Article: Why OL is bigger issue than Hackett/QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost in all of this is the exceedingly MEDIOCRE results Gailey produced. And that was my whole point. We've coronated the guy retroactively. If I were to search through the archives to find your 2012 opinion on Gailey's scheme, how approving would it be?

Bills fans just want to fire the playcaller, and since 2006, they've gotten their wish, what? Five times? Then what happens? The same rag tag results with the same RAG TAG talent.

I said at the time that his offensive mind would be missed and that it was too bad that he couldn't be retained as OC.

Hated his hiring because he had already proven that he couldn't be a head coach but there was a time, with the Steelers, when Gailey was the best assistant coach on either side of the ball in the entire NFL. The man can coach offensive football.

This years offensive talent was better than anything Gailey had to work with, by a fair amount. Very good talent? No. But Gailey could have coaxed a top 15 offense out of this group....no doubt. And he would have put have put together two effective offensive gameplans against New England, you can count on that. He always did.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Relative to whose time on a message board?

Relative to life in general. Zero accomplished. I know that I've wasted too many minutes of my life replying to your posts regarding whether or not Hackett should be retained or fired. It's the same trash back and forth. Then when I read through every other thread regarding the same subject, you state the same thing, over and over.....and over and over to all the other 100 board members that feel the same way as I do. That Hackett should go. He's shown nothing. Except that he can lead the best defense in football to a vacation for New Years.

Relative to life in general. Zero accomplished. I know that I've wasted too many minutes of my life replying to your posts regarding whether or not Hackett should be retained or fired. It's the same trash back and forth. Then when I read through every other thread regarding the same subject, you state the same thing, over and over.....and over and over to all the other 100 board members that feel the same way as I do. That Hackett should go. He's shown nothing. Except that he can lead the best defense in football to a vacation for New Years.

Big Cat is PTR on HGH. His opinions do not evolve, they simply get louder. Everything is either black or white, and if you don't agree with him, it's because you're an idiot and are rooting for the team to fail. He once retired from the board "for good," but much like Kyle Orton, that retirement was a myth. Much like Orton, BC's Act II leaves a lot to be desired...

The Bills are averaging over 5 yds per carry when running out of formations that have 3 wr's or more. Is it ineptitude to not play to that strength more? Is it stubborness that 3 wides is not their "identity". Worst of all, do they not even know that statistic?

Why isn't Marrone held accountable more just for his decisions on the offensive line? They were terrible. Glenn was out all preseason and he played Henderson there. Pretty much exclusively. Henderson looked very good at times, but he is still a rookie. Glenn comes back and Marrone plays Henderson at RT where he never practiced, and then moved Pears to OG where he never played and where his size and athletic ability do not translate. It's a disaster. Henderson is not nearly ready. He is a rookie seventh round pick after all, and yes he has first round talent but he clearly wasn't ready. Pears was a disaster the entire year. Richardson, by Marrone's own admission, had to completely relearn the techniques necessary to play in the NFL, AND was known as a run mauler to begin with.

We would have been way, way better off if Marrone just played the guys at their positions. Pears at RT (who is adequate at best but far better than Henderson played. Urbik next to Pears. Henderson and Hairston on the bench. Maybe ask for a veteran OG replacement off the street when Williams went down. Or put Hairston in, under emergency, even if it meant moving Glenn for a couple games.

The Pears idea was ALL Marrone and it was disastrous. the Henderson idea, compounded by next to Pears, was disastrous and that was all Marrone. Hairston was the one guy who didn't play and years past, when you thought he was not going to be a player, when he was actually put in games he did decently, and even good sometimes.

I hope Marrone stops being BFF with Pears. It seriously seemed like he could be a meany to his best friend. Please let Pears walk. Richardson never even got a chance to play on the right side which is what he did in college.

The OC needs a change. The offensive system hasn't worked for 2 seasons. The talent on the offense also needs to be addressed. Guard and Tight End seem to be weak points outside of QB. I would also throw WR as a secondary need (Hard to say if Woods is a number 2 WR or not). QB is of course the primary need on offense but its not like there weren't other issues with the offensive talent on the team. But the play calling and coaching on the offense hasn't helped the talent too much.