do you consider Sammy to be a rookie phenom?

Tampa Bob

NFL network just showed a preview of next week's game and said tannehill and the dolphins take on rookie phenom watkins and the bills. When I think rookie phenom (at least offensively), I think all the way back to moss with the vikings even though there have been other great rookie performances since. I just think that moss was unstoppable that year and really turned around the vikings right away.

Do you all think Watkins is on that level? I am very high on him...I think he is the heart and soul of this team and a beast. I would say that Watkins has really turned this team around (along with orton).

His play makes me think a little differently of our playoff outlook. I have thought for far too long now that the bills have lacked players that step up in tight games. We used to always make those dumb mistakes and lose in painful fashion because nobody ever seemed capable of making big time plays when they count. Sammy has done it a few times already and the fact that he is a 21 year old rookie makes it even better for me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your trolling has reached hilariously epic levels. :lol:

Aside from the swipe at Freddy, yes Sammy is a rookie phenom. He's an absolute freak athletically and has proven to be as uncoverable in the NFL as he was in college -- which is absurd.

But true.

He also has shown the propensity to come up big in big moments... and he's just getting started. The guy is a star.

Good post.

I felt at the time of the trade that it was a great trade because Watkins was going to be a star, and you cannot win it all, in any sport, without a star or two. You hardly ever see it anywhere. It doesn't matter what position it is. Sure, it's better if your star is a QB but the Steelers won with their stars being a safety and a linebacker. The Ravens won with their stars being a linebacker and LT (and maybe safety).

Stars win games in team sports. That make great plays in big moments. They set great examples. They make other players look better. Sammy already fits that definition.

IMO, stars are worth more than two very, very good players put together.

Good post.

I felt at the time of the trade that it was a great trade because Watkins was going to be a star, and you cannot win it all, in any sport, without a star or two. You hardly ever see it anywhere. It doesn't matter what position it is. Sure, it's better if your star is a QB but the Steelers won with their stars being a safety and a linebacker. The Ravens won with their stars being a linebacker and LT (and maybe safety).

Stars win games in team sports. That make great plays in big moments. They set great examples. They make other players look better. Sammy already fits that definition.

Or two first round picks

Edited by Big C

Good post.

As Bill Polian pointed out after the great Cornelius Bennet trade. Its true general public does not quite know the difference between a player who makes it to the NFL and one who is just short of it - BUT what general folks REALLY dont appreciate is the difference between a pro bowler and a 1st team All Pro. Any time you get a chance to land a 1st team NFL All pro you do it

He's okay but the Bills have up 2 1st round picks to get him!! He better be able to walk on water. I haven't seen him do that yet. I don't know what all the hype is about; he is decent. He has only been the offensive Rookie of the Week 3 times. He's already played 8 games!! A guy that you used 2 1st round picks on should at least be the best offensive rookie in 7 of his 1st 8 weeks. The FO is incompetent.

He's okay but the Bills have up 2 1st round picks to get him!! He better be able to walk on water. I haven't seen him do that yet. I don't know what all the hype is about; he is decent. He has only been the offensive Rookie of the Week 3 times. He's already played 8 games!! A guy that you used 2 1st round picks on should at least be the best offensive rookie in 7 of his 1st 8 weeks. The FO is incompetent.

Don't forget the fourth round pick. He should be rookie of the week in 10 of the first 8 weeks.

One first round pick....

Everyone has a bad week; I was trying to cut him some slack before writing him off completely.

So you're that easy teacher who grades everything on a curve. Fine, let's keep him around another week and see how it goes. Maybe he'll finally show some talent.

Edited by Augie

So you're that easy teacher who grades everything on a curve. Fine, let's keep him around another week and see how it does. Maybe he'll finaly show some talent.

I hope so! The way that I look at it is that if you are a 1st round pick you should average 100 yards a game. If you are 2 1st round picks you should average 200 yards a game.

I would not call Sammy a phenom. I do thing he will be a star for a long long time but to date he has not shown he is superior to K. Benjamin, M. Bryant, O. Beckham, or M. Evans. If Sammy is a phenom, they all are. If they all are, it is a misuse of the word.

I do think this might be the WR rookie class that is the equivalent of the Kelly, Marino, Elway, etc. QB class. Then Sammy = Elway or Marino the two best of the bunch.

I hope so! The way that I look at it is that if you are a 1st round pick you should average 100 yards a game. If you are 2 1st round picks you should average 200 yards a game.

My math says he should have 240 yards/game (remember the fourth) or he should fear a pink slip!

There are other guys with similar stats who look like good players. My eyeballs tell me they are good players, and Sammy is a cut above. I have no proof of this, and only time will tell, but Sammy appears to be a more complete package than any of the other players mentioned above.

While you have to love what Sammy has done so far this season. You also have to look at Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin who has very similar (almost equal) stats, and was the 28th pick. Kelvin is a beast at 6'5'' 240 lbs, and runs a sub 4-40. I have to ask why no Bills scout saw the potential In Benjamin?

Anyway, Sammy would be beating Kelvin by a mile if the Bills had a better OC who didn't use him as a decoy, and got him the ball more often in games then just 2-3 catches a game. The Bills are exceedingly lucky to have Kyle Orton throwing so well, otherwise the need for franchise QB outweighs the need for a star WR. Strangely, I suppose this trade will depend a lot on how long Orton can play well enough to win games for the Bills.

I would not call Sammy a phenom. I do thing he will be a star for a long long time but to date he has not shown he is superior to K. Benjamin, M. Bryant, O. Beckham, or M. Evans. If Sammy is a phenom, they all are. If they all are, it is a misuse of the word.

I do think this might be the WR rookie class that is the equivalent of the Kelly, Marino, Elway, etc. QB class. Then Sammy = Elway or Marino the two best of the bunch.

It is a ridiculous class for sure.

Don't forget Cooks, Hurns, or Robinson. It looks like a lot of good players in this class. When all is said and done though I will be surprised if any measure up to Watkins.

Lot's of rookie WR putting up nice numbers. Evans had similar stats to Watkins last week. Not sure he is much better than Beckham, Evans, or Benjamin.... time will tell. Watkins needs to be a star for many years to prove to be worth that additional 1st and 4th round picks we gave up. I think he will be great, he is now... but not much better than many other rookies. This will go down as one of the best receiver classes in years.