The Five Worst Trades In NFL History

sferris

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very unimpressed with that sites research. There are several trades in the realm of what they list, such as.......Welker to Pats for a 2nd & 7th......Faulk to Rams for a 2nd & 5th.

They totally forgot the massive trade in 1974....Packers gave up 1975 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks plus 1976 1st & 2nd round picks to get John Hadl.

Young to 49ers.....Elway to Broncos......the Ricky Williams trade.

Is it too soon to include the RG3 trade?

Lists are great for interest sake (clicks) but I've noticed that very few put in any reasonable research.

Too true. Most lists are taken from the top of the semi-informed twenty something intern's head.

I had no idea the Pack gave up so much for Hadl. I know that they made the playoffs in 1972, and probably thought a top-flight QB would get them back on top. Instead, the 1970s and most of the 1980s were a long frustrating dry period for Green Bay. which is also something few people remember.

Too true. Most lists are taken from the top of the semi-informed twenty something intern's head.

I had no idea the Pack gave up so much for Hadl. I know that they made the playoffs in 1972, and probably thought a top-flight QB would get them back on top. Instead, the 1970s and most of the 1980s were a long frustrating dry period for Green Bay. which is also something few people remember.

Hehehe.....you just reminded me about the entirely vomit inducing "Battle of the Bays"....when TB would play GB. Those were the days. Edited by Dibs

The Bills trading Lamonica was pretty bad. Other than the Hughes trade, the Bills usually wind up getting the short end of the stick.

I would dispute that.I think on trades they usually end up pretty good, much as Darcy did with the Sabres.

Is all the rest of the moves that kill em :thumbsup:

It's not one of the worst in the NFL, but the Drew Bledsoe trade really bombed for the Bills.

That's a hard one to measure, and hard to say that the trade "bombed." Bledsoe won us a significant number of games on his own, and is the best QB the Bills have had since Kelly. NE got our 2003 first, which ended up being #14. They then traded that and their sixth to the Bears to move up to 13 and grab Ty Warren, who was a solid player for them for a few years. With #14 the Bears took DL Michael Haynes, who was a bust. Also worth noting that the Bears were only at #13 because they traded #3 to the Jets, so that they could move up and grab Dewayne Robertson (also a bit of a bust).

So yeah, the Pats definitely got a good player, but there's no telling that the Bills would've made the same moves if they'd been in that position. So I wouldn't say that the trade "bombed." Drew had us competitive in December, something you can't say about many recent Bills Quarterbacks.

Edited by VermontFan

I totally agree. I remember being head scratchingly stunned by the trade at that time.

Yep. Total headscratcher. Btw, I wouldn't include the Welker trade, that was a poison pill situation that the scumbag Cheatriots put the Dolphins in a position where they had to make it or lose him for nothing.

Yep. Total headscratcher. Btw, I wouldn't include the Welker trade, that was a poison pill situation that the scumbag Cheatriots put the Dolphins in a position where they had to make it or lose him for nothing.

Ah....I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.

peters forced us into it, so i'm not sure if it counts, but that was pretty bad. lost a HOFer.

could say the same about marshawn.

We traded Jason Peters at $10million year and received Eric Wood for 5 years (near 2 million/yr) + a 4th + a 6th

Each year we had eric wood + 8 million to spend on FA for LT jason peters....

Ah....I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info.

The Patriots told him and his agent and were working on a contract that would pay him several million dollars more if he played more than 4 games (or something like that) in the state of Florida. So the Dolphins wouldn't be able to match it and they would lose him for nothing. So they made that trade.

Lists are click bait. Little effort and it shows, but it drives traffic.

How so? I don't recall. How did the Pats force the Dolphins hand?

How so? I don't recall. How did the Pats force the Dolphins hand?

From post 34 above...

The Patriots told him and his agent and were working on a contract that would pay him several million dollars more if he played more than 4 games (or something like that) in the state of Florida. So the Dolphins wouldn't be able to match it and they would lose him for nothing. So they made that trade.