Narrow goal posts at the Pro Bowl

papazoid

One of the NFLs many experiments with different rules at this years Pro Bowl is the narrowing of the goal posts from 18 feet across to 14 feet across, which the league hopes will make field goals and extra points more difficult, and therefore more interesting for the fans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/25/narrow-goal-posts-at-the-pro-bowl-look-a-little-goofy/

i like it.....need to place greater importance on TD's.

the physics need to change, they are correct.

Just 20 years ago, anything over 40 yards got a bit sketchy and over 50 was somewhat rare/a huge boot. Now, things are pretty automatic to a point (unless you hold onto Linedell for too long and your team is incapable of trying for 50+ yards.

i think theyre fine the way they are .... what needs to change is the extra point. give them something to think about when deciding to go for 1 or 2 .... push it back to whatever the distance it takes to change the calculation .... guessing between 30 to 35 yards. extra point has no drama

If you make it harder to kick field goals, especially long field goals, you also make it harder to teams to come from behind, or catch up late in the game.

I don't see how that makes things better for fans.

Also, why put more emphasis on touchdowns? A lot of teams have trouble scoring a TD as it is. Now you want to take away field goal points too?

Have there been rule changes that have made it easier for kickers or something?

If it's just the fact that kickers are better now than they used to be, I don't see a reason why it needs to be changed...

needs? no. potential spot to investigate opportunity? sure.

If you make it harder to kick field goals, especially long field goals, you also make it harder to teams to come from behind, or catch up late in the game.

I don't see how that makes things better for fans.

Also, why put more emphasis on touchdowns? A lot of teams have trouble scoring a TD as it is. Now you want to take away field goal points too?

should effect both teams similarly. the winning team wont get gimme points to extend the lead either.

Sorry, not really interested in seeing a lot more games decided by missed extra points.

On the other hand, this would be a nice boost to the people who like seeing punts on 4 and 1 from the opponent's 40 .

Then just make a TD worth 7 and spare the us the anti-climaxtic PAT. If teams go for 2 and don't make it then deduct a point

The league-wide average for PAT attempts finished above 99 percent for the fifth-consecutive season.

For the 2014 regular season, kickers were successful on 84 percent of field goal attempts.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/26/7902121/adam-vinatieri-cody-parkey-pro-bowl-kickers-pat

Wow..........imagine what it would have been without the Detroit Lions included................ :lol: