When do the phantom calls against us stop??

Big Turk

Here's the NFL Rule on False Starts.

Digest of Rules Main

Position of Players at Snap

Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)

No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.

No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.

No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.

Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

I've watched that play at least a dozen times. Henderson doesn't move anymore than a statue moves in 2 mph winds. Haha. Not even close to moving.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the NFL Rule on False Starts.

Digest of Rules Main

Position of Players at Snap

Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)

No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.

No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.

No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.

Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

I've watched that play at least a dozen times. Henderson doesn't move anymore than a statue moves in 2 mph winds. Haha. Not even close to moving.

Absolutely true. I like your analogy.

1. The Bills screwed up enough to lose.

2. The Chandler call was ridiculous.

3. The non-call on the out of bounds hit was ridiculous.

4. The non-call for trying to wrench our guy's leg up and out of the socket was ridiculous.

5. The Henderson call is marginal. He did twitch, slightly, but not so the guy who came across the line could have seen it. If Henderson was trying to draw a defender over the line, he wasn't being obvious enough. I think he was just as still as most guys usually are, but after the guy lined up over RT or RG jumped, they had to call something.

6. The Williams call was correct.

7. The Bills screwed up enough to lose.

By the way, on the Henderson call. That was fourth down. On second down the Bills were screwed out of half a yard on the ball placement (go back and check the replays). Instead of 3rd and half a yard, it was 3rd and a yard. Then the Bills gained half a yard on 3rd down. Would have been enough for a first if the spot was accurate after second down.

This is not why they lost the game. But it happened.

4. The non-call for trying to wrench our guy's leg up and out of the socket was ridiculous.

5. The Henderson call is marginal. He did twitch, slightly, but not so the guy who came across the line could have seen it. If Henderson was trying to draw a defender over the line, he wasn't being obvious enough. I think he was just as still as most guys usually are, but after the guy lined up over RT or RG jumped, they had to call something.

Nice call on everything.

To me this was the one clear game where there weren't any terrible calls, the only gripe I had was already mentioned and that was no late hit call when Hogan was hit out of bounds. Instead of blaming the refs for this game, the team should learn how to use both arms to cover the ball at the 1 and call for a fair catch on a punt.

Wow..

Wow what? Where's the movement? More importantly, where's the movement that violates the rule? It's not even remotely close to a false start. Linemen are not supposed to be as still as a statue.

Regardless , it's a moot point because we should have snapped the ball and ran a sneak, but Henderson definitely DID NOT false start.

Defending horrible calls by refs makes no sense. Of any role in a game they should be the most accountable and held to the highest standard. They have no opposing force trying to prevent them from doing a good job. It blows me away how bad NFL officials are. No excuse.

By the way, on the Henderson call. That was fourth down. On second down the Bills were screwed out of half a yard on the ball placement (go back and check the replays). Instead of 3rd and half a yard, it was 3rd and a yard. Then the Bills gained half a yard on 3rd down. Would have been enough for a first if the spot was accurate after second down.

This is not why they lost the game. But it happened.

The refereeing in the NFL is laughable inconsistent due to a contrived rulebook to add offense to the game.

Sorry, I meant the guy lined up over LT or LG. Henderson was the RT.

There was a post a couple pages back that I'm too lazy to dig up, that suggested younger referees would be in better position, and there would be fewer missed calls.

Was it last year, or the year before, when we suffered through the clown show of replacement refs? Being an official at this level is really hard, and I'll take a 50 year old guy with 25 years of experience over some whippersnapper who gets the wool pulled over his eyes.

Anyway, not trying to start an argument, but I think that suggestion would be a bad idea.

Maybe someone else mentioned, i have not read this entire thread

Am i the only one who saw the Chiefs kickoff returner step out of bounds, then return the ball to the 30? Chiefs went 3 and out and punted, but i would have thought that would be an illegal touching penalty? have no idea where the ball would be spotted, but i got a feeling it aint the 30

Am i the only one who saw the Chiefs kickoff returner step out of bounds, then return the ball to the 30? Chiefs went 3 and out and punted, but i would have thought that would be an illegal touching penalty? have no idea where the ball would be spotted, but i got a feeling it aint the 30

I missed that. When did it happen? How could a kickoff returner step out of bounds before catching the ball?

I missed that. When did it happen? How could a kickoff returner step out of bounds before catching the ball?

Was one of the kickoffs, i will look for the exact time in a little while. He back foot went about two feet out of the end line of the endzone

Edit..was the kick after we made it 10-3..&.09 of the 2nd qtr...returner was on the white out of bounds band that had "salute the Troops " on it for a good two seconds, with both feet out of bounds, and with the ref looking right at him.

I dunno, maybe its not a penalty, but if it is not guys should line up back there to get a running start every kickoff.

Edited by plenzmd1

This is so obviously wrong, I 'm not sure what to say. Even you refute this nutty claim in your last sentence: "it wasn't flagged until AFTER the KC guy jumped".

So, the movement didn't draw the KC guy offsides, yet the KC guy "jumped", and a flag was then thrown. Wow..

Yes, that's how this works. You draw a guy offsides, they throw the flag--after the guy jumps offsides....all in "real time".

You should quit while you are way behind. And you might want to invest in a new TV, or move closer to a bar that has one of those "hi def" sets...

Any player on the offense, QB included, who makes an "abrupt move" in order to draw the defender off sides will be flagged for false start. So the O-lineman doesn't have to be "moving towards the opponent".

Look, the Bills were obviously trying to lure the Chiefs off-sides. They had no play called. Everyone on the planet, including the refs, knew what the Bills were trying to do.

Marrone should have just called an actual play and ran it...or punted. He's a numbskull.

I get your point, I really do. Complaints about the officiating is a waste of time, interestingly, complaints about complaints about the refs are a good use of time. Regardless, I think you're wrong on the numbskulledness of the decision to try and draw the penalty. You're right that everyone knew they were going to try and draw them offside, but it's fairly common in that situation to try just that. The fact is it might have worked perfectly and Henderson just f'd it up. During the game, I can recall two or three times when bills defenders were calling for false start penalties (or seemed to be). I thought there were a couple snaps where the chiefs moved early, but it wasn't called. Maybe they factored that in the decision and did try and draw them off with subtle movement by the big cat. I think it's a good call and if you're not going for it..why not try? It works from time to time.

I was ok with the decision to punt there, plenty of time left, not the best place to lose that particular battle in a tight game where the short yardage the chiefs would need to be in position to kick a field goal. Even with as stout as the defense was playing, why even give them a shot at a field goal?

Officiating is inconsistent. Sometimes game to game, sometimes play to play. I've never understood why some people think it's a big deal to complain about it.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

I'm so tired of these phantom calls against us every game...in this case 3 of them this game...

1) Roughing the passer on Williams. View on the jumbotron clearly shows he went over the top of Smith and brushed his shoulder...nonsense call considering I've seen guys hit the QBs while sliding full force and get no calls

2) False start on 4th and 1...the entire stadium and Bills team knew it was a KC player that jumped offsides. However the ref calls it on us...wtf???? Are you serious??

3) PI on Chandler...Might have completely whiffed, but at worst barely even contacts the LB yet gets flagged. Meanwhile Gronkowski shoves our player to the ground, turns around and makes the catch in the NE game and no call...just brutal...

These calls led to 3 KC points and 2 punts for the Bills...

Combine this with boneheaded fumbles by Brown running into the endzone and McKelvin on the punt return, along with Orton missing wide open receivers much of the game and its too much to overcome...we are not good enough to have to beat the other team and the refs

Every fan of every team in the League has the same beef...They had their chances and they blew it but they fought hard.

Goodell is dirty. His friend Bon Jovi and Toronto lost out on the Bills. Sorry I don`t trust or like Goodell. He has too much power. And he knows it.

Wow. Just wow.

I saw it and remember thinking the same thing. I also thought there was a late hit out of bounds on the Bills sideline late in the fourth. Can't recall the situation....