Oh what a night...

SDS

If someone is port scanning and syn flooding the IP's make sure u set the firewall to not respond on any unecessary ports. I know that might already be done or be obvious. But for what it's worth. Are you renting a server? is there any hardware security or software firewalls etc?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Sabrespace IP address seemed to have been under two separate attacks. One was SYN flooding and the other was the standard DoS of sending in so many requests that the server would run out of memory. Every time we rebooted the server would become unresponsive in a minute or two.

Host blocked traffic to IP address for me, but had some other issue that took into the morning to resolve on their hardware.

The Tank knows no boundaries.

Thanks for all you do, Scott!

Look, I admit I'm not a sysadmin. I struggle doing this because every "." counts when setting this **** up.

However, I begged my host to just stop incoming traffic to the ip address that was coming in - all of it. They made it sound like they were doing it for me. Rinse and repeat for 2 days.

I finally said that I don't want to be associated with that ip address anymore and they finally responded with "Well, it's a part of your config - you would have to change that on your server".

No ****. It's what I have been asking them to do for two days.

I finally did it myself and things are back to normal (which I couldn't do yesterday because I had zero access). Was this solution so hard to think of and implement? Even a dimwit like me figured it out.

Look, I admit I'm not a sysadmin. I struggle doing this because every "." counts when setting this **** up.

However, I begged my host to just stop incoming traffic to the ip address that was coming in - all of it. They made it sound like they were doing it for me. Rinse and repeat for 2 days.

I finally said that I don't want to be associated with that ip address anymore and they finally responded with "Well, it's a part of your config - you would have to change that on your server".

No ****. It's what I have been asking them to do for two days.

I finally did it myself and things are back to normal (which I couldn't do yesterday because I had zero access). Was this solution so hard to think of and implement? Even a dimwit like me figured it out.

Thanks for your effort, it's appreciated.

For the time issue, is there another place to set the default timezone? It seems like we're displaying GMT instead of EST.

Well if I can help you in any way let me know. I worked as a sys admin and currently work for Cisco I went to RIT. Granted I haven't done it for twenty years but I know 8 or so programming languages and and all the server platforms and a lot of networking so if there's anything I can do to help I'm more then willing.

Thanks for your effort, it's appreciated.

For the time issue, is there another place to set the default timezone? It seems like we're displaying GMT instead of EST.

This is what is messed up.

I set it for New_York and it was 5 hours off. Very weird. I ask host to look into it. They say they fixed it. Now the time on the server is right but it says "GMT" which is wrong.

Neither setting has affected the board time. I restarted apache and set the mysql timezone session variable and neither make a diff either.

I set it for New_York and it was 5 hours off. Very weird. I ask host to look into it. They say they fixed it. Now the time on the server is right but it says "GMT" which is wrong.

Neither setting has affected the board time. I restarted apache and set the mysql timezone session variable and neither make a diff either.

I'm doing some googling to try and determine, but I think the server should be on utc (est) because that is what gets sent back to us. Not 100% on that yet. Will send links to pertinent info if found.

# date
Sun Jan 11 11:35:38 GMT 2015
time is right. Time zone is wrong. I can't even comprehend how this got fubar'd.

Actually that is wrong. GMT should be 5 hours ahead. That's why when the forum is displaying it on my client it's taking the 11:35 GMT and converting it to 6:35 EST (-5). I assume this should be fixable via the date/time settings.

Edit: Sorry, didn't comprehend your post fully. If you can change the timezone via the date/time clock set, what does it do?

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

Actually that is wrong. GMT should be 5 hours ahead. That's why when the forum is displaying it on my client it's taking the 11:35 GMT and converting it to 6:35 EST (-5). I assume this should be fixable via the date/time settings.

My point is that the host changed my timezone to GMT to artificially add 5 hours to the server time, so that the time would appear to be EST.

Maybe the server is being controlled in N. Korea?