Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao May 2nd!!

truth on hold

Watched that awful excuse for a fight last night. Great boxing technique by Mayweather, awful fight. It would have been a wasted viewing experience if it wasn't for the awesome Alvarez fight.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Counter punching boxers have never been entertaining. Only way to beat this guy is a tall boxer with a good stiff jab.

Wrong.

Juan Manuel Marquez, to name just one, is as classic a counter-puncher as you will see.

And he has provided me with as much boxing excitement as any prize fighter I can think of, ever.

Manny needed to be much more aggressive, fighting his type of attacking fight...and he needed to work from angles.

He never did that.

The result was predictable. Sounds like his shoulder injury is legitimate. So that explains it a bit.

As I wrote up-thread before the fight, Mayweather is the naturally bigger man, the better boxer at this point in his career, and he was expected to win an easy decision.

He did.

For those complaining that the Manny/Floyd boxing match was not enough of a fight, keep your eyes on Canelo Alvarez.

He has some big fights coming up in his career and this guy only knows one way to fight: all out.

Like all top Mexican prize fighters, he has the heart of a lion and anyway, keep your eye on him.

He's going to be a real crowd pleaser.

Edited by Stopthepain

Mayweather is two years older than Manny.

Does that change the fact that he dodged until Manny wasn't a threat?

He still waited til Manny was past his prime. Add to that, Manny had his button pressed against Marquez and fighters are never the same afterwards. That fight alone took him out of his prime.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I finally got to see it over the weekend.....

To me it was obvious that Manny was hurt.....he wasnt even throwing punches with the arm with the rotator cuff injury....and if he did they had nothing on them.

Ill be honest....I dont know if a healthy Pacman makes any difference because Mayweather is just gonna run the whole fight.......compubox will call what Mayweather is throwing is "punches" and Mayweather will hold 20 times.....have of them being headlocks....and they wont be called.

Does that change the fact that he dodged until Manny wasn't a threat?

He still waited til Manny was past his prime. Add to that, Manny had his button pressed against Marquez and fighters are never the same afterwards. That fight alone took him out of his prime.

Sad we'll never know the true outcome if it were five years ago and both were healthy going into the fight.

Sad we'll never know the true outcome if it were five years ago and both were healthy going into the fight.

True. Though I think Mayweather would have still outpointed him while getting on his bicycle, it would have been a better fight.

The Thrilla in Manilla was better

The buildup for the March 1971 was better. Two undefeated guys. Ali and Frazier were at the end of their careers in Manila.

Rumble young man man rumble!

Ray Leonard would have pounded Mayweather

Edited by Helpmenow

The buildup was definitely better in '71. I had thought you were complaining about buildups. That would be the buildup of the (last) century. And, Manila may have been the fight of the (last) century.

Not a big current MMA fan. But at the beginning, I loved it. I watched the first 9 UFC, back when there were literally no rules other than you couldn't bite. That was the Royce "I can't believe this guy weighs 13 pounds and is destroying dudes with nothing but kicks to the kidneys and the occasional dislocated elbow" Gracie, Tank Abbott, Dan "The Beast" Severn, etc fought. It was literally blood sport. I watched Tank Abbott knock a guy out so hard he went into a seizure and then Tank turned and laughed at the guy as he was seizing up. Don't search youtube for it unless you love watching real violence.

That said, boxing is dead. Even with the new rules of MMA (and I no longer watch it) it is a far superior spectator sport. I wish I was old enough to remember some of the fights you all are talking about; Ali Frazier, etc. The last pro boxing match I watched was when Tyson got hungry for an ear.