Hackett's lack of creativity

Hackett seems to be enamored with the back shoulder throws as we see this numerous times in every game. While I like the idea of the back shoulder throw, I feel Hackett uses it way too much as it's not as effective as it should be. To me, Hackett is not very creative as he doesn't use any reverses, trick plays, and having players high-point the ball. With Watkins being the most skilled player on offense, Hackett needs to do more to go him the ball, such as giving Watkins the ball on dump offs, screens, reverses, etc... While I liked the play where Gray caught his second pass which he took over 40 yards, Hackett should be more creative like that more often.

Hacketts Offense certainly lacks creativity , but I don't want to see reverses. When I see that, my first thought is the " well is dry". Those rarely fool anyone these days. What I want to see is creating mismatches through formations and scheming guys open by design with self scouting of tendencies. Watch NFL live from yesterday as Hoge breaks down Packers Pats film. He demonstrates how brilliant the Packs coaches were by using formations to take a Pats strength ( Ninkovich in the box) and make it a weakness by forcing him to cover Randall Cobb out of the backfield. They also nullified Pats typical Agap B gap pressure by sending RB on a wheel route and making Ninkovich cover instead of rush the passer. This is the kind of thing I'd like our OCto come up with. Not thinking you're going to beat the Pats by pulling out a reverse or flea flicker. We really need an OC with some vision. No reason at all why the Bills could not have run a similar scheme and forced the pats to cover a WR with an LB. that is great stuff. Our coaches on O are basic as it gets.

No reason at all why the Bills could not have run a similar scheme and forced the pats to cover a WR with an LB. that is great stuff.

There's clearly a reason. Mike McCarthy >>>>>>>>>>>> Hackett/Marrone in designing offensive plays.

I'd like to see even less creativity and have them go back to the "EJ Offense" where they ran it twice and passed on 3rd if needed. Too many times Sunday they gained 4-5 yards on a first down run, then passed twice, and punted.

Clearly this has been a major issue with the offense since last year, and the 71% of the runs right up the middle. This season its like Hackett completely abandons the run game to force the QB to shoulder the entire offense with 40+ passes to only 20 runs.

It really is a darn shame that Marrone didn't learn anything as an OC of the Saints under Sean Payton, and if he did he sure hasn't passed it down to his own OC. Perhaps he is so intent on helping his BFF the ST coach that he doesn't have time to help Hackett.

The Bills offense is still so bad even with a veteran QB to help. 67 QB hits puts the Bills at 11th, and among the worst in the NFL. #24 in total offense. #30 in scoring TD's in the red zone, with EJ or Orton. The Bills O line is still bad enough that the QB can't step up into the pocket to make the deeper throws on a consistent basis. Plus the Bills aren't even trying to run the ball enough to build a power running attack.

What a darn shame the Bills have Schwartz leading the #5 defense in the NFL, and a really crappy offense because of inept coaches.

hard to be inventive when your offensive interior lineman are horrible and on top of that can't move --- so remove any type of screen, bubble screen, your tight ends yards after catch total for the year is 12, your starting rb is out, your second stringer is playing injured as well as your wide outs. Your playing an opponent who in recent history has held Brees, Rothlisberger, Dalton, Ryan and Flacco to a combined 54% completion percentage and 208 yard average.

Your comparing a OC with Rodgers and Hackett with Orton ?

they have won two in a row, they have established some sort of running game still weak but better, they pulled a guy off waivers who steps in and makes two big runs after the catch that the other three TE's haven't done ...well...ever. They are 7-5 with 4 to go-

Tom Osborne "When you have a good offensive line everything you call works"

Hacketts Offense certainly lacks creativity , but I don't want to see reverses. When I see that, my first thought is the " well is dry". Those rarely fool anyone these days. What I want to see is creating mismatches through formations and scheming guys open by design with self scouting of tendencies. Watch NFL live from yesterday as Hoge breaks down Packers Pats film. He demonstrates how brilliant the Packs coaches were by using formations to take a Pats strength ( Ninkovich in the box) and make it a weakness by forcing him to cover Randall Cobb out of the backfield. They also nullified Pats typical Agap B gap pressure by sending RB on a wheel route and making Ninkovich cover instead of rush the passer. This is the kind of thing I'd like our OCto come up with. Not thinking you're going to beat the Pats by pulling out a reverse or flea flicker. We really need an OC with some vision. No reason at all why the Bills could not have run a similar scheme and forced the pats to cover a WR with an LB. that is great stuff. Our coaches on O are basic as it gets.

good notes for week 17 ?

Though Peyton Manning gets the lions share of adoration, more and more credit for Denvers offensive success is going to coordinator Adam Gase and rightfully so. Besides a prosperous recommitment to the running game over the past two weeks, Gase is one of the leagues best passing game designers and play-callers. Most overlooked is his ability to handle what coaches often refer to as receiver distribution and location. In other words, which receivers are lining up where.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/nfl-cleveland-browns-brian-hoyer-johnny-manziel-mike-pettine/

Edited by papazoid

Though Peyton Manning gets the lions share of adoration, more and more credit for Denvers offensive success is going to coordinator Adam Gase and rightfully so. Besides a prosperous recommitment to the running game over the past two weeks, Gase is one of the leagues best passing game designers and play-callers. Most overlooked is his ability to handle what coaches often refer to as receiver distribution and location. In other words, which receivers are lining up where.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/03/nfl-cleveland-browns-brian-hoyer-johnny-manziel-mike-pettine/

We all know where our WRs are lining up.