Aaron Murray

13player

I haven't heard anyone talk about a possible trade with KC for Aaron Murray, his name has not been thrown out there at all, the guy played in the SEC, 3 year starter, has a big arm. I know he had the knee issues and showed up to his pro day with a knee brace but looked good. I was kind off surprised he slipped to the 5th but I think he is just as good a gamble as anyone in the draft other than the first two QBs. His scouting report looked pretty good if I remember correctly.

With the exception of Eli, Cutler and Bradford the rest of the guys in the mix offer very little. I think Murray has a better upside than Sanchez, Moore or Gabbert and he could be had with one of Buffalos two - fifth round picks.

One last thing, Rumors had it that Rex was pretty high on Aaron Murray and had discussions about drafting him last year when he was with the jets. There's more than one story about the Rex and Murray draft rumors but I will post the link if anyone wants.

And finally - its some thing no one has been talking about.

I love Aaron Murray. He's a little limited physically by NFL standard but is tough and a winner. That SEC championship game that Georgia came up a couple of yards short in was one of the guttiest games that I have ever seen a guy play. I would not be even a little surprised to see him turn into a Matt Schaub type of pro. I would much, much, much, much rather give up a 5th for Murray than to draft any QB this year not named Jameis or Marcus. Just my opinion but he has ALL the QB intangibles. He may never amount to more than a backup but he is the kind of guy that I think will be in this league for a while. I don't want him as the only option as this point but he could be your QB of the future IMO.

I love Aaron Murray. He's a little limited physically by NFL standard but is tough and a winner. That SEC championship game that Georgia came up a couple of yards short in was one of the guttiest games that I have ever seen a guy play. I would not be even a little surprised to see him turn into a Matt Schaub type of pro. I would much, much, much, much rather give up a 5th for Murray than to draft any QB this year not named Jameis or Marcus. Just my opinion but he has ALL the QB intangibles. He may never amount to more than a backup but he is the kind of guy that I think will be in this league for a while. I don't want him as the only option as this point but he could be your QB of the future IMO.

im surprised that if they liked him they didnt take a shot last year, but im not sure what to read into the decision making process at qb at this point...

I dont get it. I lived in GA, watched a ton of college ball, and even went to a number of UGA games while Murray was there, and Ive never been that impressed with him. Yeah, he put up good numbers over his career, but I dont recall anything that showed he'd be a decent NFL QB.

I also attended a number of games when Matthew Stafford was there, and his college play looked light years ahead of Murray. It was obvious he could go onto the NFL and be a good QB.

I dunno, jmho. But I wouldnt waste too many resources trying to get Murray, nor would I expect much from him.

I dont get it. I lived in GA, watched a ton of college ball, and even went to a number of UGA games while Murray was there, and Ive never been that impressed with him. Yeah, he put up good numbers over his career, but I dont recall anything that showed he'd be a decent NFL QB.

I also attended a number of games when Matthew Stafford was there, and his college play looked light years ahead of Murray. It was obvious he could go onto the NFL and be a good QB.

I dunno, jmho. But I wouldnt waste too many resources trying to get Murray, nor would I expect much from him.

well, its the reason we are talking late round prospect vs #1 pick. murray has a lower ceiling and is a longer shot.... but among those late round long shots, i think he is as good as any.

Is turning into a "Matt Schaub type" really a good thing?

The problem with him having all the intangibles is that he doesnt have many of the actual tangibles.

If KC was willing to do a straight-up trade for a 5th round pick, I'd consider it. But he'd most likely be just another in a long string of 2nd Tier Bills QBs (Orton, Fitz, Edwards, etc). Not sure what the point would really be there other than to have a safer bet than Tuel should EJ get injured.

well, its the reason we are talking late round prospect vs #1 pick. murray has a lower ceiling and is a longer shot.... but among those late round long shots, i think he is as good as any.

Sure, I'll give you that. Ive just seen so many people that are absolutely in love with the guy.

I don't think wasting a pick on a guy with some potential is the worst thing we could do, but I don't think taking a shot on Aaron has any greater chance of not working out than any of our other choices, other than Eli, Bradford and Cutler. By the way I hate cutler.

I'd rather just trade a 5th rounder for Schaub.

The problem with him having all the intangibles is that he doesnt have many of the actual tangibles.

If KC was willing to do a straight-up trade for a 5th round pick, I'd consider it. But he'd most likely be just another in a long string of 2nd Tier Bills QBs (Orton, Fitz, Edwards, etc). Not sure what the point would really be there other than to have a safer bet than Tuel should EJ get injured.

Sure, I'll give you that. Ive just seen so many people that are absolutely in love with the guy.

The odds of a 5th round pick turning into a franchise guy aren't great. Their tangibles are what put them there in the 1st place. With that being said he has a much better chance than most 5th round guys because of his intangibles and experience. Matt Schaub in his prime was the ultimate game manager. That is what I could see Murray doing. He may never be more than a back up but I could easily see him being a 10 year backup. That is absolutely worth a 5th to me. There is a chance that he develops beyond that for sure. He is a more accurate Fitz in a lot of ways.

For those that don't follow college football and are craving an unbelievable game:

Prior to falling off the cliff, Schaub was better than any QB in Buffalo in the last 15 years

Alright, fair enough. As long as we are being realistic and thinking of him only as a backup with a small chance worth no more than a 5th rounder, Im not against bringing him in. I do like his personality, and it would definitely be an upgrade to our QB corp.

Ha ha, my Aaron Murray mancrush knows no boundaries :).

All joking aside he is a decent developmental prospect that IMO could go from a solid (think Tannehill now) type of starter on the high end to a decent backup on the other side of the spectrum. His floor is high for a young guy. I just don't think that his ceiling is terribly high.

I haven't heard anyone talk about a possible trade with KC for Aaron Murray, his name has not been thrown out there at all, the guy played in the SEC, 3 year starter, has a big arm. I know he had the knee issues and showed up to his pro day with a knee brace but looked good. I was kind off surprised he slipped to the 5th but I think he is just as good a gamble as anyone in the draft other than the first two QBs. His scouting report looked pretty good if I remember correctly.

With the exception of Eli, Cutler and Bradford the rest of the guys in the mix offer very little. I think Murray has a better upside than Sanchez, Moore or Gabbert and he could be had with one of Buffalos two - fifth round picks.

One last thing, Rumors had it that Rex was pretty high on Aaron Murray and had discussions about drafting him last year when he was with the jets. There's more than one story about the Rex and Murray draft rumors but I will post the link if anyone wants.

And finally - its some thing no one has been talking about.

doesn't have big arm or physical ability to play, he is basically Fitz

I also love Aaron Murray. He was a terrific college QB & imho will turn out better than Schaub. The only reason he hasn't been playing is his rehab & his playing behind a vet.