Bills 2015 Opponents Total Offense & vs. The Run

There aren't many that doubt Rex Ryan when he says the Bills will have a better defense in 2015 than the one ranked 4th last season in Buffalo.

With the addition of McCoy and Rex's commitment to ground and pound, looks like the Bills will have formidable running game as well (once a few key pieces are added to the offensive line, and with the way Rex and Doug have been making moves, I'm confident they will).

Looking at the 2015 Schedule, here is what the defense will go against

2014 Offensive Ranking

Indy 3rd

Philadelphia 5th

Dallas 7th

NY Giants 10th

New England 11th

Washington 13th

Miami 14th

Cincinnati 15th

Houston 17th

NY Jets 22nd

Kansas City 25th

Tennessee 29th

Jacksonville 31st

Only four of Buffalo's 16 opponents ranked in the Top 10 on offense (3 of those 4 games will be played at home). Whereas five of the 16 ranked in the bottom 3rd (Jets twice). Ryan & Company expect to be a Top 2 in defense. Advantage, Buffalo.

As for McCoy and Buffalo's ground game, a snapshot of what they will be facing...

2014 Defensive Ranking vs. Rush (Yards allowed/Game)

NY Jets 5th

Dallas 8th

New England 9th

Houston 10th

Washington 12th

Philadelphia 15th

Indy 18th

Cincinnati 20th

Miami 24th

Jacksonville 27th

Kansas City 28th

NY Giants 30th

Tennesee 31st

Only 6 of Buffalo's 16 games will be against Top 10 run defenses in 2014. 4 of those 6 (Jets twice) will be at home the 5th is against the Jets whose Defensive mastermind is now on our sidelines. Whereas 8 of the 16 games played will be vs. teams ranked on the bottom half of the league in rushing (Miami twice). With the addition of McCoy and a commitment to the running game, it's easy to believe the Bills will be ATLEAST Top 10 in rushing, if not Top 5. Advantage, Buffalo.

Based on how they plan on building this team, I think their blueprint fits their schedule extremely well. Call it coincidence or whatever, but I don't really see the Bills being overmatched in any game. To the contrary, I think they will have many advantages week after week, regardless of who they play.

With the addition of McCoy (and I'm sure what will come in FA or draft on the offensive line) and an expectation of a defense that will continue and improve from their 4th rank in 2014, I think the Bills are set up for a very successful season with their current philosophy.

I have to think Ryan and Whaley know this, which is why playoffs (and a playoff win) is a lot more realistic in their minds than what some people are giving them credit for.

Obviously QB is the big elephant in the room. If they can find someone (on their current roster or not) that will take care of the ball and let the running game and defense win games, they will be set up for success. They don't need a stud QB to go deep into the playoffs.

In 2009, the Jets ranked 17th on offense, 1st in rushing yet 31st in passing (including 29th in INT's). Result....AFC Championship game.

In 2010 the Jets ranked 13th on offense, 4th in rushing yet 22nd in passing. (12th in INT's) Result....AFC Championshp game.

Both seasons with Mark Sanchez behind center in his rookie and 2nd season, with a worse completion percentage and TD/Int ratio than EJ has his first two years in the league. Let that sink in for a minute.

Buffalo is following that exact blueprint of Ryan's first two years in the league, and I feel Ryan and Whaley are expecting similar results.

Based on their 2015 schedule, I can't say I blame them.

Edited by dezertbill

Seems like the opponents get easier as the season progresses. We might start off slow but finish very strong and make the playoffs.

well we dont yet know the schedule. we know which teams we play but to say it gets 'easier" as it progresses isnt an accurate assesment.

Nice work by the OP. The teams we play of course are making changes and may be better or worse than their previous ranking but we get the point. We're about to see what a sophisticated power run offense looks like and the AFCE better review their defensive plans.

Seems like the opponents get easier as the season progresses. We might start off slow but finish very strong and make the playoffs.

I think he listed them in numerical order. And NOT in the schedule order.

Still, its FINE work, sir. And adds a lot to the discussion on this here board.

. . . . I don't really see the Bills being overmatched in any game. . . . .

I see the Bills, as currently constructed, being overmatched against New England (x2) and Dallas (even w/out DeMarco).

But I'll take 13-3. :thumbsup:

Edited by maddenboy

There aren't many that doubt Rex Ryan when he says the Bills will have a better defense in 2015 than the one ranked 4th last season in Buffalo.

With the addition of McCoy and Rex's commitment to ground and pound, looks like the Bills will have formidable running game as well (once a few key pieces are added to the offensive line, and with the way Rex and Doug have been making moves, I'm confident they will).

Looking at the 2015 Schedule, here is what the defense will go against

2014 Offensive Ranking

Indy 3rd

Philadelphia 5th

Dallas 7th

NY Giants 10th

New England 11th

Washington 13th

Miami 14th

Cincinnati 15th

Houston 17th

NY Jets 22nd

Kansas City 25th

Tennessee 29th

Jacksonville 31st

Only four of Buffalo's 16 opponents ranked in the Top 10 on offense (3 of those 4 games will be played at home). Whereas five of the 16 ranked in the bottom 3rd (Jets twice). Ryan & Company expect to be a Top 2 in defense. Advantage, Buffalo.

As for McCoy and Buffalo's ground game, a snapshot of what they will be facing...

2014 Defensive Ranking vs. Rush (Yards allowed/Game)

NY Jets 5th

Dallas 8th

New England 9th

Houston 10th

Washington 12th

Philadelphia 15th

Indy 18th

Cincinnati 20th

Miami 24th

Jacksonville 27th

Kansas City 28th

NY Giants 30th

Tennesee 31st

Only 6 of Buffalo's 16 games will be against Top 10 run defenses in 2014. 4 of those 6 (Jets twice) will be at home the 5th is against the Jets whose Defensive mastermind is now on our sidelines. Whereas 8 of the 16 games played will be vs. teams ranked on the bottom half of the league in rushing (Miami twice). With the addition of McCoy and a commitment to the running game, it's easy to believe the Bills will be ATLEAST Top 10 in rushing, if not Top 5. Advantage, Buffalo.

Based on how they plan on building this team, I think their blueprint fits their schedule extremely well. Call it coincidence or whatever, but I don't really see the Bills being overmatched in any game. To the contrary, I think they will have many advantages week after week, regardless of who they play.

With the addition of McCoy (and I'm sure what will come in FA or draft on the offensive line) and an expectation of a defense that will continue and improve from their 4th rank in 2014, I think the Bills are set up for a very successful season with their current philosophy.

I have to think Ryan and Whaley know this, which is why playoffs (and a playoff win) is a lot more realistic in their minds than what some people are giving them credit for.

Obviously QB is the big elephant in the room. If they can find someone (on their current roster or not) that will take care of the ball and let the running game and defense win games, they will be set up for success. They don't need a stud QB to go deep into the playoffs.

In 2009, the Jets ranked 17th on offense, 1st in rushing yet 31st in passing (including 29th in INT's). Result....AFC Championship game.

In 2010 the Jets ranked 13th on offense, 4th in rushing yet 22nd in passing. (12th in INT's) Result....AFC Championshp game.

Both seasons with Mark Sanchez behind center in his rookie and 2nd season, with a worse completion percentage and TD/Int ratio than EJ has his first two years in the league. Let that sink in for a minute.

Buffalo is following that exact blueprint of Ryan's first two years in the league, and I feel Ryan and Whaley are expecting similar results.

Based on their 2015 schedule, I can't say I blame them.

Quality post dezerbill. Good work, you did your homework, good analysis, lets hope it plays out this way

Uhhh. I have all of this and then some in the 2015 season analysis thread. :D

jboyst62...great post and analysis on your thread. You'd have to admit you focused a bit more on records and points her game.

My post was focused more on opponents defense vs. rush and Offensive firepower of opponents in lieu of McCoy's addition on offense and Ryan's arrival and contribution to the defensive side of the ball as well as QB contribution to Ryan's two most successful seasons. Would have been tough for you to do on December 28th when we still had Marrone and no McCoy.

Go Bills!