Putting aside the players....cap space an issue now

DC Grid

And is it an issue? No. They did/will find away around it. I don't have a link but they are something like $40M-$50M under the cap after their maneuvering. McCoy was reportedly moved just as much because of Chip Kelly's ego as anything else. It saved them on the cap but it wasn't a necessity that they trade him.

Yes. It is an issue for some teams. Teams "find a way around" cap issues in many ways, including not re-signing their free agents, cutting players and trading players. Do you think Detroit wants to part ways with Suh? That's ridiculous.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't follow your math. How did we only trade for one season or less of McCoy when he's likely to sign a four year deal when the dust settles?

i think his point was that short of mccoy getting hit by a bus, trading for kiko kind of guarantees his next two years by default. the bills wouldnt cut him for anything. Edited by NoSaint

Yes. It is an issue for some teams. Teams "find a way around" cap issues in many ways, including not re-signing their free agents, cutting players and trading players. Do you think Detroit wants to part ways with Suh? That's ridiculous.

And they're paying a top QB salary, unlike the Bills or Eagles. Teams have to make choices every year, plain and simple. This is nothing new. But to say that the Bills are in cap trouble or that Philly "had to" trade McCoy? That's ridiculous.

And they're paying a top QB salary, unlike the Bills or Eagles. Teams have to make choices every year, plain and simple. This is nothing new. But to say that the Bills are in cap trouble or that Philly "had to" trade McCoy? That's ridiculous.

they also have calvin johnson at 21m cap hit (high teens for real pay). which is as much or more than most QB deals.

I never said the Bills were in cap trouble, in fact I said the opposite. I never said Philly had to trade McCoy. It sure looks like they're clearing cap room for someone or several someones, though. That would be a consequence of the cap.

I was only responding to your assert action that the cap has never been an issue for any team. That is the only thing here that is ridiculous.

Plenty of fat on the roster that can be cut as well (Urbik and Williams combined saves the team 5-6 million as another poster mentioned) Mario restructuring also could add about 5 million to the cap. So assuming they rework Mario's deal and cut one of those more costly guards could save Hugh's cap hit alone. Then the team could go after a big acquisition or spread the remaining cap room around.

I also think they could rework McCoy's deal to save 2-3 million on the cap as well which could help. The cap isn't a major issue for this team although the impending resigning of Dareus could lead to a tough decision or two next year.

Edited by billsfan89

I never said the Bills were in cap trouble, in fact I said the opposite. I never said Philly had to trade McCoy. It sure looks like they're clearing cap room for someone or several someones, though. That would be a consequence of the cap.

I was only responding to your assert action that the cap has never been an issue for any team. That is the only thing here that is ridiculous.

If you don't think they're in trouble, fine. Sorry if I said otherwise. But you just said that Philly "sure looks like they're clearing cap room for someone or several". Maybe. Probably. But, again, that's making a conscious decision of who they want & that's not cap trouble. There's a difference. That was my point. They weren't forced to do that or otherwise suffer the consequences. What you're stating is the equivalent of unlimited cap space. Every team would like to keep all of their players but they can't, so they make choices, as the Eagles did with McCoy and the other players that they let go. If they keep X, they may not be able to get Y. They didn't trade him because of cap trouble, they moved him for reasons known to them. Maybe to get more cap room (not because they didn't have any), maybe because Kelly didn't want him, maybe both. Other than the Dallas & Washington situation, which was a questionable decision by the league, how many teams truly have issues? Are teams tight? Have to cut guys? Sure. But the light in which you're painting it is ridiculous. Maybe you didn't like the way I worded it but teams don't really have "issues" with the cap in the truest sense. Some make better choices than others but all can keep the players that they truly value the most, they just can't keep everybody and they can't have everything they want. That's the nature of the beast.

My point is, saying there is pressure is on him to redo his deal is flawed, because he knows he's here for at least 2 seasons.

Oh. I got ya'. But does he know that? He's only owed $1 million in guaranteed money. The Bills could (they won't) cut him next year without it costing them anything. It seems to me the Bills are the one with the power in the negotiations simply because no player, especially at that position, wants to roll the dice like that for 3 seasons. The Bills can smooth the transition by giving him a fat signing bonus and redo his deal in a way that helps with the Bills' long term cap goals, I don't think it'll be a lengthy or even terse negotiation between the two parties.

(which means I just jinxed it probably)

I just don't get the "cap space isn't and issue" crowd. Of course it's an issue. We need a OG, ROT and possibly a CB & LDE/LB. Then we have a significant core to sign next year. Is it undoable? No. But to shrug it off as not an issue is specious.

hmmmmm

specious means: misleading, deceptive, false, or unsound. i looked it up. it's a word nobody uses. maybe 2 percent of the people even know what it means.

i didn't

green lightning, i've always wondered what the 'vocab freaks' were thinking when they use words like that. Do you know that most people don't know the word, but you're trying to teach them? Do you mistakenly think that the majority of people know what your abstract word means? (they don't) Are you having fun with a superior intellect and just a word guy? Are you an idiot who learns just a handful of esoteric words and then tried to appear smarter than everyone else by using them in everyday conversation?

Help me understand lantern. and don't be specious.

They have about $17.7m to work with, and that's after estimated rookie signings.

Our "only" areas of need are another OG, and a MLB. I think we're in good shape, to fill both holes with mid level talent, and to re-sign Hughes.... that's without making any cap cuts yet.

OG, RT, TE, LB and S. If Hughes goes you can add DE to that list (though obviously it doesn't have to be a top tier guy.) Granted, some of that can be filled via the draft but I'd prefer a vet OG and TE.