Darnell Docket: the NFL's Dirty Laundry

YoloinOhio

Good article. Not everyone who plays in the nfl is a millionaire. But everyone in nfl puts it all on the line every Sunday. They play with injuries and head trauma- because they will lose job if they don't play. Most will suffer rest of their lives- even though average nfl career is only 3.3 years. The nfl makes billions off these warriors, yet does not pay one cent in taxes. And meanwhile, exnfl players suffer their own personal way

Cry me a river Darnell. You've been paid tens of millions of dollars.

Non-guaranteed contracts is the reason the NFL is the best and most balanced sports league in the country. There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about NFL contracts. I don't know too many other people who are guaranteed full payment of salary if they stop coming to work or stop producing at previous levels.

Good article. Not everyone who plays in the nfl is a millionaire. But everyone in nfl puts it all on the line every Sunday. They play with injuries and head trauma- because they will lose job if they don't play. Most will suffer rest of their lives- even though average nfl career is only 3.3 years. The nfl makes billions off these warriors, yet does not pay one cent in taxes. And meanwhile, exnfl players suffer their own personal way

Seriously? This ignorant nonsense again??

Please, Mr Dockett, if you do not like your profession, choose another. Just like any of us who find ourselves in a career path we do not like we change it.

what he says:

Non-guaranteed contracts is the reason the NFL is the best and most balanced sports league in the country. There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about NFL contracts. I don't know too many other people who are guaranteed full payment of salary if they stop coming to work or stop producing at previous levels.

inb4 golden parachutes and CEO's making billions!

facts are now ignorant? Lol have you ever heard of a double Irish double Dutch sandwich?

I think he's right regarding those players that are signing their 3rd or 4th contracts, they are considered veterans and they should get some guaranteed compensation, they're the players that will suffer the most because of career longevity.

The league pounds it's chest with player safety, they should seek some sort of monetary rule regarding veteran players.

I think he's right regarding those players that are signing their 3rd or 4th contracts, they are considered veterans and they should get some guaranteed compensation, they're the players that will suffer the most because of career longevity.

The league pounds it's chest with player safety, they should seek some sort of monetary rule regarding veteran players.

They do get some guaranteed compensation -- they're called signing bonuses.

but but but, the NFL is a non prof!

You forgot: And Roger Goodell makes $30MM a year!!!!!11

Good read on MMQB Behind the Face Mask

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/31/darnell-dockett-nfl-dirty-laundry/

While the media obsesses over quiet players and PSI, the biggest problems in professional football go unnoticed. From concussions to non-guaranteed contracts, players are getting fed up with the league's rampant hypocrisy

Concussions have gone...unnoticed??? Where?

As for non-guaranteed contracts: don't like them? Go play in the MLB or the NBA. Or go get a real job.

Guys like this are oblivious to their situations.

I think he IS getting a real job...he is developing a career in sports journalism.

Hopefully, the players will work together to improve their working conditions... just like everyone else wants to.

I think generally they deserve better, but it's up to them to leverage it (no doubt the same guys attacking this article will resent them for it). This article is just laying out some of the conditions that they work under, that they don't like...not whining.

Concussions have gone...unnoticed??? Where?

As for non-guaranteed contracts: don't like them? Go play in the MLB or the NBA. Or go get a real job.

Guys like this are oblivious to their situations.

More likely, you are oblivious to the players situations, seeing as their lives are rather uncommon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

Edited by HoF Watkins

Warriors? No. They don't chose to play the game for altruistic reasons. They chose to play because it is fun and they have the opportunity to get paid lots of money. They are not warriors - metaphor, or not.

Warriors? No. They don't chose to play the game for altruistic reasons. They chose to play because it is fun and they have the opportunity to get paid lots of money. They are not warriors - metaphor, or not.

I think the word "Warrior" is pretty accurate...

war·ri·or

(wôr′ē-ər, wŏr′-)

n.
1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict:
Edited by HoF Watkins

I think the word "Warrior" is pretty accurate...

war·ri·or

(wôr′ē-ər, wŏr′-)

n.
1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict:

I am presently engaged in aggressively eating a chicken sandwich. Warrior me!

Fully guaranteed contracts would mean lower dollars/year contracts and for shorter terms. It would also likely mean an even higher pay disparity between the star players and the average players. Not knowing the NFLs pension/injury schemes, I assume Dockett has some decent points in that area......but asking for fully guaranteed contracts is perhaps highlighting why his eggs were only in the "can play football" basket.

A lot of "if you don't like it, go get another job" sentiment in this thread. I.e., if someone has it pretty good, they're not allowed to complain about the negative aspects of their job or life. I don't agree with that sentiment, but I get where it's coming from. I just wish that the people who feel that way would apply those same standards to the owners, especially the ones who inherited their money. I'm really sick of common people leaping to billionaire owners' defense when those owners start a lockout to get more money (or a longer season, or more drug testing, or whatever). The owners, on the whole, have a MUUUUUUUUCH better deal than the players. And yet they're the ones who keep asking for more money - sometimes from the players, and sometimes from the public in the form of taxpayer-funded stadiums.

Anyway, I thought this was a very nice article by Darnell Dockett, and the thing I like best about it is him calling out the media. Most sportswriters are very professionally lazy - a lot of these guys just keep writing the same "I don't like Player X because he doesn't play ball with the media" story over and over. Lynch happens to be the current target, but it's irrelevant. It's boring and pointless. I don't need every sports columnist to be conducting hard-hitting investigative journalism, but there are interesting topics to write about out there, if they're just willing to try something new.