Jerry Hughes to Buffalo Bills: No hometown discount

Joaquin1119

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000455828/article/jerry-hughes-to-buffalo-bills-no-hometown-discount

I would be really happy if he stay in buffalo. But! if he end up signing with another team i hope he end up being a FA bust

Edit:

He wants to get pay no doubt about that, I would too. But He also got to remember that we had 3 other guys that can get to the QB as the other team oline has to deal with. So if end up leaving i wouldn't wish him any luck.

Edited by Joaquin1119

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would venture to say that NFL teams are not stupid. They know that Jerry Hughes is not a dominant defensive end in the NFL, and would be out of a job by now if he didnt join the Bills dominant D-line a couple years back. I dont blame him for looking to capitalize off the numbers he has put up with the Bills, but all 32 teams know that Hughes is a "good" player who puts up great numbers due to the pro bowl cast he plays with.

Jerry Hughes is coming off of 2 good years and has a chance to set his family up for generations. He, nor any NFL player should give a discount. Their contracts aren't guaranteed and the average career is like 3 seasons long. If you have a chance to get paid, do it.

For sure. thiugh I think on a loaded line he's more likely to see the full length. If hes a cornerstone pass rusher for a team, he much more likely gets cut in 2-3 years, I think. Admittedly I see him as an elite role player, and not a foundational player you build on.

For sure. thiugh I think on a loaded line he's more likely to see the full length. If hes a cornerstone pass rusher for a team, he much more likely gets cut in 2-3 years, I think. Admittedly I see him as an elite role player, and not a foundational player you build on.

I totally agree and that is a really interesting perspective on the length of the deal. All of these guys go into these deals expecting to see it through. They understand the likelihood that they won't but as competitors believe that they will be the exceptions. The teams don't which is why they are so heavily backloaded.

The NFL treats players like pieces of meat. The second you get injuried or your production drops, they get rid of you. Hughes should get every penny he can get.

I love his energy and he turned his career around. But he is a loaded d line that helps him a ton. But pass rushers are so valuable, he is going to get a monster deal. Sadly, I think he is gone.

Though no Marrone might make him want to come back.

I think Terry might want to make a statement by signing their first big FA to come up under his tenure. I don't question whether he wants to be here at all. I do think he will go for the most money, which he should at this point in his career, and that could be here.

I think Terry might want to make a statement by signing their first big FA to come up under his tenure. I don't question whether he wants to be here at all. I do think he will go for the most money, which he should at this point in his career, and that could be here.

Gotta be smart too. That's a big mistake that Pegula made when he got the Sabres. He threw money around and made a bunch of mistakes.

Hughes is legit but IMO Dareus is more important. And there's Glenn coming up. This will be interesting because I think Hughes is going to get mega money.

Gotta be smart too. That's a big mistake that Pegula made when he got the Sabres. He threw money around and made a bunch of mistakes.

Hughes is legit but IMO Dareus is more important. And there's Glenn coming up. This will be interesting because I think Hughes is going to get mega money.

i agree... If he leaves I'm not torn up about it but they would need to address it for sure on a replacement Edited by YoloinOhio

i agree... If he leaves I'm not torn up about it but they would need to address it for sure.

I love his energy and it would suck to lose such a quality pass rusher in a passing league. I'd sign him in Madden.

Unfortunately, it's trickier than that. What kind of deal do you think we should offer him at max? I'm thinking an incentive laden $8 million/ year. I just worry that won't be enough.

I love his energy and it would suck to lose such a quality pass rusher in a passing league. I'd sign him in Madden.

Unfortunately, it's trickier than that. What kind of deal do you think we should offer him at max? I'm thinking an incentive laden $8 million/ year. I just worry that won't be enough.

I think he ends up 10m but a lot of the board thinks I'm crazy and its 12m

I think he's a guy you keep even at 9-10m but if he walks you can pretty well replace him for 6-8m without a big drop.

Dareus is a much more unique talent and nearing irreplaceable if motivated

This is an old quote...BUT go to the Bills website and listen to the video...in the question before this one he said how much he loved playing with his linemates and would like to keep playing with them. What's he supposed to say? Dumb question on the discount thing.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I think he ends up 10m but a lot of the board thinks I'm crazy and its 12m

I think he's a guy you keep even at 9-10m but if he walks you can pretty well replace him for 6-8m without a big drop.

Dareus is a much more unique talent and nearing irreplaceable if motivated

Good thoughts. It sucks to lose talent but there's a cap and you have to think about the future. Dareus can be q generational type DT. It's crazy to say but I think he has HOF talent.

As much as I love Hughes, unless he goes to a team with other good pass rushers, I think he will struggle to live up to a monster deal.

There is no doubt that Hughes is more replaceable than Dareus. Dareus is the cornerstone of that DL...he is always fighting the double team and making it all work.. Mario is the boss... KW is the coach... Hughes is the wild man. I would hate to see Hughes go. But is the most replaceable one, right now. If we have to.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think he's going to find a lot of high payers, every team knows who his teammates are, 2 all pros and a third you could call a 2nd team all pro, I think highly of Hughes, I'd offer him a 6 year 42 million dollar deal with 21 guaranteed, with the promise that if he gets a better deal he returns to buffalo to give us a matching chance.

I am hope that Marone goes to Atlanta who might be the most desprite to sign him.