Lee Steinberg

billfan63

Heard Lee Steinberg talking on the radio today about LA getting a franchise.

He said the NFL will help build the stadium on a site by the Coliseum and it could be a expansion team but more likely an existing team. He stated it could anyone of three teams. Any ideas, or is this just BS wishful thinking on his part?

He said the NFL will help build the stadium on a site by the Coliseum and it could be a expansion team but more likely an existing team. He stated it could anyone of three teams. Any ideas, or is this just BS wishful thinking on his part?

228885[/snapback]

This LA crap is the NFL at its worst. They aren't just letting an owner move an underperforming team to the city, they are actually openly trying to force a team to move. Shows how little they care about fans in other cities. Seriously, how many failures have to occur before they realize that maybe football doesn't work in LA.

I wonder which three teams would seriously be considered. My guess is that Indy is no longer an option, and probably the same with Minnesota.

If there is one team that makes the most sense, it would be Arizona. I don't know what the situation is with their stadium, but the team wouldn't even have to switch divisions to be in the "correct" one. That team has such pathetic support as well.

If Buffalo is even seriously considered, it would be such a travesty simply because the team has such great fan support, and that would really just be crapping all over the fans solely in the interest of the mighty buck.

If Buffalo is even seriously considered, it would be such a travesty simply because the team has such great fan support, and that would really just be crapping all over the fans solely in the interest of the mighty buck.

228946[/snapback]

The day that Modell made the midnight move to Baltimore was the wake up call for me!

Long live Ralph!

We haven't had a "fear LA" post in a while. It was due. LA will probably get an expansion franchise. I have friends working toward that in LA now. The 3 possible franchises are the Colts, Vikings and Chargers. All teams with questionable stadium situations. McCombs is mainly making noise with the hopes that they build a new stadium in Minnesota. They are a long shot to move. The Cards are getting a stadium right now. My friend down there said the Colts are the most likely move, if they go the existing franchise route.

We'll be fine. Buffalo isn't in consideration.

The day that Modell made the midnight move to Baltimore was the wake up call for me!

Long live Ralph!

228949[/snapback]

Modell didn't make a midnight move, it was Robert Irsay who moved the Colts out of Baltimore to Indy with the Mayflower Moving Company.

The City of Cleveland screwed Modell and the Browns. The city had built a new area for the Cavs and a new Stadium for the Indians....meanhwhile the Browns were stuck in the old broken down sh*thole called Municipal Stadium.

The Cleveland city gov't screwed that whole situation up.

228885[/snapback]

The LA talk is designed to give leverage to teams trying to extort new stadium money from their cities.

The league and networks are better off not having a team in LA.

Without a home team, no games are ever blacked out and they can cheery pick which games to play.

there is no risk that the LA home team will ever stink, so they can aggressively market merchandise of the hot teams to the huge LA market.

The City of Cleveland screwed Modell and the Browns. The city had built a new area for the Cavs and a new Stadium for the Indians....meanhwhile the Browns were stuck in the old broken down sh*thole called Municipal Stadium.

While I agree that the city drug it's feet and put the Browns last in line, I wouldn't put the onus entirely on them. Modell is considered by many NFL people to be a money whore who is more interested in teh bottom line than the game, and I have my doubts whether Cleveland ever even had a chance to keep the Browns as long as that turd was the owner.

Cya

We haven't had a "fear LA" post in a while. It was due.  LA will probably get an expansion franchise. I have friends working toward that in LA now.  The 3 possible franchises are the Colts, Vikings and Chargers. All teams with questionable stadium situations. McCombs is mainly making noise with the hopes that they build a new stadium in Minnesota. They are a long shot to move. The Cards are getting a stadium right now. My friend down there said the Colts are the most likely move, if they go the existing franchise route.

We'll be fine. Buffalo isn't in consideration.

228958[/snapback]

Hmm,I could have sworn the Colts just got a new stadium agreement in place. Red McCombs, the Vikes owner, wants to sell that team badly. I think he would prefer to sell to local owners, but he is a businessman first, and will likely sell to the highest bidder. He would have moved the team to San Antonio, if the leauge would have approved it.

I always assumed that the Chargers or Cardnals would be the next NFL to move. Both have less than stellar support in their leaner years (for the Cards tha is every year!). Perhaps this years unexpected playoff run spiked intrerest in the Chargers....

I think it's NewenGland, the NJ JESTS, and Seattle.

Everyone knows Boston's fans are a bunch of dirtbags and will not support that team once it starts losing again - and folks, it's inevitable.

The JESTS are the only NFL franchise that doesn't have their own stadium. They are looking to build one in Manhattan but MSG/Cablevision offered to pay $600 million for the proposed site and develop apartments there. The JESTS offer was about $125 million. They could make the move to LA and the Jints would be happy. The NY media would be too. One more storied franchise lost to California - LA Dodgers, SF Giants, LA JESTS. It fits.

Seattle doesn't deserve an NFL team. They're just too close to a rain forest. Rain forest? What's up with THAT? There are no rain forests in the NFL! :D

I think it's NewenGland, the NJ JESTS, and Seattle.

Everyone knows Boston's fans are a bunch of dirtbags and will not support that team once it starts losing again - and folks, it's inevitable.

The JESTS are the only NFL franchise that doesn't have their own stadium. They are looking to build one in Manhattan but MSG/Cablevision offered to pay $600 million for the proposed site and develop apartments there. The JESTS offer was about $125 million. They could make the move to LA and the Jints would be happy. The NY media would be too. One more storied franchise lost to California - LA Dodgers, SF Giants, LA JESTS. It fits.

Seattle doesn't deserve an NFL team. They're just too close to a rain forest. Rain forest? What's up with THAT? There are no rain forests in the NFL!  :D

229071[/snapback]

Arizona, Indianapolis and San Diego all have stadium deals, I am pretty certain. Here's an article on the Colts deal: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazett...ts/10459322.htm

This article mentions Arizona's new stadium: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=35933

Don't know what the third team would be but I guess we would be talking about Minnesota, New Orleans. In reality, the NFL should be thinking of moving Jax. Their fan support really sucks.

Arizona, Indianapolis and San Diego all have stadium deals, I am pretty certain. Here's an article on the Colts deal: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazett...ts/10459322.htm

This article mentions Arizona's new stadium: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=35933

Don't know what the third team would be but I guess we would be talking about Minnesota, New Orleans. In reality, the NFL should be thinking of moving Jax. Their fan support really sucks.

229096[/snapback]

I think you're right, I remember hearing that Indy and Arizona are probably getting new stadium deals, so a move by them is less likely. I dont know about San Diego, though.

I had thought Minnesota was in the same situation, but I did just hear about a possibility that Emmett Smith was thinking of joining an Arizona group looking to make a bid for the Vikes. I guess I could see that group buying the Vikes and moving them to nearby L.A. Losing the NFL in Minnesota would really suck, though.

I forgot about New Orleans, and I could really see that as a possibility as well.

Unforunately, I do still see Buffalo as the possible third team with Minnesota and New Orleans, particularly given the lease situation.

The only reason behind the NFL"s push to move a franchise into LA is because it's such a huge TB market. Sorry, I meant TV.

The League wants all large markets to be covered to maximize revenues.

They want teams in New Orleans, Dieami, and Atlanta.

The losing moving franchise would almost have to come from up north.

I say it's the JESTS if their current attempt to build a stadium fails.

They would be a very attractive franchise to move and like I said earlier, there's some history of NYC teams jilting the Big Apple for the greener pastures of sunny California. Woody Johnson - their new owner has more money than God aka Golisano (he's a main inheritor of the Johnson & Johnson Pharmaceutical Company family fortune). He might not care about moving, and he could probably play more golf there too.