Daughter wins lawsuit to force parents to pay for college

\GoBillsInDallas/

Makes me sick. How many students out there work in HS, full time jobs in college and more to support themselves?

My GF went thru hell with her mother growing up and her father did not earn enough to support her for college and pay alimony/child support, too. She worked in HS, lost it all because her mother took it from her. Worked full time in college, throughout and is still $100k in debt.

She's 21, so two people are being ordered to pay the bills of another legal adult.

This country gets scarier every day.

There seems to be a legal "philosophy" developing (I refuse to call it a principle, as it's hardly codified) that parents are still responsible for their adult children as their parents. I've seen it with some frequency, not limited to this or the ACA.

I'm taking this **** the other way! I'm suing my 3 year old for pain and suffering due to sleep deprivation and for emotional anguish resulting from her fits of screaming which undermine my personal sense of well-being and which has prevented me from achieving greater financial success and self-actualization.

There seems to be a legal "philosophy" developing (I refuse to call it a principle, as it's hardly codified) that parents are still responsible for their adult children as their parents. I've seen it with some frequency, not limited to this or the ACA.

This may very well have been an error with how it was reported but the article says the court ruled that divorced parents are responsible for providing for the childs college education. What does their marital status have to do with it. The implications on this are huge.

I'm taking this **** the other way! I'm suing my 3 year old for pain and suffering due to sleep deprivation and for emotional anguish resulting from her fits of screaming which undermine my personal sense of well-being and which has prevented me from achieving greater financial success and self-actualization.

There is an Onion story in that situation somewhere.

Good for her. I am glad she won. I hope every child like this wins a lawsuit.

Then maybe people will finally stop having kids when they cannot afford to have kids then.

Parents should do everything within their financial means to pay for college or give some type of assistance, it is the obligation of a parent.

The you are 18 now get of the house parents make me sick, selfish bastards. You have kids to try and give them the best chance in life to succeed, and you make sacrifices for them.

This may very well have been an error with how it was reported but the article says the court ruled that divorced parents are responsible for providing for the childs college education. What does their marital status have to do with it. The implications on this are huge.

FWIW:

http://www.lauferknapp.com/Articles/Divorced-Parents-Responsibility-And-Financial-Obligation-Towards-Their-Children-s-College-Expenses.shtml

Then maybe people will finally stop having kids when they cannot afford to have kids then.

Parents should do everything within their financial means to pay for college or give some type of assistance, it is the obligation of a parent.

The you are 18 now get of the house parents make me sick, selfish bastards. You have kids to try and give them the best chance in life to succeed, and you make sacrifices for them.

LOL,you ARE kidding right???

I read a story that a mans daughter that would have nothing to do with him sued him to pay for her education.Her dad divorced her mother years earlier and although he was initially forced to pay by the court he fought it and it was found in a later court that since married parents weren't forced to pay for college it was discrimination that he would have to so he won the case and didn't have to pay.After he patched things up with his daughter later he did voluntarily help her financially with college.

I see where he was trying to get to, but it was a poorly thought out argument.

No one is having or not having kids based on what may or may not happen in 18 years.

Oh, I can think of a couple people not having kids based on possibilities two decades hence...

This is all the Federal Government's fault. When paying for college your parents income is considered part of yours until you reach 23 or 24. Mommy and Daddy make a bunch of money but won't help contribute? Sorry kid, but your yearly income is in the six figures and we can't give you any grants or subsidized loans.

This is all the Federal Government's fault. When paying for college your parents income is considered part of yours until you reach 23 or 24. Mommy and Daddy make a bunch of money but won't help contribute? Sorry kid, but your yearly income is in the six figures and we can't give you any grants or subsidized loans.

Just another example of hard working responsible people getting screwed and the slackers getting rewarded.

As father of four fantastic adult 'children', I believe this has to be mutual.

Everybody wins.

Edited by rockpile

This is exactly it and was the same 20 years ago when I was in school. Getting the big fat bill when working part time and going to school quickly sours the college ambitions.

And it doesn't always mean that the folks are cheap or make anywhere near six figures.

Parental contributions to a child's education should be verified and should be tax deductible to discourage cheating the system, and the student.