The Demise of the Running Quarterback?

IMO, if a staple of your team's running game is the zone read, the you're a running QB.

A staple of the Panthers anything is crap. Their OC, HC, and GM are turrrrrible.

All need to go. They need to get new blood and pump it in fast while they loaded with some good talent and can make a run.

However, it is Cam's inability to play a more developed offense that leads to much of the problems on offense. He is not able to make the progressive reads better QB's can and many blame it on the blocking, but it is not the blocking. He is a chuck it up kind of QB, not a make the read and thread the needle kind of QB. They need the right OC and QB coach to come in there and help him. Ken Dorsey did very well originally with him but Newton has regressed.

A staple of the Panthers anything is crap. Their OC, HC, and GM are turrrrrible.

All need to go. They need to get new blood and pump it in fast while they loaded with some good talent and can make a run.

However, it is Cam's inability to play a more developed offense that leads to much of the problems on offense. He is not able to make the progressive reads better QB's can and many blame it on the blocking, but it is not the blocking. He is a chuck it up kind of QB, not a make the read and thread the needle kind of QB. They need the right OC and QB coach to come in there and help him. Ken Dorsey did very well originally with him but Newton has regressed.

He does look bad this year. How much of that is due to regression vs. him being injured?

He does look bad this year. How much of that is due to regression vs. him being injured?

I get way too much Panther news here and I keep touch on the Panthers because they are here. The accounts of him being injured are fraud. He is banged up and getting hit a lot but that is because he runs it a lot more. Yes, he's got a foot ailment but it's not enough to hamper him, and rumors of his ribs or something are a bit exaggerated. If he was hurting that bad he would not be doing the things he does on the field.

What I have seen from him is a lack of awareness on the field to find his targets. He is missing LaFell who was as much a goat as he was a WR who got coverage away from Olsen. Without Smith and having to account for his physical toughness and speed teams can just go simple zone and pass Benjamin off. He is not breaking free like some thought he would, he's just not playing that fast. His route running and timing seem to be off, which isn't helping Newton. Overall, his support WR's and TE's are not much to cheer about but they're not much to cry about, either. And, when the WR's cried, like Avant - they were cut.

Newton is simply taking 5 step drops or 3 in the shot gun, looking up, having a hard time finding his windows to complete the passes he needs to complete. Reviews on the all-22 will show it, and I've seen quite a few where he is simply missing major windows to complete passes. Instead of keeping his eyes down field, some times knowing he will get hit, he seems to do what Peyton Manning does and move his feet. Except Manning keeps his eyes downfield and won't run. Newton looks down, loses his contact and looks up lost. Wait a second, then runs.

Time and time again, you'll see it. Move Cam Newton in the pocket from his original drop and you beat him. He breaks off looking down field, looks back up field, he pauses, then runs.

I hate how Cam Newton keeps getting grouped into this conversation.

The dudes best WR is a 6'5'' rookie who is just learning how to run an NFL route tree and Greg Olson at TE

The Panthers are hamstrung with a ridiculous portion of their cap tied to Deangelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart and Mike Tolbert none of whom are worthy of a starting RB job.

Cam has carried that team the last 3 seasons and now everything finally gave out from beneath him... The injuries to his foot and ribs all season havent helped him do it this year.... Give him some talent around him and hes one of the best in the NFL.

I agree with the Wallbanger here. Cam is a cut above, he just got picked by a crappy team.

If Luck had gone pro after his junior year and not been such a boyscout, Carolina would have Luck, and either us or Denver would have Cam.

I hate that Amish lookin Stanford putz.

I agree with the Wallbanger here. Cam is a cut above, he just got picked by a crappy team.

If Luck had gone pro after his junior year and not been such a boyscout, Carolina would have Luck, and either us or Denver would have Cam.

I hate that Amish lookin Stanford putz.

Itll be fun to watch Luck not win anything with Indy for various organizational issues just like Manning.

R. Wilson is not a running QB.

He is a very mobile QB who can buy time in or out of the pocket in order to keep plays alive and pass the football, which he does well while scrambling.

He is the Fran Tarkenton of today. A scrambling QB.

Of course he can gain yardage running when his receivers are covered, but running the football is otherwise not what he wants to do.

R. Wilson is not a running QB.

He is a very mobile QB who can buy time in or out of the pocket in order to keep plays alive and pass the football, which he does well while scrambling.

He is the Fran Tarkenton of today. A scrambling QB.

Of course he can gain yardage running when his receivers are covered, but running the football is otherwise not what he wants to do.

I agree as he is more like Aaron Rodgers than the other running QB's. He uses his head, extends plays, and keeps his eyes down field. I love that guy. He's also a class act, and we were morons for not picking him. You think about this defense with a Russel Wilson on offense throwing to Woods, and Watkins.

While this is true in the most literal sense, it is so misleading that I don't think it's going too far to call bull ****.

To say 2/3 had their franchise QB is just as misleading. There are maybe 10 true franchise QB's in the league, for round numbers we'll say 1/3, the next 1/3 that you claim have franchise QB's are the following group;

Three seasons ago when time to draft RW had the following for their starting QB

Jets Mark Sanchez

Houston Matt Schaub

Tampa Josh Freeman

I could go with more, my point is these were all teams who thought they had their guy, clearly if they had correctly valued RW they would have drafted him, but they didn't think much of RW and figured their current guy was just as good if not better. Very quickly they realized their error.

Even the 1/3 with true franchise QB's likely would have drafted him as a backup maybe in the second round if they did know how good RW turned out.

So yes the Bill's missed out as did practically every other team in the league if his true abilities were known. Just don't make it that the Bill's were one of only a handful of teams that screwed up her, the list is long. Teams abilities to value players star skills is more hit or miss and seems mostly miss.

While this is true in the most literal sense, it is so misleading that I don't think it's going too far to call bull ****.

Figure 2/3 of teams already had their franchise guy, 4 others (was it more?) took other QBs prior to. There weren't any teams with our QB situation who passed on Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. Bills **** the bed on that one. No excuse for it.

I agree as he is more like Aaron Rodgers than the other running QB's. He uses his head, extends plays, and keeps his eyes down field. I love that guy. He's also a class act, and we were morons for not picking him. You think about this defense with a Russel Wilson on offense throwing to Woods, and Watkins.

He has his detractors but IMO he's a fantastic football player and QB who I think will have a long and successful career.

Unlike other QB "phenoms" (RG3 for example, maybe Kap or possibly even Cam) given his extraordinary, rare and peculiar skill set I don't think he ever gets " figured out " and neutralized (or otherwise diminished).

So you wish we had drafted him? Well you will just have to console yourself with TJ Graham I guess, as doubtless you did when we drafted Whitner over Ngata, or Troup over Gronk.

To say 2/3 had their franchise QB is just as misleading. There are maybe 10 true franchise QB's in the league, for round numbers we'll say 1/3, the next 1/3 that you claim have franchise QB's are the following group;

Three seasons ago when time to draft RW had the following for their starting QB

Jets Mark Sanchez

Houston Matt Schaub

Tampa Josh Freeman

I could go with more, my point is these were all teams who thought they had their guy, clearly if they had correctly valued RW they would have drafted him, but they didn't think much of RW and figured their current guy was just as good if not better. Very quickly they realized their error.

Even the 1/3 with true franchise QB's likely would have drafted him as a backup maybe in the second round if they did know how good RW turned out.

So yes the Bill's missed out as did practically every other team in the league if his true abilities were known. Just don't make it that the Bill's were one of only a handful of teams that screwed up her, the list is long. Teams abilities to value players star skills is more hit or miss and seems mostly miss.

You can make excuses if it makes you feel better, but at that time all 3 teams you mentioned thought they had their franchise guy. The Bills did not. Shaub and Sanchise were both extended right around that time and Freeman was thought to be the steal of the 2009 draft.

Saying teams that thought they had their franchise QB passing on a guy = teams with a great big ? at QB passing on the same guy just doesn't compute.

Especially when half the teams didn't even have a chance to pass on him in the 3rd like the Bills did.

Edited by Rob's House

I must have missed the ascent of running QBs. They've never been good, never translated to the NFL.

Vick had a brief run as an effective QB, RG3 and Vince Young were both good for about 1/2 season, Tebow was horrible. And now the NFL has quickly caught up to Kap and his inaccurate throws.

Guys like Tarkington and Steve Young could run when necessary but more often used it to buy time in the pocket, which has always been a valuable skill. Wilson and Newton might be in this group too, too early to say for sure.