This is who Chicago passed on for Trestman

Mr. WEO

These are those type of decisions that the Bills have made in the past. They set your franchise back and hurt future hiring. I just hope the Bills don't fall into this abyss again.

Whaley needs to find some diamonds in this years draft and have a great FA this year for the Bills to make that push to the playoffs.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I don't follow the Bears too closely, but does anyone else think Trestman is getting a raw deal here? He did make Josh McCown look like a star in that offense last year. Cutler seems to have a lone wolf kind of mentality and I don't think Trestman was able to get him to buy in to his system. If I'm not mistaken, even Brandon Marshall was taking veiled shots at Cutler near the end of the season.

I don't follow the Bears too closely, but does anyone else think Trestman is getting a raw deal here? He did make Josh McCown look like a star in that offense last year. Cutler seems to have a lone wolf kind of mentality and I don't think Trestman was able to get him to buy in to his system. If I'm not mistaken, even Brandon Marshall was taking veiled shots at Cutler near the end of the season.

That was the whole reason he was brought to Chicago. He told Bears management he could fix Cutler and he failed, miserably.

He also lost control of his staff and his team rarely showed up in games this year. Once the Kromer comments came out and he didn't fire him that day, I knew Trestman was simply too nice to be a NFL coach.

Say what you want about Marrone, but I have no doubt he would fired Kromer for that

That was the whole reason he was brought to Chicago. He told Bears management he could fix Cutler and he failed, miserably.

He also lost control of his staff and his team rarely showed up in games this year. Once the Kromer comments came out and he didn't fire him that day, I knew Trestman was simply too nice to be a NFL coach.

Say what you want about Marrone, but I have no doubt he would fired Kromer for that

You can win being nice. Marv was, by all accounts, a nice guy.

They had way too many injuries on the defensive side of the ball during his time there. And he probably should have hired a better D coordinator.

As for Marrone, what makes you so sure of that?

No raw deal. Trestman lost control of the team and it was a soap opera on par with the Jets circus. Public undercuts and backstabbing by players and (most recently) the OC Kromer. Zero discipline and accountability. A loose ship that demotivated everyone. Mel Tucker was possibly the worst DC in Bears history.

Edited by jethro_tull

Trestman was well regarded last year at this time. Marinelli would have had problems with their defensive injuries just like any coach.

Trestman wasn't highly regarded by the guy on their coaching staf who the Bears asked to interview all 3. Arians was at the top of most lists.

And people have to stop with the McKown looked good for 5 games stuff. Trestman, an offensive "guru" was gifted a far better QB in Cutler, as well as a great corps or recivers and a solid RB. And he utterly and completely failed to COACH that team. He is good enough for the CFL and that's it.

He wasn't "shafted". He was given a once in a lifetime gift and he blew it and that team tossed away the opportunity ot have Arians and Marinelli.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The best part is that they lost Marinelli also, who quit in pure disgust at Chicago's choice.

http://deadspin.com/...tman-1676354356

Would you put much stock in the advice of the only head coach in NFL history who managed to go 0-16 when it comes to selecting a new head coach?

Arians is the better head coach, but I'd also factor in the fact that Marinelli went 0-16.

Edited by dave mcbride

Would you put much stock in the advice of the only head coach in NFL history who managed to go 0-16?

WHy not? He was the one they kept on after Smith was gone. They asked him. He ranked them as he did. He was right and he knew it. He left to take a position coach job at Dallas over it.

If YOU were asked back then who you would take or how you would rank those 3?

See? Not too hard was it?

WHy not? He was the one they kept on after Smith was gone. They asked him. He ranked them as he did. He was right and he knew it. He left to take a position coach job at Dallas over it.

If YOU were asked back then who you would take or how you would rank those 3?

See? Not too hard was it?

I edited my post above. Arians was the better choice in retrospect, but hindsight is 20/20. Trestman had success in the CFL against teams more or less equivalent to his own, and he was a very good NFL offensive coach. So there was reason for hope.

Still, even when you look at the 2013 numbers when they went 8-8, it's bad. They didn't hold one freaking opponent all season to under 20 points: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2013.htm.

These are those type of decisions that the Bills have made in the past. They set your franchise back and hurt future hiring. I just hope the Bills don't fall into this abyss again.

Whaley needs to find some diamonds in this years draft and have a great FA this year for the Bills to make that push to the playoffs.

Like WHen the Bills hired Jauron and passed on Sherman, Lewis. F*** :censored:

I edited my post above. Arians was the better choice in retrospect, but hindsight is 20/20. Trestman had success in the CFL against teams more or less equivalent to his own, and he was a very good NFL offensive coach. So there was reason for hope.

Still, even when you look at the 2013 numbers when they went 8-8, it's bad. They didn't hold one freaking opponent all season to under 20 points: http://www.pro-footb...s/chi/2013.htm.

It's not hindsight. That's the point of this thread and this article. Better options were known and available at that time. "Hope" for Trestman was not necessary.

It's not hindsight. That's the point of this thread and this article. Better options were known and available at that time. "Hope" for Trestman was not necessary.

It is hindsight. They didn't know who would perform better at the time, although Marinelli had his own opinion. Based on their histories, Trestman was a more successful coordinator than Arians -- http://en.wikipedia..../Marc_Trestman. I'm not saying Arians wasn't an excellent coordinator himself; just that Trestman had very high levels of success in multiple places.

The only thing I'm really trying to say is that Deadspin should probably have mentioned that the guy with the opinion about head coaching ability is also the only guy in NFL history to go 0-16 as a head coach himself.

Fwiw, I'd love for the Bills to hire Trestman as OC.

Edited by dave mcbride

It is hindsight. They didn't know who would perform better at the time, although Marinelli had his own opinion. Based on their histories, Trestman was a more successful coordinator than Arians -- http://en.wikipedia..../Marc_Trestman. I'm not saying Arians wasn't an excellent coordinator himself; just that Trestman had very high levels of success in multiple places.

The only thing I'm really trying to say is that Deadspin should probably have mentioned that the guy with the opinion about head coaching ability is also the only guy in NFL history to go 0-16 as a head coach himself.

Fwiw, I'd love for the Bills to hire Trestman as OC.

They were hiring a HC, not an OC.

Arians was the interim HC for the Colts and led them to the playoffs...and he was then named COACH OF THE YEAR-the only interim HC to ever win!

It doesn't matter what Marinelli's record as HC was--mentioning (several times) doesn't make it any more relevant. He was asked who HIS and the Bear's HC should be and he picked correctly, not in hindsight. You're drowning on this weird point.

They were hiring a HC, not an OC.

Arians was the interim HC for the Colts and led them to the playoffs...and he was then named COACH OF THE YEAR-the only interim HC to ever win!

It doesn't matter what Marinelli's record as HC was--mentioning (several times) doesn't make it any more relevant. He was asked who HIS and the Bear's HC should be and he picked correctly, not in hindsight. You're drowning on this weird point.

I agree that Arians has turned out to be a better NFL head coach. What I'm saying is that Trestman had a lot of success in a variety of settings, and is clearly a smart football guy. I recall when he was hired that a lot of people said that "finally - this is a smart, proven guy who long ago proved he deserved a shot." Anyway, the path to decision wasn't as simple as "Do what Rod Marinelli thinks." I'm sure -- in fact I know -- that Marinelli has s been wrong many times in his life and in his predictions. He's obviously had his share of failures as well. Other people in the Bears organization had opinions too, and while they were pros just like Marinelli, they proved to be wrong. I just don't see why Rod Marinelli's opinion should count for more than than all of the others, which is what this article seems to be implying.

PS - here's what I mean by hindsight, and I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. It's not hindsight by Marinelli; it's hindsight by Deadspin (and the same damn writer!), who a year ago was all but calling Trestman brilliant and a QB whisperer. http://deadspin.com/do-the-bears-need-jay-cutler-1480260848.

And the 91 year old owner is "pissed off"!

Imagine a nonagenarian owner being pissed off about their football team's performance and FO choices? What must that be like?

Ha, I see what you did there.