Rumor: Pegula met Cowher for dinner

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to God this "rumor" is true. Pegula should spare no expense to bring in a real, qualified HC like Cowher.

Not sure I agree. How eager is a guy making millions for a few hours a week on TV to return to the grind of an NFL schedule? Plus, Cowher's offenses would be considered stone-age by today's standards. I'll pass as a head coach, sign on for as a consultant.

I don't think Cowher is going anywhere. An NFL analyst job on a major network is a fantastic job. The networks have figured out a way to pay these personalities so well that the thought of going back to the grind of coaching becomes less and less enticing.

While I dont see any of those guys going into coaching... or maybe even straight up GM. But a high paid President position where they merely set the chess pieces, golf a lot, and sit in the owner's box is a good gig and also scratches the competitive itch

Just remember...Cowher would want a lot of control, which means Whaley goes, too.

I doubt it. Cowher has been pumping Whaley's tires for years now and the rumor goes that he personally recommended him for the assistant GM position here in Buffalo. Remember, they're tight from their Pittsburgh days and I fully believe any interest Cowher has in the Bills is because of the Whaley connection.

While I dont see any of those guys going into coaching... or maybe even straight up GM. But a high paid President position where they merely set the chess pieces, golf a lot, and sit in the owner's box is a good gig and also scratches the competitive itch

Exactly what I was thinking, like the gig Holmgren got with the Browns a few years back. Kind of like a president/GM/Football Czar kind of thing. Of course, we all hope it would work out better than Holmgren did with the Browns.

I doubt it. Cowher has been pumping Whaley's tires for years now and the rumor goes that he personally recommended him for the assistant GM position here in Buffalo. Remember, they're tight from their Pittsburgh days and I fully believe any interest Cowher has in the Bills is because of the Whaley connection.

interesting... Were Pegula and Cowher already friends?

interesting... Were Pegula and Cowher already friends?

I'm not sure about that but when the Bills first were looking for a head coach, they sniffed around Cowher and he's the one who recommended to Nix hiring both Whaley and Chan Gailey. There may have been a connection between Buddy and Bill.

I'm guessing if this lunch happened, it was probably set up by Whaley.

I wonder how many other "rumors" we will hear this offseason

CBF

I know what you mean but I'll probably pay extra attention to rumors this year because I think it's possible Pegula does something creative. Don't get me wrong I think it's just as possible he does little to shake things up at least this off season.

I hear what you're saying and I think you could get a talented guy like Polian to take a job like that. The analyst job Cowher has and certainly a job like Gruden's I don't believe would be enough to draw them away. Those jobs are obviously rare and pay very well.

I'll have to disagree with you on the President of an NFL team being a "cushy" job. I bet they work their a$$ off. I'm sure there's some incredible perks but I doubt it's just moving chess pieces around then sitting around.

yeah, I downplayed the demands quite a bit...

But it is/would be a far cry from coaching where they live in the team offices, or GMs, scouts, etc. I cant see a Cowher, Dungy, or Gruden going into anything like that ever again.

I could see those guys being content/happy where they are. Gruden seems giddy at where he is. Who knows though? There has to be a competitive itch there and some sort of urge to create "legacy". While Gruden could become a legendary broadcaster, Cowher is basically just running down the clock in the CBS studio.

But a high paid President position where they merely set the chess pieces, golf a lot, and sit in the owner's box is a good gig and also scratches the competitive itch

Beats having to listen to Russ Brandon on Wednesday mornings use the word "obviously" too much and hear about how he "empowers" people to do their jobs in the football department.

:lol: