Detroit radio not interested in being hospitable to Bills

YoloinOhio

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrestrial radio is a dying medium concerning itself not with class, but with desperately generating attention and ratings.

I could imagine those idiots at GR doing something equally as stupid if the situation was reversed. Detroit- we thank you for helping in a time of need. Now, go destroy the Pats for us both!

I could imagine those idiots at GR doing something equally as stupid if the situation was reversed. Detroit- we thank you for helping in a time of need. Now, go destroy the Pats for us both!

From what I can gather this station doing the GreenOut thing or whatever is a new, upstart station. So they're likely the #3 sports talk station in an upper-mid sized market. Not a great place to be.

I worked in the radio biz for a little while, and have a decent idea what's probably going on behind the scenes at this moment. There is a program director beside himself with glee that this is getting so much run on social media from angry Bills fans. That same PD is also 6-12 months away from being out of a job unless he can start generating clicks, follows, ratings and (most importantly) ad revenue.

So he (or most likely one of his more creative underlings) comes up with this idea to "get back" at the Bills over some perceived slight. "Run with it!" he says! He's anxiously counting the @ mentions and hashtag counts (or most likely having a more computer-literate underling feed him the info).

It's a dirtbag move that serves as a prime example of "there's no such thing as negative publicity."

A little Wikipedia research confirms my suspicions. This 105.1fm station in Detroit has gone through about a half-dozen format changes in the last 15-20 years. They switched to the sports talk format last year and became an ESPN affiliate. They only offer four hours of in-house programming per day.

Bush league stunts from a bush league station. If they're around in two years, it'll be a minor miracle.

Apparently @tommazawey is the guy behind #greenmonday. He's getting really sensitive on Twitter so feel free to troll away. It's kind of funny.

Also, here are their ratings: http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb011 They check in right between UM radio and Wayne State radio

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Apparently @tommazawey is the guy behind #greenmonday. He's getting really sensitive on Twitter so feel free to troll away. It's kind of funny.

he deserves it. I get that what Schwartz did was tacky, but IMO it doesn't equate to making light of a natural disaster. Especially when the rest of Detroit was so first class in each and every way.

he deserves it. I get that what Schwartz did was tacky, but IMO it doesn't equate to making light of a natural disaster. Especially when the rest of Detroit was so first class in each and every way.

It's pretty funny. I'm thinking about doing a little trolling and I encourage you all to do the same :).

Bitter much? Let it go, geez.

Detroit Sports 1051@DSports1051 13h13 hours ago

Note to self, when trying to exact revenge on an ass clown, former coach, don't rely on The New York Jets #GreenMonday

Didn't a lot of people do the same for Mularkey? I could see if I was a Detroit fan why I won't like Schwartz either. But let's not pretend we haven't done similar things.

Didn't a lot of people do the same for Mularkey? I could see if I was a Detroit fan why I won't like Schwartz either. But let's not pretend we haven't done similar things.

I have no idea if they did anything for Mularkey but I can't imagine that it was a scenario where Mularkey's team was playing a non-NFC team at our stadium due to a natural disaster and we tried to rally an organized effort to root against his team.

I have no idea if they did anything for Mularkey but I can't imagine that it was a scenario where Mularkey's team was playing a non-NFC team at our stadium due to a natural disaster and we tried to rally an organized effort to root against his team.

I agree with YoLo, I can say emphatically the Bills and Bills fan have never done similar things to what was suggested by the DB Disk Jokey.

I never thought professional football would come to this. A time when the games are so boring, that fans route for radio announcers to say something they approve of.

Professional football has evolved into a pop-culture, reality TV event or some darn thing. You've got to admit...the games themselves are boring as F***. So I guess its understandable the weather, radio talking heads etc are worthy of headlines.....because the game isnt any more. The game is boring to watch on television......inbetween commercials.

i watched three games this week,

miami denver, cleveland atlanta, bills jets

all three games were awesome. lots of action, fun to watch. if you think NFL games are boring you're getting too old and cranky.