Dungy: NFL needs to restrict New England’s substitution game

Reed83HOF

Ineligible players were announced. Protocol was followed.

No, it wasn't. In fact, the Pats first TD of the second half should have been called back for either an illegal formation or an illegal substitution (or both).

"Anything that’s close, we stay as far away from the line as we can." :doh:

That line I really loved. He makes a career of dancing on the line, and claims he stays as far away from that line as he can?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They announced the eligibility the first time they did it. Any D can now see what they are doing, so the element of surprise is pretty much gone. Seeing a RB or WR report to a ref is not a subtle tip off...

Dungy won a single SB with far more talent than many teams of his era.

Was that supposed to be a knock on Dungy? We didn't win one with all the talent we had. I'll take even just ONE.

Edited by Dopey

We've become a culture that doesn't respect the intent of a rule. If I didn't violate EXACTLY the way a rule or law was printed out, I didn't do any wrong. That is crap. I feel like when ever a rule is made, the intent needs to be explained out. If you have to carefully tip toe around a rule to not violate it...... Than you know you're not in spirit of the rule.

But sure.... Tha pats are the victims here.

Even if BB didn't have anything to do with the deflated balls, is he not still responsible for creating a culture where the rules of the game are of no consequence?

Edited by JaxBills

We've become a culture that doesn't respect the intent of a rule. If I didn't violate EXACTLY the way a rule or law was printed out, I didn't do any wrong. That is crap. I feel like when ever a rule is made, the intent needs to be explained out. If you have to carefully tip toe around a rule to not violate it...... Than you know you're not in spirit of the rule.

But sure.... Tha pats are the victims here.

Become? Humans have always been like this.

Become? Humans have always been like this.

not humans. Individuals.

I know a few folks from "the greatest generation" and learn as many of my life lessons from them.

No, Human culture has changed for better and worse over time.....

That response opened up so many thoughts and ideals about how culture changes, my mi d became to crowded to gather an organized response, lol..

Edited by JaxBills

So a guy reports ineligible, then walks out and lines up as one of the 5 guys on the line in the middle with the 2 outside him eligible, and the defense is bamboozled?

It was poor awareness in the moment like mcNabb not knowing how overtime works. If these guys actually learn the fundamentals of formations instead of "I cover a guy in the 80s" it's not just easy but gives them an advantage when NE does this as the ineligible guy doesn't even need to be covered. Ignore him from the moment he reports even.

I think the refs are supposed to announce whether a player reporting is eligible or not. That didn't happen in this case. Sure the player reported to the refs, but the ref did not announce it like they would if a lineman reported as an eligible receiver. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wr's and Rb's must wear a # within a certain range to help determine who is an eligible receiver. If you don't have a # within that range you must report as an eligible receiver. If you wear a # that belongs to a WR or RB, you must report as an ineligible receiver in the case of the Pats game. This rule is in place and the refs announce the eligibility of a lineman for a reason. They should also announce that a guy wearing #34 is NOT an eligible receiver, even though he is lined up wide.

I think the refs are supposed to announce whether a player reporting is eligible or not. That didn't happen in this case. Sure the player reported to the refs, but the ref did not announce it like they would if a lineman reported as an eligible receiver. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wr's and Rb's must wear a # within a certain range to help determine who is an eligible receiver. If you don't have a # within that range you must report as an eligible receiver. If you wear a # that belongs to a WR or RB, you must report as an ineligible receiver in the case of the Pats game. This rule is in place and the refs announce the eligibility of a lineman for a reason. They should also announce that a guy wearing #34 is NOT an eligible receiver, even though he is lined up wide.

it did happen. it was announced over the PA system and indicated to the defense. someone in the big thread linked to an article stating the defense had even on the shortest window something like 12 or 14 seconds notice between announcement and snap.

the only reason that numbering rule was adopted, was so 60 years later BB could use it to trick all of us...lol

it did happen. it was announced over the PA system and indicated to the defense. someone in the big thread linked to an article stating the defense had even on the shortest window something like 12 or 14 seconds notice between announcement and snap.

I missed it then. I saw the rb go to the ref and announce he was ineligible. I listened to see if the ref announced it over the PA but didn't see/hear it. Must have just missed it then.

I agree with Dungy. The Seahawks should fake injury on every play. Is it against the rules? Not technically? Against the spirit? Sure. But so is what the Pats are pulling. So get ready for a long SB.

Yes. The Seahawks and Carroll are not just going to let this happen to them and like Dungy said get an apology letter the next day. Expect their own substitution wrinkles on Defense/Offense or a lot of injured players. I would, and dare Goodell to play favoritism towards the Pats.

I missed it then. I saw the rb go to the ref and announce he was ineligible. I listened to see if the ref announced it over the PA but didn't see/hear it. Must have just missed it then.

it happens - we miss a lot on TV (dont hear 99% of PA stuff) and when the frenzy gets going, its hard to catch details like that in the discussion. they often dont come out until after half the people made up their minds.

In the AFC championship game, the damn network kept running their own bull **** between plays; you never even saw a huddle, much less officials announcing an (in)eligible receiver.

Also, the ref isn't required to announce it over the PA, anyway. He's only required to inform the defensive captain. And they probably weren't announcing every single instance on the PA, since the Pats were doing it nearly every single play in the 2nd half.

In the AFC championship game, the damn network kept running their own bull **** between plays; you never even saw a huddle, much less officials announcing an (in)eligible receiver.

Also, the ref isn't required to announce it over the PA, anyway. He's only required to inform the defensive captain. And they probably weren't announcing every single instance on the PA, since the Pats were doing it nearly every single play in the 2nd half.

it was documented that it even made it to the PA every time against the ravens. i know that takes some of the fun out, but.... unfortunately the ravens knew what was going on but were completely unprepared on how to handle the simple wrinkle. it happens.

I agree with Dungy. The Seahawks should fake injury on every play. Is it against the rules? Not technically? Against the spirit? Sure. But so is what the Pats are pulling. So get ready for a long SB.

Carroll won't need to. His DC will recognize when a RB goes up to a ref to declare himself ineligible and the ref indicates the RB is now ineligible, that the RB is indeed ineligible.

As NoSaint says, it was announced--particularly on the play where Harbaugh screamed as his pants were still around his ankles.

If they were doing the exactly the same thing on "nearly every single play in the 2nd half" (a shameless fabrication), it surely didn't seem to fool the Ravens much.