Chargers need to move;propose shared LA stadium w/Raiders

YoloinOhio

Their history is they started in LA in 1960.

La fans

#1 Foreign team out of Ca state

#2 Raiders

#3 Chargers

#4 49ers

#5 Rams

If Chargers, Rams, expansion team, or heck, even all 3 move to La

La fans

#2 Raiders

#3 Rams

#4 Expansion team

#5 Chargers

Over time this order could change depending on how good or bad teams 2-5 do.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La fans

#2 Raiders

#3 Chargers

#4 49ers

#5 Rams

If Chargers, Rams, expansion team, or heck, even all 3 move to La

La fans

#2 Raiders

#3 Rams

#4 Expansion team

#5 Chargers

Over time this order could change depending on how good or bad teams 2-5 do.

so you are saying LA football fans don't really care about the Chargers and would care even less if they moved there? This makes me feel even worse for SD. Plus isn't college FB (USC, UCLA) more popular there than nfl or is that just a myth?

so you are saying LA football fans don't really care about the Chargers and would care even less if they moved there? This makes me feel even worse for SD. Plus isn't college FB (USC, UCLA) more popular there than nfl or is that just a myth?

Im saying they have some la fans cuz la doesnt have a team. Once la has a team, lots of them will abandon sd.

Also college fb is more popular right now. Cuz we dont have an nfl team.

Expansion fees will be much higher than $100 Million.

Im also sure that LA plus any new expansion markets will only bump viewership and TV money. (oh yeah forgot to add London as a possibility). It will be 2 teams, say $1 Billion each. Plus public money totalling $500 Million to a Billion each.

Of course. I was probably not clear enough when I said $100 million - I was referring to a "per team" (1/32) cut of expansion fees if they were able to get both teams to go for $1.6 billion, give or take ($3.2B/32 = $100M a team). Yes, some owners may jump at the ability to collect a sweet one time payment, but will all of them? I imagine quite a few would rather keep their percentage stake in the NFL rather than giving it away for a lump sum.

Remember, Goodell is pushing this idea to the owners that he can get to $25B in revenue ($17B by tv money alone) by 2027. This sounds like fantasy to me and many others, but owners may think differently. If a majority of them actually believe the Goodell kool-aid, do you really think they'd be willing to split the pie with another two folks for the chance to make $100 M immediately?

Im saying they have some la fans cuz la doesnt have a team. Once la has a team, lots of them will abandon sd.

Also college fb is more popular right now. Cuz we dont have an nfl team.

in some cities, cfb is more popular even where they do have an nfl team - such as Jax.

This is why I really hate the NFL, and if not for my emotional attachment to the Bills I would never watch another game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with SD's stadium, or the Ralph, or any other stadium for the vast majority of the fans. The only real reason for new stadiums is to cater to the uber-rich who want luxury boxes so they don't have to mingle with the even the modestly rich, let alone the middle class. The greed and arrogance of the NFL knows no bounds. Cities are just plain stupid for building palaces that never return the investment to the community. Although the Chargers have a great tradition in SD, good for the city not to buckle under to the NFL.

This is why I really hate the NFL, and if not for my emotional attachment to the Bills I would never watch another game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with SD's stadium, or the Ralph, or any other stadium for the vast majority of the fans. The only real reason for new stadiums is to cater to the uber-rich who want luxury boxes so they don't have to mingle with the even the modestly rich, let alone the middle class. The greed and arrogance of the NFL knows no bounds. Cities are just plain stupid for building palaces that never return the investment to the community. Although the Chargers have a great tradition in SD, good for the city not to buckle under to the NFL.

exactly. chargers have a great tradition IN SAN DIEGO. the thought of moving the team is stupid, every time i hear it.

We're talking about a 2 hour drive....

What would be really stupid is if they still called them San Diego Chagers in La. That would be very stupid. The los angeles chargers of san diego. Omg what a stupid idea.

Kind of like the Los angeles Angels of Anaheim. You're not playing in Los angeles. And the Anaheim part is not in Los angeles. Who thought of this stupid name!!!!

exactly. chargers have a great tradition IN SAN DIEGO. the thought of moving the team is stupid, every time i hear it.

We're talking about a 2 hour drive....

What would be really stupid is if they still called them San Diego Chagers in La. That would be very stupid. The los angeles chargers of san diego. Omg what a stupid idea.

Kind of like the Los angeles Angels of Anaheim. You're not playing in Los angeles. And the Anaheim part is not in Los angeles. Who thought of this stupid name!!!!

We're gonna become The Buffalo Bills of Greater Ontario in Orchard Park.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I'm not entirely convinced the NFL actually wants a team in LA just like I'm not convinced the NBA wants to give a team back to Seattle. It's much easier to put pressure on local governments when there's a nice juicy alternative market, though I imagine London or Toronto would step up in the order to take LA's spot.

The NFL no doubt believes the Chargers can still keep their SD fan base after moving them to LA, while at the same time gaining the monster LA market for league revenue. Hard to argue when it's just a 2hr drive. I agree about keeping the history, though I'd rename them the Southern California (Southern Cal) Chargers.

You do realize that if the same thing would have happened to us and we went to Toronto, they would have marketed the same exact thing, right?

From here in San Diego, it seems more like the team is talking tough trying to get a better stadium deal.

Clearly there needs to be a new stadium deal at some point, the question is where and with how much public financing.

I think the NFL knows that between San Diego, St. Louis, and Oakland, there is clearly a market leader of the bunch, and would like to see this unsettled threat just long enough to get a public stadium in San Diego.

Also the Spanos family that owns the team is very tied to San Diego, and I think would really hate to move (but clearly would if there were no stadium options).

My prediction remains that Oakland and St. Louis go back to LA and San Diego eventually works out a stadium deal to stay.

Thank God the Pegula's bought the Bills ! We are so lucky! No new stadium issues like the Chargers are going thru. It's stupid that the Spanos family and the city cant agree on who puts up what money. They have the perfect site beside Petco Park, an old San Diego bus terminal could house the stadium and plenty of parking from Petco stadium. Very stupid they cant reach a deal. Also would expand the convention center for more commercial space and Comic Con which is huge every year.

Stupid ego's blocking this logical deal.

Thank God the Pegula's bought the Bills ! We are so lucky! No new stadium issues like the Chargers are going thru. It's stupid that the Spanos family and the city cant agree on who puts up what money. They have the perfect site beside Petco Park, an old San Diego bus terminal could house the stadium and plenty of parking from Petco stadium. Very stupid they cant reach a deal. Also would expand the convention center for more commercial space and Comic Con which is huge every year.

Stupid ego's blocking this logical deal.

it would also be a perfect place to regularly host the SB with a new stadium. It doesn't even need a roof to be multi-use.