The Case For Mark Sanchez

bisonbrigade

Check out these numbers: 56.3%, 82 tds, 80 ints, 50 fumbles, 74.1 career QB rating.

Sanchez looked as good as he could possibly look under Chip Kelly. It will not get any better. Turnovers murder teams.

That said, I'd be willing to bring for the competition but I worried Rex would slant it to favor Sanchez. That would be a mistake IMO. I don't think there is much upside to Sanchez. He is what he is.

Before we hired Rex, I actually thought perhaps Sanchez was the best free agent option out there. It isn't unheard of for a QB to struggle, change coaches and systems, and find himself (Alex Smith, etc etc). He looked like an NFL QB at times last year.

After we hired Rex, I have exactly the same concern as you that it wouldn't be a true competition because Rex has a thing for Sanchez. He tattooed the guy's Jets jersey on a pinup of his wife fergoshsakes, what is over the top if that isn't? Then there's the famous "He’s going to be our quarterback for as long as I am here, which I hope is a long, long time. We know we got the right guy." quote of November 2011. I'm all for positive motivation - I don't believe anyone anywhere is motivated by being told they're crap and their head is on the block.

But there is a lot of positive motivational space in between "crap" and "head on the block" vs a pinup tattoo of the guy's jersey on your wife and absolute public statements in the press.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats from 4 years ago are irrelevent

OK, I will put it out there: stats from a similar system may be relevant. in 2009 and 2010 the Jets asked Sanchez to be the game-manager of a power-running inyourface offense where he had to throw just enough to keep the defense honest.

That said, what I've heard about Sanchez is that he just can't read the field at NFL speed. Did he get the memo and work harder or otherwise change under Kelly? Don't know.

Don't look at college tape of a guy who has been in the league for a while now...

So you want EJ to start?

I want the better player determined by competition to start. Why is that so hard to understand?

Look, no QB available is perfect. I'm aware Sanchez has some flaws, but considering will be available at an affordable rate and we won't have to give up draft picks, I'll take his:

- back to back AFC championship playoff appearances

- stellar post season stats

- winning record as a professional

- only one losing season in 5 as a starter

And the one losing season was the tebow substitution fiasco that I can't imagine how any QB would have thrived. Take away that season and his rating has improved every year: 63, 75.3, 78.2, 88.4

Edited by JTSP

Honestly who can get that is a better option than Sanchez? Does seem like a trade is an option. You want to sign McCown? No we will draft a project QB? Oh wait, everyone is finally ready to give EJ his shot? No, guess we don't have many options.

No words. :bag:

1865f6xuc7wtugif.gif

One question always pops into my mind whenever I see that play. How in the heck is that Sanchez's fault and why did so many poster's want the Bills to sign the guard who was picked up and thrown into Sanchez?

You people do have eyes right? Yeah, Sanchez should have held on to the ball, but common man, everything else is on Brandon Moore.

"Sanchez tosses 5 interceptions as lowly Bills sink Jets in overtime" I love it.

I was at that game! :w00t:

One question always pops into my mind whenever I see that play. How in the heck is that Sanchez's fault and why did so many poster's want the Bills to sign the guard who was picked up and thrown into Sanchez?

You people do have eyes right? Yeah, Sanchez should have held on to the ball, but common man, everything else is on Brandon Moore.

your write. It probably has something to do how Moore negated Mario's pass rush in (IIRC) the first game of the year. That was before we knew Mario had sprained/torn his flipper which (IIRC) required an orthopedic surgery to repair it.

I want the better player determined by competition to start. Why is that so hard to understand?

Look, no QB available is perfect. I'm aware Sanchez has some flaws, but considering will be available at an affordable rate and we won't have to give up draft picks, I'll take his:

- back to back AFC championship playoff appearances

- stellar post season stats

- winning record as a professional

- only one losing season in 5 as a starter

And the one losing season was the tebow substitution fiasco that I can't imagine how any QB would have thrived. Take away that season and his rating has improved every year: 63, 75.3, 78.2, 88.4

And this is where W-L is such an awful stat for Qbs. The Jets won in spite of Sanchez.

Seriously? Are we watching the same video? Brandon Moore didn't get "thrown" anywhere. He literally was stood up in place and, maybe, took 1/2 of a step back. That was on Sanchez...

Edited by billsfan1959

Butt fumble.

Its one play. ONE PLAY ! Yea...ONE PLAY. C'mon guys. Watch the play for cryin out loud. Use your head for something besides a hat rack. Vince Wilfork is the reason for that play, (which is one freakin play scientists)

The one that throws the O lineman back into Sanchez's path. Idiot land here at TBD. Sanchez is probably the most economical back-up we can hope for. Athletic, smart, good arm. Everything you want in a QB. We're screwed this year unless EJ wakes up. Which he wont...he isnt smart enough. If EJ does what we all figure he will.....we've got a guy to get us to round one...but no further in the playoffs. Frankly I'd call that a huge Victory. Hell yea bring in Mark Sanchez.

Edited by jaybee

as much as i dont want Sanchez here. it might come to be.
So i will have to make the best of it.

Just hope it does not cost me a TV when i get pissed at him. Which I will because he will give me good reason to.

Brutal QB situation for the Bills

ps i am not giving up on EJ yet. Everyone gets a cleaned slate now that Marrone and Hackett are gone.

Brutal QB situation for the Bills

ps i am not giving up on EJ yet.

Most certainly. I am a bigger EJ fan than anyone here. If he plays well enough to start and Mark is the back up, we're good. Till the next draft anyway. I just want to make the playoffs for cryin out loud. Even if we fail round one. I'd be happy as hell in that scenario....for about 15 years now. Lol !!

Edited by jaybee

Most certainly. I am a bigger EJ fan than anyone here. If he plays well enough to start and Mark is the back up, we're good. Till the next draft anyway. I just want to make the playoffs for cryin out loud. Even if we fail round one. I'd be happy as hell in that scenario....for about 15 years now. Lol !!

I am with ya Brother !

Seriously? How about Sanchez should've headed for the sidelines or just thrown it out of bounds? Have you ever seen an O-lineman get pushed around during a running play? It's up to the ball carrier to find a hole, not run right into one of your own men. I watch this and think, because it was a blown play, Sanchez panicked and just ran straight ahead to make something positive out of it. Trouble was, he didn't look where he was going and could've gotten himself hurt, too. Bottom line: I don't trust his decision making under pressure. Oh, and a different angle...

sanchez211.gif

No, thank you!!!!!

Edited by Peace Frog