Qualifications For the next Head Coach

If Im Whaley:
1. Someone who can look me in the eye and tell me they can make EJ into a competent QB

2. They plan to accomplish #1 by re-establishing a power running game incorporating strong play action and read option elements

3. Are willing to let Schwartz stay as DC.

4. Believe they can take this team to the playoffs in 2015.

Must not listen to WGR on his way to work.

:lol: :lol: /thread

... or TBD

If Im Whaley:

1. Someone who can look me in the eye and tell me they can make EJ into a competent QB

2. They plan to accomplish #1 by re-establishing a power running game incorporating strong play action and read option elements

3. Are willing to let Schwartz stay as DC.

4. Believe they can take this team to the playoffs in 2015.

do honestly think any coach can say they can make any player competent, when they haven't even worked with them or know their personality and demeanor?

The first three don't have to be the HC, if we get an OC with those that'd be awesome. The HC needs to manage the team and coaches. Be aware of all of the rules, health and conditioning of the players. Make sure the players and schemes fit. Make sure the coaching staff is working together. Make sure the game plans are appropriate. Coordinate the practices and training camps. In game, manage the flow, clock, momentum, and morale of the players.

^^^ This right here.

I have been thinking all morning about writing this, and you beat me to it.

They need a HC that is a "manager" who can manage game day, as well as practice, ...... well, see above.

6.A coach willing to take chances, like going for it on 4th and one.When you have a stud defense, take a chance.

I thought of this in the Dallas playoff game. Forget the "non call" that put them in the position to make the play. 6 minutes left in the game, about mid field, behind by 3, 4th and long, Dallas went for it. A coach like Hackett would have punted, and lost that game. I don't want a coach that plays not to loose, but a coach and a team that plays to win.

1) Must accept Schwartz as his DC. He needs to understand that one part of the team is fixed and ready to go.

2) HC with offensive background that can adapt his "system" to the talent at hand.

3) Offensive minded coach that can sit on a defensive meeting and understand what they are doing

4) A coach that respects his players but is not friends with them. Tough love

5) Can talk with the GM, president and owner and doesn't need a third party to vent frustrations. In essence not a kitty snitch.

I don't care much for the innovative and aggressive nature of the coach, I want a smart one that can adapt on the fly to what the situation is calling him to do.

The first three don't have to be the HC, if we get an OC with those that'd be awesome. The HC needs to manage the team and coaches. Be aware of all of the rules, health and conditioning of the players. Make sure the players and schemes fit. Make sure the coaching staff is working together. Make sure the game plans are appropriate. Coordinate the practices and training camps. In game, manage the flow, clock, momentum, and morale of the players.

I like this. I really liked what Carolina did against the Cardinals in playoff game, offensively. Would like to see the Bills incorporate some of that stuff.

:lol: :lol: /thread

... or TBD

do honestly think any coach can say they can make any player competent, when they haven't even worked with them or know their personality and demeanor?

Power run game isn't essential. Look how Carolina operate with Jonathan Stewart. I like your draft except you're missing a TE. The Bills need a TE. Maxx Williams from Minnesota would be nice.

If Im Whaley:

Seriously? I wouldn't give a plugged nickle for someone who would say that about a QB they've never personally worked with or seen film that included info about the design of each play.

Yeah I don't want a liar for head coach. After Marrone, not sure how I feel about slippery characters in that role.

But seriously, EJ shouldn't be part of the discussion for interviewing head coaches. EJ is no longer the #16 overall pick. His worth on the trade market is probably a 7th-rounder. 6th-rounder at most (although I doubt it). We have to treat him like the sunk cost and likely bust that he is. That doesn't mean we shouldn't give EJ a chance to compete for a QB job on the roster, but we also shouldn't shackle potential coaches into needing to turn EJ into a competent starter. That will probably make head coaching candidates want to run away from the job.

1. Shows the ability to develop a young Quarterback. I believe the best thing to do is to stick with EJ Manuel and pick up Jake Locker. Have an open competition in camp, best man wins.

2. Creative offensive mind, an innovator not a follower, copy cat coach.

3. Develops a passing game to take advantage of Watkins, Woods and Hogan. Ten to fifteen yard passes, not two yard passes and hope they break a tackle.

4. Someone who will keep Schwartz as DC. Players love him, and results speak for themselves.

5. Players coach who respects the players. Marrone did not.

6.A coach willing to take chances, like going for it on 4th and one.When you have a stud defense, take a chance.

Agree wholeheartedly with 1-5, and may entertain No. 6 given the game situation, time on the clock, score, etc...but certainly a legitimate point to make with the way Jim Schwartz had the defense playing throughout the season.

Be angry all of the time... the best coaches are pissed off all of the time. Think about it. Think about the best coaches...always pissed off.

Marv Levy was always fuming mad... on the sidelines

Bill Parcels never smiled until the games were a blow out.

Bill Belcheat... I don't have to say anything more

Jim Harbaugh....

Bill Cowher

Mike Ditka

The list is much longer... I am sure you can add to it of you think about it.

​ We just have to find a guy with massive rage issues :censored:that has good assistant coaches and let them game plan.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Be angry all of the time... the best coaches are pissed off all of the time. Think about it. Think about the best coaches...always pissed off.

Marv Levy was always fuming mad... on the sidelines

Bill Parcels never smiled until the games were a blow out.

Bill Belcheat... I don't have to say anything more

Jim Harbaugh....

Bill Cowher

Mike Ditka

The list is much longer... I am sure you can add to it of you think about it.

​ We just have to find a guy with massive rage issues :censored:that has good assistant coaches and let them game plan.

So by your qualifications you want Rex???

Maybe more than leadership, or practice regimens, or player relations, or all that pre-game stuff, I think this team is ready for a coach who is known for GAME TIME decisions. Marrone sucked at clock management, knowing when to take risks, end of half strategy, etc. This team really needs that. A lot of the other stuff can be made up for by the assistants and coordinators, but if the HC isn't good on the sidelines, when all the plans are being put into motion, it undermines the best laid plans.

Edited by HoF Watkins