Same Old Bills

Here we go again. We have a very good, young talent that we are just letting go. Jerry will walk away and we now have another hole to fill. Good teams find ways to keep their good players and not let them just leave. We will be back on that never ending cycle of having to replace top talent. It's not like we don't have the cap space to have kept him.

Is Jerry Hughes a 14 million dollar player? I am a big fan but no he is not so I agree with the decision not to franchise him especially since that would take up almost half their cap space. The Bills have shown they are willing to pay and keep their players but it takes two sides to make a deal.

I still think there is a chance to get a deal done but at this point Hughes would be stupid not to at least test the market

Edited by Max997

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old BILLS, yet they hired Rex Ryan and got an Offensive Coordinator that was interviewed for that same position, has gone to the NFC title game three years in a row and has a superb resume...while making hay in the hardest Conference in the NFL over that same time period. Furthermore, Rex himself said he was happy Terry had "deep pockets" because it took an owner willing to pay for top tier Coaches that could very well have gone elsewhere, i.e.Roman and even Kromer who isn't an OC but is getting back to what he did very well, Coaching the Offensive Line....please stop, with the argument that may have worked two years ago, but is definitely a false statement in so many ways. Hughes back would be "nice" but I'd rather have a good CB / Safety and due to Kyle Williams getting older, Mario Williams for that matter as well, they need to add a solid DL to that role and as others have stated, Hughes isn't as much a necessity in Rex's system.

What are we saving this year's cap money for, our franchise QB? - hilarious! Pay the man, preferably before he hits UFA (I know, too late). We knew he was a really good player two systems ago.

He can get to the QB in any system... these players are hard to find. Ask the 20+ teams with crappy pass rushes.

Kyle and Mario are getting old. What happens in 1-2 years when they're production drops off and we have no pass rush pipeline?

BTW, I don't want to hear about how "we need to save money to extend extend Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Kiko, Bradham, etc"; unless you can share the details of the Bills cap situation. We should be able to keep all of these guys.

The Pats are going to let McCourty walk for the same reason we are going to let Hughes go. He isn't worth the $ he will get on the open market..I hope we get Greg Hardy for less or equal $. we can find a guy to get 10 sacks for 10m a year. But maybe they think they can get 15-18 sacks for the same $. And if the Bills Offer is a fair one, I could see,him comeing back. Does anyone think Hughes is worth 10-13m?

Edited by Franchiseneedsme

One the one hand, it was great to see Hughes blossom hear and produce back-to-back 10 sack seasons.

On the other hand, he's lining up next to three Pro Bowlers. In that scenario, he ought to be successful.

Since this lineup is working, I really want Whaley to resign him. Not tagging Hughes doesn't surprise me but I hope DW gives him a contract that makes him happy.

But there's a limit to everything. We just can't pay every player what they think they're worth.

One in 32 teams - some team desperate for sacks - might think Hughes is worth something crazy and that's all it takes for him to leave Buffalo. You can't blame Whaley for not overpaying every FA who leaves us.

I feel like I missed some big news today... did Hughes indicate he's not re-signing?

No.

All the relevant concerned parties feel like the 2 sides are very close to a new deal.

Edited by 34-78-83

after changing owner, GM, coach, coordinators, roster and a ton of front office folks, only thing "same old" about these Bills is the fans. If you want to blame someone for being "the same old bills", blame your own poor attitude and the negative vibes it sheds.

Of course this does not apply to all fans, just the negative nancys out there that have forgotten how to do anything but complain.

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

after changing owner, GM, coach, coordinators, roster and a ton of front office folks, only thing "same old" about these Bills is the fans. If you want to blame someone for being "the same old bills", blame your own poor attitude and the negative vibes it sheds.

Of course this does not apply to all fans, just the negative nancys out there that have forgotten how to do anything but complain.

:thumbsup::beer: :beer:

Amen. What a terrible knee-jerk thread.

Over in Boston where they simply continue to win as a player you either buy into team friendly reasonable deals or you are gone! No one player is the team, even Brady re-worked his deal to help the team and that's why they keep winning. Nice to see our front office starting to take the same kind of stand. Go Bills!!!

What are we saving this year's cap money for, our franchise QB? - hilarious! Pay the man, preferably before he hits UFA (I know, too late). We knew he was a really good player two systems ago.

He can get to the QB in any system... these players are hard to find. Ask the 20+ teams with crappy pass rushes.

Kyle and Mario are getting old. What happens in 1-2 years when they're production drops off and we have no pass rush pipeline?

BTW, I don't want to hear about how "we need to save money to extend extend Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Kiko, Bradham, etc"; unless you can share the details of the Bills cap situation. We should be able to keep all of these guys.

He didn't do so well with the colts. He is good but he is benefited by our system and especially the 3 pro bowlers he lines up with. He may not do so well on another team and imo not worth the franchise tag or 12-13Mhe may get in FA.

We get your point. Super annoying to read.....

I don't think he intended you to read it.

ftw

Free agency hasnt even started yet and you are already complaining about what they havent spent

you act like they dont have the opportunity to add another pass rusher for the present and future when Mario and Kyle start to regress

The Bills have $30 mil in cap space right now but just bc they have that doesnt mean they should spend it all...do you want them to end up like the Saints who have to constantly restructure and cut players every year? good teams manage the cap well and the Bills have managed theirs well in recent years.

I want Hughes back but it takes two sides to make a deal which a lot of fans seem to ignore and just blame the team thinking they should just give the players whatever they want...anyone still upset Bills didnt resign Byrd? Im certainly not

Edited by Max997

While I agree that we shouldnt pay for Revis, I dont think Suh is reasonable either. He's going to command twice as much as Hughes will.

Signing Suh basically means we have to let Dareus walk. Cant have Mario's ~$100mil contract, Suh's ~$100mil contract, and Dareus's ~$100mil contract all on the same line.

I thought Terrypeligula had a lot of money.

Why not?

Couldnt he just hire Rodgers as his male servant for 100 million a year with 10million going towards his nfl salary. I would do that if I was Terrypeligula.