"Cr*p rolls downhill..."

Why dont we just leave Cordy where he is at......and go out and pick up the best free agent guard on the market? Like the one from the niners or the one denver?

Leave Seantrel where he is at (he will probably be even better next year) and draft a RG (or even roll with Urbik at that spot which he has shown he is good.

I dont want to depend on a 2nd round pick who was not good enough to dress on game day as a back up. I hope and pray that next year he lights it up and even puts Urbik on the bench at RG....I just dont want to count on it.

I fully agree that I'd rather leave Cordy and Henderson where they are and not count on Kouandjio; I was merely pointing out the only exception to that philosophy.

As for Iupati, I'm not going to spend the $9M/year it takes to get him--that's way too much for a position in which the difference between outstanding play and good play is not significant (at least not from what I've seen). As many on this board can tell you, I'd rather spend $4M/year (Geoff Schwartz money) on Clint Boling from Cincinnati.

Got that right.

Speaking of dominant, seems every time I watch a Dallas offensive series, and I don't that often, their OL NEVER gets pushed back and Murray is NEVER touched until he's five yards past the LOS. I enjoy watching them work.

GO BILLS!!!

Dallas' OL is quite good...the thing that strikes me about the OL they've put together is that each player is a great match for the system they want to run. That's not an easy feat to accomplish, which is why I think most teams go for "good enough"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, you made my point clearer than I did. The 3 best OL -Glenn, Wood & Urbik are NOT from this coaching staff. Their skill sets are unlike every OL Marrone & Co have acquired. Thus, we have players with very different skills trying to acclimate into a new philosophy with players of other skill sets. The key point in my post is that the better OL's can be found on established and tenured coaching staffs, as they've had the time to get exactly what they want on the front line. Marrone's longevity has been questioned all season and NOBODY I've heard is high on keeping Hackett. So the wheel of misfit, 'poor' OL play will likely continue.

I am for keeping Marrone and have been for a while. The problem I have with Hackett is even though our D is something special we simply do not put up enough points to have a chance to take that next step yet. Hackett seems like he is playing checkers when the Offense of the other team is playing chess. I recognize that we dont have good enough O players in certain spots.....but parity doesnt just ride with the bills and other OC's in the league dont seem to have a problem covering up their weaknesses and scoring points.....this offense is BAD

I fully agree that I'd rather leave Cordy and Henderson where they are and not count on Kouandjio; I was merely pointing out the only exception to that philosophy.

As for Iupati, I'm not going to spend the $9M/year it takes to get him--that's way too much for a position in which the difference between outstanding play and good play is not significant (at least not from what I've seen). As many on this board can tell you, I'd rather spend $4M/year (Geoff Schwartz money) on Clint Boling from Cincinnati.

Dallas' OL is quite good...the thing that strikes me about the OL they've put together is that each player is a great match for the system they want to run. That's not an easy feat to accomplish, which is why I think most teams go for "good enough"

I was just using Lupiti as an example......I dont want to do what the Titans did and be upset all over again....how about finding two Boling type players and get 2 guards? WOULD LOVE to fortify this OL in free agency so we could pick up a TE with that 2nd round pick.

Defenses - and DLines have a history of being lauded and praised through their use of a nickname.

The Fearless Foursome

The Doomsday Defense

The Steel Curtain

The Orange Crush

The Monsters of the Midway

The Killer Bs

The Purple People Eaters

The New York Sack Exchange

The No Name Defense

Then you've got famous OLines: The Hogs and...

What other OLine has a nickname?

The GD Electric Company.

I don't GD forget it!

I was just using Lupiti as an example......I dont want to do what the Titans did and be upset all over again....how about finding two Boling type players and get 2 guards? WOULD LOVE to fortify this OL in free agency so we could pick up a TE with that 2nd round pick.

I'm not sure the stock is there for 2 OGs to be had in FA. Team is probably better off getting Boling and then spending another mid-round pick on a guy that can compete with Urbik/Williams/Richardson.

Regarding Chris WIlliams.

When healthy he WAS the best OG we had.....and he is under contract.

Maybe we really only need one free agent guard to make this work.

I still want a OL coach in the NFL that is NOT Doug Marrone

Aaron Kromer will probably be available, and he and Marrone go back to their days in NO...

Aaron Kromer will probably be available, and he and Marrone go back to their days in NO...

No thanks. I honestly don't know how he can look any of his players in the face at this point. He lost his lockerroom cred.

Which probably means Marrone will hire him as soon as the season ends.

GO BILLS!!!

^dig it!^

But back on topic, a strong interior oline, would do wonders for this offense. Would improve QB play greatly, hopefully lessoning the need to bring in one of the bum QB FA's that will be available.

Would do wonders for Spiller on those up the gut runs. Turning them from a one yrd gain where spiller gets buried under 3 d linemen and 2 linebackers. To a 4-5 yrd gain and hes being hit by a saftey and CB insted.

Maybe even break a few from up the middle

Edited by mastershake

On the occasion that you do see dominant the team usually goes pretty far though

Whos the best line in football right now? Cowboys?

After watching the Bills, the cowboy RBs have a ton of room

Cleveland was great too before losing their C, now they're not at all, crazy what a fine line it is, no pun

Edited by Just Nguyen

He is correct. offensive line does not get the accolades in victory and plenty of blame in defeat. It goes with the territory. It applies to QBs too. The concept of a team game is you win and lose as a team. It is the media and fans who heap both praise and blame unnecessarily. I have no problem with what he said. That being said...the line has struggled, at times, during the season as a unit. Once they get in sync, like any other Offensive line, they will do well.

My problem with Urbik's statement was this: "“We’ve felt we’ve been playing well for the most part all year." The guy is delusional. The OL has at its best moments been marginal, and in recent weeks it has been terrible.

Since he has been a starter the pass blocking has been passable.

We're still struggling with run blocking.

Urbik was not in the lineup all season, his first start was the firs Jests game, so "all year" for him may mean "all year (since I've been starting)

You guys are really sensitive about player cliche's.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Marrone's longevity has been questioned all season and NOBODY I've heard is high on keeping Hackett. So the wheel of misfit, 'poor' OL play will likely continue.

Well let me be the first.

Im totally fine with Hackett. I see what theyre trying to do.

Got that right.

Speaking of dominant, seems every time I watch a Dallas offensive series, and I don't that often, their OL NEVER gets pushed back and Murray is NEVER touched until he's five yards past the LOS. I enjoy watching them work.

GO BILLS!!!

I hate to see the Cowboys succeed, but they really have put together a good OL.

I always envy the way the Cowboys draft, develop, and use tight ends, too. Witten is great, but then they keep drafting guys pretty high (Escobar, etc). TEs can be a big part of a productive offense.

Brady's been sacked 16 times all season, 3 times in the last 7 games against the likes of Chicago, Denver, Indy, Detroit, GB, SD, and Miami. That's outstanding considering the injuries they've had, level of competition, and compared to the 13 sacks they yielded in the first 7 games of the season.

Well coached, savvy OL combined with a QB who knows when to get rid of it help. NE's guys have demonstrated improvement, while Buffalo's haven't. More importantly, when injuries struck, the Bills weren't well prepared to adapt.

http://espn.go.com/b...-offensive-line

Edited by BillsVet

Brady's been sacked 16 times all season, 3 times in the last 7 games against the likes of Chicago, Denver, Indy, Detroit, GB, SD, and Miami. That's outstanding considering the injuries they've had, level of competition, and compared to the 13 sacks they yielded in the first 7 games of the season.

Well coached, savvy OL combined with a QB who knows when to get rid of it help. NE's guys have demonstrated improvement, while Buffalo's haven't. More importantly, when injuries struck, the Bills weren't well prepared to adapt.

http://espn.go.com/b...-offensive-line

18 times according to NFL.com, and they've allowed 69 QB hits, which ranks 16th in the NFL. Buffalo, by contrast, has allowed 76.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT

Also, Buffalo's OL has made significant strides since Urbik came into the lineup. They began the season allowing 4 sacks total across their first 3 games. Then Chris Williams went down, and the Cyril Richardson debacle began; the team allowed 7 sacks against Minnesota en route to allowing 16 sacks over the 4-game stretch in which he started. By contrast, the team has allowed 16 sacks across the 7 games since Richardson was benched, including 3 games in which they allowed only 1 sack...one of those was against KC, who is tied for 6th in the NFL in sacks.

If you want to make the case that NE has a better (and better coached) OL, that's fine. Let's not go to extremes and say that Buffalo's hasn't improved over the course of the season when it clearly has.

No thanks. I honestly don't know how he can look any of his players in the face at this point. He lost his lockerroom cred.

Which probably means Marrone will hire him as soon as the season ends.

GO BILLS!!!

Others who will likely be available:

Tony Sparano (Raiders Interim Coach--coached OL in Dallas, NYJ, Oakland)

Jim Turner (Miami OL coach)

Mike Devlin (Jets OL coach)

Mike Tice (Falcons OL coach)