There has not been a QB worth signing/drafting since 2013

Mariota and Winston are both hardly locks to become successful w/o years of experience. The more I read this thread - the more it become apparent that maybe the FO actually knew what they were doing. There are very few options for the next sure fire QB - either through the draft or through FA - in fact one could say you would be silly to keep dreaming about the next Luck - it ain't gonna happen.

Therefore the path to he playoffs is going to be an actual doable solution - strong D, strong running game, and a great receiving corp that will compliment what in all scenarios is going be a medium level QB - pretty much the path we are on.

great post, couldnt agree more

build the team, build the team the right way, build the team that a COMPETENT QB can step into and guide to the playoffs....thats how you sustain success, thats how you win and thats how you change the loser ass culture we have had for 15 years

It all boils down to the QB, but if you do it right, you dont need a Luck/Brady/Manning/Rodgers to win, you can get it done with a Dilfer/Flacco type QB....just someone competent....its easier to find a competent QB than a truly franchise guy

love what Whaleys done here and hope Pegula is smart enough to keep him here for the long haul

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGR was discussing Whaley's tenure at GM this morning, citing his "failure" in addressing the QB situation as his biggest black mark. Yet no one who chastises Whaley can say who should be QB for the Bills, only that what we have isn't good enough.

I say there is no QB that was available in the last two drafts our available in free agency that would meet the standard of play we are demanding at QB. Sure there are plenty of QBs that you might think are good, or who might be good eventually. But there is no QB in the last two years who was available to Whaley that is franchise caliber.

So does out even make sense to complain about the QB situation when there wasn't a realistic option? It's like being wrong on a test where all the answers are wrong.

this is a great point, typical WGR who were they suppose to get? People will bring up Russel Wilson or Keapernick yes with a kick butt line and a great running game and a defense that gives up less than 10points then they can play qb. As we've seen with Seattle and 49ers this year when the defense gives up 20 or more Ole Russ and Kap can't do much to help.

They don't know either negative radio is easy to do especially when your not very good at it = Howie, Jeremy, Schoop, Bulldog......Mathew Collier, Sal Cappacio don't belong I respect their opinions.

I've discussed this point in the past, but it really all depends upon your definition of "franchise". To me, a franchise guy is someone that a team can win a Superbowl with...it's entirely different from "elite" IMO. I count them like this:

Elite (best of the best, no exceptions...can do it all)

Luck

Rodgers

Borderline Elite (i.e. you can make an argument for including them in the elite group)

P. Manning

Brady

Brees

Franchise (these guys can win a Superbowl provided that the rest of their team is good enough)

Flacco

Dalton

Big Ben

Rivers

Wilson

Palmer

Kaepernick

Stafford

Newton

Ryan

E. Manning

Romo

So that's 17 guys I would say are franchise QBs. The rest are either:

Up for debate

Tannehill

A. Smith

S. Bradford

J. Cutler

RG3

Foles

Orton

Too Early to Tell

Bortles

Carr

Bridgewater

Manziel

Manuel

Glennon

Mettenberger

or

Not a Chance

G. Smith

Fitzpatrick

Very good list, one exception:

Guys who have played on 5 teams who are really good backups who are pretty much the same player only Bills fans hate the ex one but make excuses for the new one:

Orton

Fitzpatrick

Also, let's just wait on Luck. He's a beast but he feasts against bad teams. He has gotten destroyed by the Pats in 3 games. I need a little more from him. He will probably get there, but let's not say he's elite yet. And Brady & Manning belong in the elite group.

so, to summarize.....

#1- no matter where the bills pick in the draft, there will be a better player at another position that should be picked instead of a QB.

#2- all the possible free agent QB's in 2015 are garbage.

#3- it's not whaley's fault.

(laffin)

To summarize

#1- no matter where the bills pick in the draft, there will be a better player at another position that should be picked that papazoid would have picked if GM

#2- all the possible free agent QB's in 2015 are better than any Bills QB.

#3- it's all whaley's fault.

(laffin)

So you have 17 I said 12, not too far off. I'd also argue that without an exceptional team around him, I doubt that Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton, Dalton, and maybe even Flacco could win a SB on their own talents.

I'd then lump your elite and borderline elite, plus Big Ben, Romo, Stafford, Rivers, Ryan, and Eli minus the last two seasons into my "franchise" group. Even though some like a Romo or Rivers, haven't won a SB, I do feel they are capable of it with even decent talent Though Romo will find a way to self destruct every year.

I've discussed this point in the past, but it really all depends upon your definition of "franchise". To me, a franchise guy is someone that a team can win a Superbowl with...it's entirely different from "elite" IMO. I count them like this:

Elite (best of the best, no exceptions...can do it all)

Luck

Rodgers

Borderline Elite (i.e. you can make an argument for including them in the elite group)

P. Manning

Brady

Brees

Franchise (these guys can win a Superbowl provided that the rest of their team is good enough)

Flacco

Dalton

Big Ben

Rivers

Wilson

Palmer

Kaepernick

Stafford

Newton

Ryan

E. Manning

Romo

So that's 17 guys I would say are franchise QBs. The rest are either:

Up for debate

Tannehill

A. Smith

S. Bradford

J. Cutler

RG3

Foles

Orton

Too Early to Tell

Bortles

Carr

Bridgewater

Manziel

Manuel

Glennon

Mettenberger

or

Not a Chance

G. Smith

Fitzpatrick

So you have 17 I said 12, not too far off. I'd also argue that without an exceptional team around him, I doubt that Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton, Dalton, and maybe even Flacco could win a SB on their own talents.

I'd then lump your elite and borderline elite, plus Big Ben, Romo, Stafford, Rivers, Ryan, and Eli minus the last two seasons into my "franchise" group. Even though some like a Romo or Rivers, haven't won a SB, I do feel they are capable of it with even decent talent Though Romo will find a way to self destruct every year.

Sure, that's reasonable. By no means do I consider myself an authority on the topic; it's very much subjective.

FWIW, EJ may still have a chance as a starter, Please no bashing. it's a segue into something I just read.

Since 2008 every Bills first round draft pick is still on the team. (per BB mobile app)

Aaron Maybin was drafted 11th overall in 2009...he's long gone.