The Five Worst Trades In NFL History

sferris

It could be argued that the Herschel Walker deal cost the Bills a superbowl or 2 - only such a lopsided trade allowed a team like dallas to stockpile talent like it did,

I've always thought this as well.

I totally agree. I remember being head scratchingly stunned by the trade at that time.

I was, too. Because I had the good fortune of sitting next to Polian a the airport, when our flight was delayed to Boston. We were both going there for the same thing - in 1993 - the Bills-Pats game. I figured he doesn't want to talk football with me, but after awhile I had USA Today open and it was an article about how Keith Jackson of the Eagles and some other players were all of a sudden free agents. I pointed to it, and said 'Are you going to sign him?" And, then we talked football for the next hour!

And, we brought up this running back who was tearing it up at SD State. Something like Marshall Faulk. He couldn't have been more high on him. I said what about the competition. And, he emphatically said "That guy is the real deal"

And, then 6 years later, he trades him, and I'm like What??

It could be argued that the Herschel Walker deal cost the Bills a superbowl or 2 - only such a lopsided trade allowed a team like dallas to stockpile talent like it did,

Definitely

The Patriots told him and his agent and were working on a contract that would pay him several million dollars more if he played more than 4 games (or something like that) in the state of Florida. So the Dolphins wouldn't be able to match it and they would lose him for nothing. So they made that trade.

Just like the Hutchinson poison pill. Does anybody know if they managed to get rid of that loophole?

Just out of curiosity:

Buffalo Bills trade OJ Simpson to San Francisco for 1978 2nd, 3rd, 1979 1st, 4th, 1980 2nd.

With SF's picks the Bills drafted 1978 Scott Hutchinson DE, Danny Fulton WR, 1979 Tom Cousineau LB (1st overall), Ken Johnson DE, 1980 Joe Cribbs RB.

In 1982, Bills traded Cousineau to Cleveland for 1983 1st, 1984 3rd and 1985 5th round picks.

Bills drafted Jim Kelly with the Browns 1983 1st round pick, 14th overall.

Side Note: Even though the Bills blew the 1st overall in 79 (at the time) they had a fantastic draft. Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett. Jon Borchardt, Jeff Nixon, Rod Kush all in the first 5 rounds.

If the Bills didn't trade OJ to SF, they very well could have not gotten Kelly in 1983.

This site has every draft trade ever. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years

Just out of curiosity:

Buffalo Bills trade OJ Simpson to San Francisco for 1978 2nd, 3rd, 1979 1st, 4th, 1980 2nd.

With SF's picks the Bills drafted 1978 Scott Hutchinson DE, Danny Fulton WR, 1979 Tom Cousineau LB (1st overall), Ken Johnson DE, 1980 Joe Cribbs RB.

In 1982, Bills traded Cousineau to Cleveland for 1983 1st, 1984 3rd and 1985 5th round picks.

Bills drafted Jim Kelly with the Browns 1983 1st round pick, 14th overall.

Side Note: Even though the Bills blew the 1st overall in 79 (at the time) they had a fantastic draft. Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas, Jim Haslett. Jon Borchardt, Jeff Nixon, Rod Kush all in the first 5 rounds.

If the Bills didn't trade OJ to SF, they very well could have not gotten Kelly in 1983.

This site has every draft trade ever. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years

Great post :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The not signing of Cousineau in 1979 is a major reason why Chuck Knox would be leaving Buffalo - there was no commitment.

We went a year later to the brink in 1980 without any help from that #1 overall - Knox was a great great coach.

Another great post and very true! :thumbsup::thumbsup: