Conspiracy theory - fixed game ?

There were also two blatantly bad calls against the Eagles yesterday.  Both were overturned upon review, but one was less than a minute into the game (fumble by McNabb).

Hmm....

:w00t:

CW

231869[/snapback]

I still like my thought about Kraft being in hock up to his ears and fickle Patsie beaneater fans not filling the seats if they lose!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did McNabb who looked to have zip in most of his throws, suddenly throw back to back interceptions ? This one is killer - he throws one in the end zone to Harrison, has it called back due to a penalty on NE and promptly throws another one ??? WTF ?

I really think this game smacks of fixing.

If the game was fixed for the Pats, the ref never would've thrown that ticky-tack flag on Phifer in the first place, especially considering that L.J. Smith was the one who initiated contact.

Also, if it was fixed for the Pats, the refs wouldn't have ignored the obvious illegal pick on Mitchell during the long Ownes catch-and-run that got them into scoring range in the first place.

There were also two blatantly bad calls against the Eagles yesterday.  Both were overturned upon review, but one was less than a minute into the game (fumble by McNabb).

Hmm....

First off, i wouldn't call the McNabb fumble a blatantly bad call. The ref got it right in the end, yes, but I can't blame them for letting the play go on initially. McNabb's knee grazed the turf and wasn't down for long.

Second, what was the other blatantly bad call against Philly? Most of the calls went in their favor.

If you want to talk about blatant bad calls, look no further than the blatant illegal pick by Mitchell (no call), Ownes ripping Harrison's helmet off by the facemask during Samuel's INT (no call), ruling that Givens fumbled when his knee was CLEARLY down (eventually overturned), and the ridiculous ticky-tack illegal contact on Phifer. The ref who threw the flag was a good 30 yards away, and if anything, Smith pushed off.

Almost everyone agrees that the clock management by the Eagles was horrid yesterday both at the end of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game. The question in my mind is what suddenly happened to make the Eagles  seem so lackluster at critical points in the game. The players are pros, the coach has been around for a long time. Did the call come that 'you are not supposed to win this game, now back off' ?

How did McNabb who looked to have zip in most of his throws, suddenly throw back to back interceptions ? This one is killer - he throws one in the end zone to Harrison, has it called back due to a penalty on NE and promptly throws another one ??? WTF ?

I really think this game smacks of fixing.

231613[/snapback]

It is suspicious, but it would be hard to believe. There has to be facts supporting this. Your thinking is understandable, but it doesn't have any evidence backing it up.

If the game was fixed for the Pats, the ref never would've thrown that ticky-tack flag on Phifer in the first place, especially considering that L.J. Smith was the one who initiated contact.

Also, if it was fixed for the Pats, the refs would've called the obvious illegal pick on Mitchell during the long Ownes catch-and-run that got them into scoring raneg in the first place.

231899[/snapback]

On the Philly's first score, why didn't they call holding on NE? I think it really surprised them that the play lasted forever and they scored?

I don't think they are fixed. I think outcomes can be "pushed" one way or another.

If the Pats start losing, will the fans still pack the "Razor" much longer, I hope!"

IMHO, the Pats org. really needs to win or they are in trouble.

A few years back amidst some blatant bad calls and play I also launched a conspiracy theory that the results and play of the game was fixed.

The mother of my god-daughter responded with a take on the game I hadn't thought of that put to bed my thinking and carping that the games were fixed. She simply asked/

"If the games are fixed, why aren't they more interesting?"

Given some fairly ludicrous match-ups and semi-long fit of bad and boring play in many games including yesterday's SB, I have to agree with her she is right. An idiot could write a far more interesting script than what we see in most big games.

A few years back amidst some blatant bad calls and play I also launched a conspiracy theory that the results and play of the game was fixed.

The mother of my god-daughter responded with a take on the game I hadn't thought of that put to bed my thinking and carping that the games were fixed.  She simply asked/

"If the games are fixed, why aren't they more interesting?"

Given some fairly ludicrous match-ups and semi-long fit of bad and boring play in many games including yesterday's SB, I have to agree with her she is right.  An idiot could write a far more interesting script than what we see in most big games.

231924[/snapback]

I hear your POV.

Because they would be sniffed out as frauds. You make it so dumb, nobody in their right mind would suspect it!

How many murders go unsolved?

Don't ever get too greedy. Work alone!

You discover a bag of money that fell off a armored car, you gonna deposit it in your checking account? Buy a big fancy car? Hell NO! :w00t::w00t:

Here is another take:

Why was ref Terry McAuley the head of Sunday's officiating crew. He must of had a bad day Dec. 26th?

"McAuley, the head of Sunday's SuperBowl officiating crew, was the man who ruled Bears receiver Bernard Berrian did not come down with a potentially game-winning 43 yard TD pass in the final minute of a 19-13 loss to the Detroit Lions. Replays showed otherwise, the league never apologized to the Bears---And gave McAulay a Super reward."

At least the Bills got an apology after the Oakland debacle!

:(;) "Just give it to 'em!"

It is suspicious, but it would be hard to believe.  There has to be facts supporting this.  Your thinking is understandable, but it doesn't have any evidence backing it up.

231902[/snapback]

Ofcourse I don't have evidence. In fact, even if I had the means, I wouldn't bother trying to find it. Call me paranoid but can you imagine the repercussions if someone were to try and chase this theory down ? With the money at stake in betting, the overall economy, 'greatest show on earth' ?

Ofcourse I don't have evidence. In fact, even if I had the means, I wouldn't bother trying to find it. Call me paranoid but can you imagine the repercussions if someone were to try and chase this theory down ? With the money at stake in betting, the overall economy, 'greatest show on earth' ?

Uh...the mob? You want a pair of concrete shoes? :w00t:

With the amount of money that could be LOST due to someone discovering a fix, and the amount of people that would have to be involved, its very very unlikely that this is the case.  Maybe mcnabb is a completely different breed as kelly was.  Maybe the coaches just screwed up badly with play calling?  Maybe mcnabb didn't have the authority to throw out his headset and do some kelly improv.  Who knows...  I just know that mcnabb sucked, it reminded me of the bills in the super bowl, and after 15 years since the first one, i'm still waiting depressed.

231710[/snapback]

It takes 1 key position player to fix a game. For example, QB, HB, or any O-lineman. Remember Travis Henry's phantom slips, at critical points in the game??? IF the mob (who make most money off of illegal sports bookies) were to offer say someone like an underpaid lineman, or underpaid Henry, Westbrook whatever an extra couple million to blow the game, most people would bite. It's not as hard as you think. Lineman can give up critical sacks, RB can hesitate for an unnoticeable half a second to let their running lane close up, and QB's can easily look bad... Who knows

It takes 1 key position player to fix a game.  For example, QB, HB, or any O-lineman.  Remember Travis Henry's phantom slips, at critical points in the game???  IF the mob (who make most money off of illegal sports bookies) were to offer say someone like an underpaid lineman, or underpaid Henry, Westbrook whatever an extra couple million to blow the game, most people would bite.  It's not as hard as you think.  Lineman can give up critical sacks, RB can hesitate for an unnoticeable half a second to let their running lane close up, and QB's can easily look bad...  Who knows

232185[/snapback]

McNabb is prone to bad games like this. He has a history of not being able to hit the broadside of a barn every now and then. This is why he will never be considered a great quarterback. Inconsistency.

No conspiracy theory neccessary.

McNabb is prone to bad games like this. He has a history of not being able to hit the broadside of a barn every now and then. This is why he will never be considered a great quarterback. Inconsistency.

No conspiracy theory neccessary.

232243[/snapback]

I believe there was a funny BANG cartoon earlier this year poking fun at McNabb's accuracy problems. I can't find a link to it at this moment.

While enticing, the theory conspiracy fails on several counts I think.

1. The Eagles have a history of failure in big games, playing with a lack of urgency, etc. Look at the last several NFC championships. It seems like they expect superior talent to carry them through, and when they need a late drive they come up short.

2. As noted, McNabb's accuracy problems.

3. The MO of the Patriots, more than anything else, is to play mistake-free football and let the other team beat themselves. That happened again yesterday.

4. It wasn't just McNabb and Reid lolly-gagging, it was most of the offensive team. I have a hard time believing they were all paid off. A conspiracy needs to be kept small, and it's not like you can point to one individual play that was a turning point, so multiple players would have to be involved.