Thoughts outside the box: Move Hogan to CB

I'm confused as to why there is even a discussion on this subject. I've never heard of an NFL WR moving to CB at this stage of their career. Even if somehow Hogan is CB in hiding, is the hope that someone at OBD is reading and going to approach Hogan and say "hey, we just signed you to a new contract as a wide receiver. Even though our defense was elite last year, we were curious how you might line up as a CB and contribute on that defense."

Doesn't this sound like we're throwing out highly unlikely scenarios here?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused as to why there is even a discussion on this subject. I've never heard of an NFL WR moving to CB at this stage of their career. Even if somehow Hogan is CB in hiding, is the hope that someone at OBD is reading and going to approach Hogan and say "hey, we just signed you to a new contract as a wide receiver. Even though our defense was elite last year, we were curious how you might line up as a CB and contribute on that defense."

Doesn't this sound like we're throwing out highly unlikely scenarios here?

Our goal is to field the best team, correct? What if our coverage would benefit from a fast, shifty, strong, tall player with a nose for the ball? Certainly McLovin has been crucified on this board because he can't turn around and find the ball. Well I know one person who can (as evidenced by his catch in the Vikings game)...."The Dome" (Hogan)

Here are hogans pro day numbers compared to Woods. Bigger, stronger , faster, more agile.

Hogan pro day numbers

6’1” - 221
40 – 4.50
Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 28
Vertical – 36.5
Broad jump – 126” (10’06”)
3 cone – 6.75
20 yard shuttle – 4.15

Woods Combine numbers:
6’0” - 201
40 – 4.51
Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 14
Vertical – 33.5
Broad jump – 117” (9’9”)
3 cone – 7.15
20 yard shuttle – 4.47

Then I would just put Sammy there

yes sammy is good at going up for a ball and knocking it down, really good. not being sarcastic here, he rivals donald jones even.

seriously i could see hogan as emergency safety covering t ends and turning into a kurt schulz type

move wood (not woods) to wr, hes bigger and stronger, can outmuscle smaller cb's, have hogan be the coach, hes white. (lol)

seriously why have this thread? is he being cut to make room for harvin? can he go back to p squad?

yes sammy is good at going up for a ball and knocking it down, really good. not being sarcastic here, he rivals donald jones even.

seriously i could see hogan as emergency safety covering t ends and turning into a kurt schulz type

He's taller and faster than Kurt Schulz...why waste his talents at safety until he loses a step. The kid could be a premiere CB...either starting or, at least nickel.

I know Leodis has a tough time finding the ball in midair...but damn, I think he could score points given his field vision. Also, when you take the pressure off of him to cover a WR and make Leodis a wide out he will blossom.

Bring Back Fergie. A rookie because he really has only played 2 years in the NFL. This is a kid that has played on four teams PS and got dumped by three of them before Bills put him on their PS. 2014 was his coming out year and his ceiling is huge. To suggest he change positions is ridiculous. I would love it if Rex uses him more than Moron did. He could become a great in this league if he gets more playing time. Look at his back story. He shouldn't be any good yet he is.

OK, I get the part about him being "a rookie because he really has only played 2 years in the NFL." Score 1 on "thinking outside the box" for you.

But there's president for the Bills successfully moving an undrafted WR to the defensive backfield, even after he spent a few years on the practice squad working his way up as a WR.

https://evonsports.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/for-bills-wilson-path-to-success-has-been-well-traveled/

George Wilson was the MAN in the Bills secondary. He almost single-handedly beat the Patriots one game when the guys actually drafted to play in the secondary gave him a little help.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/136185/4/Bills-Defense-Intercepts-Win

Safety George Wilson would pick off a Brady pass in the endzone early the fourth quarter. The Wilson pick set up the game tying TD by Fred Jackson.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/George-Wilson/7b7c030f-af43-473c-bcb2-8885200ee734

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:

• In 2013, his first season with the Titans, Wilson led the club with 19 special teams tackles in addition to the contributions he made in the secondary.

Wilson was voted a team captain for five consecutive seasons (2008-12) with the Buffalo Bills.

• In 2011, Wilson started 13 games at safety and posted a career-high 104 tackles, four interceptions, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and a quarterback pressure.

• In 2009, Wilson saw action in all 16 games with 12 starts and posted 91 tackles, two sacks, four interceptions, two quarterback pressures, a forced fumble and six passes defensed.

• In 2007, made the full-time transition from wide receiver to safety and appeared in 12 games. He recorded 41 tackles, two defensive touchdowns, two interceptions, a fumble recovery and three passes defensed.

TITANS TIDBITS:

• Wilson was named Buffalo Bills Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2009 and 2011.

Wilson entered the NFL as a rookie free agent wide receiver in 2004 and switched to safety in 2007.

It's not Wilson's fault he didn't grow up on a corner lot. But he became a very good safety - - good enough to still be on the Titans roster TODAY. Hogan could be even better at CB. I don't know about you, but I'd like to actually beat the Patriots again some day. Scoff if you want, but Hogan to CB might get us there.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

OK, I get the part about him being "a rookie because he really has only played 2 years in the NFL." Score 1 on "thinking outside the box" for you.

But there's president for the Bills successfully moving an undrafted WR to the defensive backfield, even after he spent a few years on the practice squad working his way up as a WR.

https://evonsports.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/for-bills-wilson-path-to-success-has-been-well-traveled/

George Wilson was the MAN in the Bills secondary. He almost single-handedly beat the Patriots one game when the guys actually drafted to play in the secondary gave him a little help.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/136185/4/Bills-Defense-Intercepts-Win

http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/George-Wilson/7b7c030f-af43-473c-bcb2-8885200ee734

It's not Wilson's fault he didn't grow up on a corner lot. But he became a very good safety - - good enough to still be on the Titans roster TODAY. Hogan could be even better at CB. I don't know about you, but I'd like to actually beat the Patriots again some day. Scoff if you want, but Hogan to CB might get us there.

This. So much this. Great analysis. Have you considered Leodis to WR?? If so, we haven't lost a thing...zero sum game on the switch.

hey why not, as long as we're entertaining the idea of playing guys out of position.

Tebow has already established himself as a mediocre QB. Hogan as CB and Leodis as WR is a natural switch based on their inherent traits. (Hogan as a fast, go get the ball player and Leodis as a punt returning, experienced ball returner). Not as much of a stretch as Tebow to punter.

Funny, almost exactly 1 year ago, I had the same idea for a thread, but not presented in a rediculous way...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166542-which-bills-could-switch-sides-of-the-ball/

I still definitely stand by Lawson to TE, as he could be a Mercedes Lewis type (if he had made the change younger... Too old, now).

However, I changed my mind on the Cordy to NT, though. Maybe slimmed down to 315, he could play a 5-tech 3-4 DE, but after a somewhat unimpressive last year, I don't think he has the sheer brute strength to anchor down as NT.

This may be a little cheap, as it doesn't necessarily involve SKILL, just sheer size combined with athleticism for that size, but I think it would be kinda cool to see Dareus in a very short yardage (2 yard line or less, or 3 or 4th down and less than 1 yard) RB, a la fridge Perry. You put a fullback ahead of him, to wall off anyone who might break free on cut it down in the backfield, and you tell me 1 guy on our team you would want to stand between him and the goal line and try to tackle, with a head of steam.

Obviously with a greater usage role, the risk of injury increases, and he's more valuable to the D, so I'm not really too serious, but it would just be kinda cool to see... 5 times per year.

Ohhhh, here we go...just because a guy played lacrosse and grew up in mid suburbia, he can't play CB?? Have you watched Hogan play? The kid has hips that shift quicker than Mario Andretti on crack.

That's not thinking outside the box....that's plain old turrible.

I agree, it's the growing up in mid suburbia thats holding him back

He's taller and faster than Kurt Schulz...why waste his talents at safety until he loses a step. The kid could be a premiere CB...either starting or, at least nickel.

I know Leodis has a tough time finding the ball in midair...but damn, I think he could score points given his field vision. Also, when you take the pressure off of him to cover a WR and make Leodis a wide out he will blossom.

A faster Schultz is a good comparison. Or maybe a younger Dick LeBeau.

To the people on here panning this as being redeculous with an e (pretty much the worst insult), I bet they didn't know that Hogan worked out at the combine at CB and drew ALOT of interest.

A faster Schultz is a good comparison. Or maybe a younger Dick LeBeau.

To the people on here panning this as being redeculous with an e (pretty much the worst insult), I bet they didn't know that Hogan worked out at the combine at CB and drew ALOT of interest.

...and that was before it was the "in" thing to have a tall CB. Imagine if we were the trend setter?? $20 says Hogan plays some corner or secondary at some time in his NFL career.

...and that was before it was the "in" thing to have a tall CB. Imagine if we were the trend setter?? $20 says Hogan plays some corner or secondary at some time in his NFL career.

I agree. Hogan is young too, by NFL standards. I believe he graduated from college at age 19 or 20. (He is very bright; molecular bio major in 3 years). So, he can still make the switch and probably cash in on his next contract as a CB.