Orton to start vs Pats*

TheFunPolice

Right. You'd prefer we had a coach who didn't want to win on Sunday.

Whats the point of winning Sunday? What benefit does it serve starting Orton in this game instead of EJ? Wouldn't it make more sense to give EJ the start in a meaningless game?

But I guess it's more important to try and win a meaningless game with a veteran QB who may not even be on the team next year instead of playing EJ to see what riding the bench and watching has done for him. Yeah that makes perfect sense...some people get it and some don't.

Edited by Max997

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats the point of winning Sunday? What benefit does it serve starting Orton in this game instead of EJ? Wouldn't it make more sense to give EJ the start in a meaningless game?

But I guess it's more important to try and win a meaningless game with a veteran QB who may not even be on the team next year instead of playing EJ to see what riding the bench and watching has done for him. Yeah that makes perfect sense...some people get it and some don't.

I get to watch the Bills play 16 times a year. If they beat the Pats on Sunday, I would be happy, indeed. If I watched them wander out on the field, pretending it is a preseason game, and not try to win, I would consider that to be a gutless, cowardly move.

Of course, that is a moot point, since they won't do that. They will show up, play hard, and try to win-- regardless of the wishes of some fans who "get" something that I don't.

I get to watch the Bills play 16 times a year. If they beat the Pats on Sunday, I would be happy, indeed. If I watched them wander out on the field, pretending it is a preseason game, and not try to win, I would consider that to be a gutless, cowardly move.

Of course, that is a moot point, since they won't do that. They will show up, play hard, and try to win-- regardless of the wishes of some fans who "get" something that I don't.

Way to miss the point completely

I guess they wouldn't show up, play hard and try to win if EJ started...what an absolutely ridiculous comment

Edited by Max997

No.

What difference would one game make for EJ's evaluation? Especially a game that could get ugly and have the team around him quit. The answer? Zero.

No.

What difference would one game make for EJ's evaluation? Especially a game that could get ugly and have the team around him quit. The answer? Zero.

Every game a young QB can play matters...it's called getting experience.

As did you.

And what exactly did I miss, please explain but I doubt you will since you avoided every other question I asked.

Every game a young QB can play matters...it's called getting experience.

That's not what you argued.

"instead of playing EJ to see what riding the bench and watching has done for him."

That's evaluation.

Even if you are now changing your argument to him getting experience, the negatives are still there. I'm more worried about getting him irreparably broken than I am getting him experience.

What do the Pegulas owe Manuel or Orton?

Not a thing. The organization does not need to keep either guy to "save face". Even morso if Marrone & Co. get cut and they bring in a football consultant.

Different owner. Different time by default.

Wouldnt surprise me to see both guys on other teams in 2015.

And what exactly did I miss, please explain but I doubt you will since you avoided every other question I asked.

You're right. I'm not going to bother explaining anything to you. I haven't avoided any questions, and there aren't any points that you have made that I don't understand. I just completely disagree with you.

Feel free to take the last word.

I think Marrone has every right to play whoever he wants and to care more about this game than working on what's best for next year. Unfortunately for him Whaley and the rest of the Bills management has every right to not be happy about that. Not that one game of Seeing EJ for one game would prove much but it could show something.

You're probably the same dude who called Darues or Gilmore busts after year 2.

Calling any player a bust after 2 years, much less a qb, is straight up dumb. But if EJ does become a bust, you will win an award for calling it first. You should be proud!

According to nflcommunications.com the average NFL career is 3.5 years. How long are coaches supposed to wait to see if a player has got "it" or not? After 2 years i'm pretty confident coaches and GMs have a player all figured out unlike want to be armchair GMs.

According to nflcommunications.com the average NFL career is 3.5 years. How long are coaches supposed to wait to see if a player has got "it" or not? After 2 years i'm pretty confident coaches and GMs have a player all figured out unlike want to be armchair GMs.

You're right, no player has ever achieved after 2 years of showing nothing.

Signed,

Aaron Rodgers

Jerry Hughes

Alex Smith

To name a few off the top of my head

Right. You'd prefer we had a coach who didn't want to win on Sunday.

Personally I'd prefer a coach, and organization, that looks further ahead than one meaningless game. There is no benefit to starting Orton other than the very small chance of winning said meaningless game. Orton is well known, and does not need the additional experience. Manuel absolutely needs live reps. Unless, of course, the evaluation of Manuel has already been made by the Bills and they have no intention of him being the starting QB next season either.

You're right, no player has ever achieved after 2 years of showing nothing.

Signed,

Aaron Rodgers

Jerry Hughes

Alex Smith

To name a few off the top of my head

Yep, you are right. You are smarter than NFL coaches and GMs. My bad for thinking other wise. :doh: Which team do you work for by the way?

Personally I'd prefer a coach, and organization, that looks further ahead than one meaningless game. There is no benefit to starting Orton other than the very small chance of winning said meaningless game. Orton is well known, and does not need the additional experience. Manuel absolutely needs live reps. Unless, of course, the evaluation of Manuel has already been made by the Bills and they have no intention of him being the starting QB next season either.

Its not about developing Orton but it is about continuing to develop Sammie,Woods,and Hogan. They have all progressed very well this season and considering that Orton is still under contract and could very well be the starter next year as well why wouldn't you continue building on what they have started

Its not about developing Orton but it is about continuing to develop Sammie,Woods,and Hogan. They have all progressed very well this season and considering that Orton is still under contract and could very well be the starter next year as well why wouldn't you continue building on what they have started

Well as I said, if the Bills have decided that Manuel will most likely not be the starter next year either then yes, they should start Orton.

I suspect that if one reads between the lines of Marrone's recent presser, that he has, indeed, given up on EJ. But, that really isn't my argument.

Frankly, I don't see much benefit in starting EJ in a game against a superior division rival, with a team that would likely be rather deflated by the decision from their coach that the game isn't worthy of trying to win, or worthy of starting the QB that he believes gives them the best chance to win. I think the possible downsides for EJ's development (or evaluation, for that matter), could outweigh the upsides. But that really isn't my argument, either.

I am much less interested in developing EJ than I am in developing this team. I'm interested in developing a winning culture. This is a "meaningless" game for the Pats, also. Is there any doubt that Brady will be starting? Is there any doubt that all of their starters will be on the field? That's what winning teams do. And, I'd be much happier, as a fan, if we finish 9-7, rather than 8-8. In fact, I'll be much happier, as a fan, at 8-8, knowing that we tried to win every game. Throwing in the towel (against the Pats, no less!!!) should never be an option. Regardless of how we finish, this is not the preseason. There are no meaningless games.

Go Bills! (IMHO)