Sportrac predictions for salaries: Hughes 5-$60m

Damn. A team may pay 12 mill to get Hughes annually or Hughes anally gets that team for 12 mill?

Has Hughes come out of the closet or something? Michael Sam part deux?

Pretty sure the rest of the team wouldn't like a contract stipulation for Hughes that he gets to have them "anally" lmao!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bills ought to sign him at that price. 20 mil guaranteed isn't outrageous; they just need to structure the deal with some creativity.

Yep. Pay him 24 million in the first two years with 20 guaranteed (which will basically be 24m guaranteed) and then decide in year three if he is worth it.

Sportrac has become very reliable for contracts in the last couple years and is now the go to site for a lot of fans, including many here.

They just predicted the contracts the Top Free Agents will get and the numbers are sky high.

Jerry Hughes is predicted to sign for:

5 years, $60,944,939 ($20.7M guaranteed) Average Salary: $12,188,988

I had predicted about 12m a few times here myself, so I obviously think these guys know their stuff! ;)

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/contract-projections-for-upcoming-free-agents-extension-candidates/

Also of interest, they predict...

Mike Iupati (G, SF) 5 years, $31,000,000 ($13.5M guaranteed) Average Salary: $6,200,000

CJ Spiller (RB, BUF) 3 years,$12,262,595 ($2.9M guaranteed) Average Salary: $4,087,532

And, of course, they spelled Lupati's name wrong.

I agree with the Iupati prediction. I think Spiller will get much more guaranteed though. Closer to 6-7M. Hughes, I think, will be closer to Cliff Avril than Tamba Hali. Hughes get 4 years, 34-36M.

I agree with the Iupati prediction. I think Spiller will get much more guaranteed though. Closer to 6-7M. Hughes, I think, will be closer to Cliff Avril than Tamba Hali. Hughes get 4 years, 34-36M.

I'll bet anything Hughes gets over 10m. Probably over 12. He's young. He did it two years in a row. He's relentless. He forced fumbles and had stuffs behind the line, even scored a TD. The tape will show that it wasn't at all just because of the other guys. He made some of the best OT look slow, like Joe Thomas. He was excellent against the run, ran down guys from behind on the other side of the line, and graded out as the #14 DE in the entire league.

He's a stud.

Sportrac has become very reliable for contracts in the last couple years and is now the go to site for a lot of fans, including many here.

They just predicted the contracts the Top Free Agents will get and the numbers are sky high.

Jerry Hughes is predicted to sign for:

5 years, $60,944,939 ($20.7M guaranteed)

Average Salary: $12,188,988

I had predicted about 12m a few times here myself, so I obviously think these guys know their stuff! ;)

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/contract-projections-for-upcoming-free-agents-extension-candidates/

Also of interest, they predict...

Mike Iupati (G, SF)

5 years, $31,000,000 ($13.5M guaranteed)

Average Salary: $6,200,000

CJ Spiller (RB, BUF)

3 years,$12,262,595 ($2.9M guaranteed)

Average Salary: $4,087,532And, of course, they spelled Lupati's name wrong.

Wow. Iupati at that cost seems like an absolute bargain! Multi-probowler in his prime....and at $1.6M/year less than what Levitre got 2 years ago. I'm hoping Roman can have some positive input in aquiring him.

Love Jerry Hughes. He's my number 1 priority if I'm the bills GM. 12 mill a year....it's a little steep. I was thinking 10 mill is the highest we go. Is HE worth it? No. But is it worth it to keep this defense, that many of us think is special, together? Maybe. Tough call Doug. If we lose him, my only hope is that we don't replace him with a rookie. I want a sure thing added to the starting

While Hughes benefited from playing with the others, he came to play and has great pass rush ability. His play vs the run improved and I think he's just getting better. His penalties are frustrating, but I love his passion. And the refs are cookoo

I don't see why people are so adverse to signing Hughes at that price. The Bills aren't paying a franchise QB and are unlikely to do so in the next 3-4 years. Because they aren't they can afford to pay these defensive guys. They just have to be smart about how they do it. Front load the contract and pay the man.

I don't see why people are so adverse to signing Hughes at that price. The Bills aren't paying a franchise QB and are unlikely to do so in the next 3-4 years. Because they aren't they can afford to pay these defensive guys. They just have to be smart about how they do it. Front load the contract and pay the man.

Frontloading makes no difference now adays. Any money you don't spend today rolls over into tomorrow.

Pretty much what I expect them to do. If they find a QB its probably going to be a year or 2 until you pay him. Keep the strength of the team together and worry about the QB when/if it happens.

The number seems high but pass rushers are a premium position.

Frontloading makes no difference now adays. Any money you don't spend today rolls over into tomorrow.

I honestly don't have a perfect grasp on how the cap works. Is cap hit not tied to guaranteed money?

Heres my take for what its worth.

-The Defense is going to a 3-4 alignment. Hughes DOES NOT fit this type of system and will be gone by day 1 of free agency. You can bet on it!

-Iaputi has got to be in our radar. Ties to Roman and our glaring need for OG. Keep in mind we have a small savings this year due to no first round draft pick. It isnt a ton like a few years ago with no rookie cap but every little bit helps. I see us making a big push for him.

- Spiler---this is a tough one. We let him walk, he goes to the Jets and ends up tormenting us possibly. With the right system, line, and coordinator this guy is the real deal. He has proven that he can do it. RBs don't make a ton of money. It wouldnt be a bad idea to franchise tag him. That would give us some time to evaluate him in the new system. If he performs offer him 3 years at 15mil with a 3 mil signing bonus. Seems like the safest approach to me.

I honestly don't have a perfect grasp on how the cap works. Is cap hit not tied to guaranteed money?

It is....but I'm not sure what you are meaning by that.

I'll explain why front loading used to work and why it now doesn't.

It used to be that if you were going to pay somebody...lets say 5 years-$50M(I'm not using a signing bonus for simplicity purposes), and you frontloaded it....lets say first 2 seasons of $17.5M/year.......that would leave the last 3 seasons only costing $5M/year, thus giving an extra $5M/year cap space than you would have had had you paid things equally ($10M/year for this example).

A couple of years ago however, a new rollover rule was introduced. Simply put, any leftover money under the cap is added to the next years allowable cap.......and continues like that every year.

In relation to our example, if you didn't frontload the contract, this would meam....

In year 1, the $7.5M not spent on the frontload would rollover into year 2.

In year 2, the $7.5M not spent on the frontload would rollover into year 3....plus the $7.5M from year 1 would also rollover.

In year 3, the extra $5M spent by not frontloading would be offset by the $15M rolled over from years 1 and 2. Effectively one would be better off by $10M at this point by not frontloading.

In year 4, the extra $5M spent by not frontloading would be offset by the $10M rolled over from previous years. Effectively one would be better off by $5M at this point by not frontloading.

In year 5, the extra $5M spent by not frontloading would be offset by the $5M rolled over from previous years. Effectively both ways would end up with the same cap space in year 5.

If you can follow that, you will see that one is actually worse off with the new rollover rules if they frontload contracts. The end result is the same, but there becomes more cap room to play with in the middle years when one doesn't frontload.

I do remember hearing that. Wouldn't it make more sense though to pay a bigger portion of the contract now? With the salary cap going up every year it almost like every team has roll over with the increases.

I do remember hearing that. Wouldn't it make more sense though to pay a bigger portion of the contract now? With the salary cap going up every year it almost like every team has roll over with the increases.

See my post above. :)

See my post above. :)

I see that. Thanks.

Still, I say pay the man. The Bills aren't paying a big QB salary, so might as well spend that money. It won't hurt their ability to pay a QB if further down the line they need to.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I see that. Thanks.

Still, I say pay the man. The Bills aren't paying a big QB salary, so might as well spend that money. It won't hurt their ability to pay a QB if further down the line they need to.

I'm not saying to not pay him(or pay him).....but with the rollover rule, it actually does hurt their ability down the line.

Lets say we pay Hughes $12M/year instead of paying someone else $8M/year......and in 5 seasons time we will be wanting to pay big bucks to a QB. That $4M/year saving becomes $20M of extra cap space in 5 years time.

I don't think it is the possible future QB who is the issue. One needs to consider the definite future contracts of Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Kiko, Woods, Watkins and Brown. That said, we have a good deal of cap space.....and with the constant increases in the cap, I personally wouldn't mind if we overspent a little on Hughes in order to keep this defensive unit together for longer.