these guys make millions. No incentive to do so. Plus it's such a team game you would have to get to the quarterback. Here's a guy that is making millions in salary, bonus and endorsements. Why F that up?

And do I know? Of course not. Anything is possible but I don't think NFL games are fixed and certainly not the Super Bowl.

Bob Kraft is in hock up to his ears. It could be possible? :P:P NE stops winning and there could be big problems if they don't fill all the seats with fickle beaneaters! :lol::lol:

Reading the recent SI article, Kaft acknowledges being a high revenue club. Financing the "Razor" didn't not include any public funds. It was also noted that they arranged special financing that took advantage of historically low interest rates and made a deal with Salomon Smith Barney.

This might be old news but, I never knew that!

Gee, I am glad that RW runs the Bills they way he does. :blink: I wouldn't want all this pressure hanging on the team. Through in losing and empty seats would be deadly!

Ah grasshopper....come in and hear the wisdom I bestow.

Games fixed?  No. 

As previously stated..these guys make millions.  No incentive to do so.  Plus it's such a team game you would have to get to the quarterback.  Here's a guy that is making millions in salary, bonus and endorsements.  Why F that up? 

And do I know? Of course not.  Anything is possible but I don't think NFL games are fixed and certainly not the Super Bowl.

231734[/snapback]

What do you think of my reasoning above?

A team like NE, if they don't win, they seemed screwed if they can't fill the seats.

Philly is in the same boat to an extent (with Lincoln Field)... I just have a feeling the Philly fans wouldn't abandon going to the games as much as NE fans would if they started to lose?

???

What made me wonder about a fix was when they seemed to be running their offense slower with under 3 minutes left then they did during the game. The play clock was under 10 when they got to the line.

AND, I saw Andy Ried looking at the clock during this time. It just didnt make sense.

I dont know if he was just trying to cover or what. It was really strange.

While agree that it is highly unlikely that the game was fixed, I have to damit that my first thought when I talked to my dad after the game was, "Geesh that game was played like it was fixed."

What I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread is when the deep guy for Philly on the final New Engalnd punt took like two small steps backwards and literally just fell onto the ground untouched as if he had just tripped over some imaginary leg. The ball went over his head as we was getting back up and hit with no one there to cover for Philly, and rolls straight to waiting Patriot inside the five yard line. It looked like a deliberate flop to me!

Also, one counter argument to the theory that players make millions and thus have no incentive to throw games:

How about that you've got a gambling problem and you've run up so much debt that they are threatening to hurt your family?

How about that you have a fmaily member who has run up so much debt that they are threatening to hurt your family?

I think it is unlikely that this game was thrown, but it is not impossible!

Also, one counter argument to the theory that players make millions and thus have no incentive to throw games:

231790[/snapback]

Another thing is that players make millions, but they also spend millions. Its not like they live cheap.

Alot of people get upset when they hear players like Milloy say he has to feed his family, but the truth is, he might make 3-4 million a year (before taxes), but I bet he, his family, and friends spend most of that each year.

I can think of ways to spend 2 million right now, and it wouldnt be that hard.

Players dont save their money. Atleast most of them dont.

Another thing is that players make millions, but they also spend millions.  Its not like they live cheap.

Alot of people get upset when they hear players like Milloy say he has to feed his family, but the truth is, he might make 3-4 million a year (before taxes), but I bet he, his family, and friends spend most of that each year.

I can think of ways to spend 2 million right now, and it wouldnt be that hard.

Players dont save their money.  Atleast most of them dont.

231798[/snapback]

You also have to remember that when players say "I need to feed my family," they're not necessarily talkinga bout buying grocieres at the nearest Wegman's. If you want to set your kids up for life, that costs a lot of money. Let's say I make $3 million. That's about $1.5 million after taxes. I buy a nice house, there's another $500,000 (and that's not a *great* house, that's only an average house depending on the area). So now I have a million bucks left. Buy a coiuple of cars, some jewelry, buy a house and car for my parents, and pretty soon the money's gone.

Now someone like Milloy, who's been in the league for awhile, should be set for both him and his kids. But a younger guy like McGahee for example -- he's far from set for life.

Something to think about.

CW

In the old old book "1984" the average citizens police each other and control each other through ridicule.  That way those in control have a helping hand in the implementation of their policies.  The people themselves.  Geez, I'm glad that is just a silly book and it doesn't happen in real life.

231645[/snapback]

That book is getting eerily close to reality i think. :w00t:

Yeah, yesterday's game was fixed....

so was the Miracle Comeback, no way the Oilers could blow a 38-3 lead.  :w00t:

231726[/snapback]

There was a bad call in that game. Didn't a certain Bill step out of bounds that wasn't called?

Hmmmmmm?

:w00t:

There was a bad call in that game.  Didn't a certain Bill step out of bounds that wasn't called?

Hmmmmmm?

231867[/snapback]

There were also two blatantly bad calls against the Eagles yesterday. Both were overturned upon review, but one was less than a minute into the game (fumble by McNabb).

Hmm....

CW

How about that you've got a gambling problem and you've run up so much debt that they are threatening to hurt your family?

How about that you have a fmaily member who has run up so much debt that they are threatening to hurt your family?

I think it is unlikely that this game was thrown, but it is not impossible!

231790[/snapback]

And players are known for indiscretions with the opposite sex. This can also be used as a blackmailing ploy. Doesn't necessarily have to be money related, you are correct.