The best defense in franchise history?

finn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I think you're wrong. They've only gone up against two really good QBs and they didn't look good either time. Both at home.

Having said that, three of their next four are against elite QBs. We'll see how they do.

The next 3 games will tell the tale of the entire team this season . Brady has already done what he does every year but i'm hoping we can get a split with them . Hopefully they learned something from the first game & Brady has made other really good teams look mediocre at best .

Any way you look at it the offense is our down fall , Not the talent on that side of the ball but the experience at the OC position , he doesn't know how to one call a good game & two make real adjustments at half time ..

I've closely followed the Bills since 1966 and I think this defense is one of the best in team history.

Better than the year when Bryce Paup was the NFL Defensive MVP? Are you sure?

Never mind the players, if that defense had Pettine or Schwartz we may have won three.

Good point!

The 64 and 65 Bills defenses were semi pro AFL teams..

Hate to say that but they don't stack up against modern day NFL defenses.

That's why comparing teams across eras is always an exercise in futility.

But the question pertained to "franchise history" and given that qualifier, we've never had a defense as good as those defenses. It's really not close, actually.

I thought the concept of the AFL being a semi-pro league was tossed out a long time ago. Every starter on that defense would have made any NFL team and many would have excelled as well. Hell, Ron McDole starred for the Redskins several years AFTER his best seasons in Buffalo.

Anyway, it's all an exercise in opinion. And there's simply no changing mine when it comes to those defenses.

GO BILLS!!!

Look guys I attened all the games in 1964 and 65. You can't compare AFL and NFL defenses. The Bills had a great team but NOTHING copared to modern day NFL. The Players today and bigger ,stronger and faster.....

Edited by HOUSE

I am of the opinion that the only way to even have this discussion is by comparing how dominant they were in their own era. As to fact the players are bigger, faster etc today, give the players of another era modern training, nutrition, development etc and they would benefit -no? Otherwise we end up with each years defense being the best ever.haha

Edited by 75Bills

The question was

The best defense in franchise history?

No, this is probably the best now........

That's why I'm having trouble with your reasoning. Of course the players of yesterday can't compete with the athletic prowess of today's players. That goes without saying. There's simply no comparison in terms of training, nutrition, sports science, sports medicine, etc. Again, comparing players across eras is always a mistake.

But in the sense of "franchise history" what defense was better? In terms of statistical ranking, contribution to wins, consistent dominance of opponents, etc.? I really don't think it's close.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh and if anyone wonders what the best offense in franchise history was...it was the 75Bills.

Hmm. As much as I loved that offense, I'd have to go with the offense we had during TT's four consecutive years leading the league in yards from scrimmage. We were a juggernaut.

GO BILLS!!!

You can't judge a defense independently of the offense. Our offense this year puts a tremendous amount of pressure on our D to perform almost flawlessly. We need turnovers to help us win. Those Superbowl teams often staked our D to 3 score leads at halftime and forced opponents to become one dimensional.

This may sound crazy, but I'm not completely sold on our D this year. Our ferocious pass rush is certainly a nightmare match up for inexperienced and sub-par QB's -- Geno Smith, Vick, Bridgewater, Hoyer, etc, but looking at the schedule we haven't played a top-10 QB since Brady in Week 6 (no, I don't consider Tannehill or Alex Smith top-10). That last match up with NE was brutal -- they scored every time they had the ball in the 2nd half on long drives (3 of 80+ yds) and we looked helpless to stop them.

This is going to be a fascinating and (hopefully) exciting month of football, because we are going to find our if our D can stand up to the truly elite QBs.