Paper Tigers

jumbalaya

If we lose the next two, our season is over before December.

I think we need to win all 4 of the next games to have a shot at playoffs.

I've said before, I don't expect us to beat NE, GB or Denver so these 4 (or atleast 3 out of 4) are crucial.

You are right. The season is probably over with a loss to the Chiefs given the conference record and head to head losses to KC, Houston, and San Diego. In this case the coaches are right. There is no reason to look beyond this weekend because there is no tomorrow with a loss on Sunday.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those other good starts came without a defense. We have a good defense this year. I think that will make the difference.

absolutely.

You are right. The season is probably over with a loss to the Chiefs given the conference record and head to head losses to KC, Houston, and San Diego. In this case the coaches are right. There is no reason to look beyond this weekend because there is no tomorrow with a loss on Sunday.

don't rule out the patriots having clinched HFA and resting many of their starters in the final matchup. they smell blood and want another shot at a championship.

Miami game is on Thursday night. Night time low is expected to be around 65 degrees. Don't think there will be an issue with the heat. Other than that, I agree.

You are right. I wasn't even thinking about that and I am going to the game! I will bring my parka.

don't rule out the patriots having clinched HFA and resting many of their starters in the final matchup. they smell blood and want another shot at a championship.

The 2004 Steelers come to mind when people bank on a team being in the playoffs and resting their top guys.

Opponents have 8 games of film on Buffalo, just like the Bills have on their opponents. It's the most innovative teams that keep winning from now until the end of the season. If you're predictable and keep trying to do the same thing and/or don't have the horses, you get exposed quickly. And that's what happened in 2008 and 2011. How well the Bills do in adapting is what will decide whether they finish with a mediocre record or go to the playoffs.

The Bills are guilty until proven innocent, dontcha know?

We could go 13-3 and people would still expect the bottom to fall out.

The Bills have playoff caliber WRs,QB, defense and special teams. We have piss poor O-line and running game. The trick is to not let our weakness be exploited.

Its difficult to win in the NFL if you can't adequately protect the QB or run the ball. One dimensional teams don't generally go very far, as the Bills proved last year with the #2 rushing attack and went 6-10.

Bills fans are preconditioned from 14 years of losing to hope for the best, and expect the worst. Its not like this franchise hasn't been 5-1 in 2008, 5-2 in 2011 only see those teams crash and burn to 7-9 & 6-10.

I've said before, I don't expect us to beat NE, GB or Denver so these 4 (or atleast 3 out of 4) are crucial.

We really don't deserve the playoffs if we can't find a way to win at least one against those three teams. Heck, you don't want to be going to the playoffs as losers of three of your last four games.

I hear you and you're probably not wrong, but I'm not certain why everyone is chalking GB up as an automatic loss. It's a home game and the Packers haven't been that impressive this year. Of course any team lead by Aaron Rodgers is dangerous, but this is a winnable game. The more the season has gone on, the more winnable it seems to me.

I agree. We won't be an appreciably different underdog to GB than we will be @Miami.

It's still not wrong to say we need the next 4 though cause 8-4 gets you to 10-6 as best case scenario which may not be enough.

Naa, they won't beat out Big Mouth Rex as being the worst team in the division as the Jets are currently 1-8 with Vick at QB.

The Bills could very well be a paper tiger this year with the leagues worst O line, poor run game. The offense is currently ranked 28th, and without Spiller, and a healthy Fredex-Sammy it could be trouble for Buffalo.

Shhh not so loud I am horrible at predictions and they almost never go into the direction that I want so to uh. Oh just let it be.

I agree we must have the next 4, but I disagree about Denver and GB. With our pass rush I think we can beat Denver. Get in Mannings face and he just can't get rid of the ball like he used to. GB hasn't impressed me this year.

I agree we must have the next 4, but I disagree about Denver and GB. With our pass rush I think we can beat Denver. Get in Mannings face and he just can't get rid of the ball like he used to. GB hasn't impressed me this year.

Unless something happens like Manning going down, no way the Bills beat Denver in Denver. GB is a bit of a long shot, but possible. Particularly at the Ralph and if Fred and Sammy are back and at nearly 100%..

Edited by CodeMonkey

ive given up on understanding that line of thinking. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it will have nothing to do with the last 14 years. It will be because they weren't good enough this year.

True and false. Each season should not be detertimed by any of the seasons before. Basically it is a new team with some of the same players and coaches and some new ones

However; whether you believe it or not, there is a cultural/psychological aspect to continual winning or losing. Once ingrained it takes quite a lot to get it turned around. Buffalo has had teams good enough to make the playoffs or at least a winning record in that last 14 year, I am sure. Were they great? No ... did the that enough talent to go 8-8 or higher, yes.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

There is some truth to that last post. I have said before I have been Head Coach of a couple of semi-pro soccer teams here in England and the first one I took over at was used to finishing in the bottom 5 of an 18 team league every season. The players settle into a comfort zone and even new ones you bring in come with low expectations, and the people around the place do too. The owner had got into the mindset where finishing 10th was a great achievement and the league's administrators and the match officials get into the mindset of "it doesn't matter if we end up screwing them over they are irrelevant."

Took me 3 years of hard work to turn that ship around and they finished 4th the last year I was there which was their best for 20 odd years. I think being irrelevant is hard to turn around and it is more and more difficult the longer you are irrelevant. There are two elements to changing it - one is set extremely high standards in your preparation, let people know it is no joke, and then ultimately... you gotta start winning.

In years past when the Bills had a good start, versus sucking from the very beginning, they were quickly exposed during this part of the season and the team became irrelevant until draft day.

The next two games will tell us if we have a contending team. KC will be tough to beat at home as will Miami on the road in the heat. Maronne better have them better prepared for Florida than he did last year in Tampa.

This year our season won't be over before December so that is progress. But if we drop to 5-5 we can start talking about our pick in round 2.

I am thinking our defense wins one of these two and we are in for a buffalo stampede.

Looking at the other teams vying for the wildcard spots and the schedules of those teams' remaining games, it's my opinion that the 2014 playoffs dream is over if they lose to the Chiefs.

Of course it won't be "officially" over, but to lose to the Chiefs and still get to 10 wins they really would have to beat the Dolphins, Jets, Browns, Packers and Raiders the rest of the schedule (I'm assuming they won't beat the Broncos and Patriots).

There's no way I see the Bills not stubbing their toes once in the Dolphins, Browns, Packers bunch of games. If they beat the Chiefs they're still in the playoff conversation. A loss and I see no playoffs and the writing on the wall that there will eventually be a new regime here in 2015. The margin of error is very slim in the AFC this year.

Edited by 1billsfan

Looking at the other teams vying for the wildcard spots and the schedules of those teams' remaining games, it's my opinion that the 2014 playoffs dream is over if they lose to the Chiefs.

There are several simulation type sites that agree with you. They state it as a must-win game for both teams if they are to have a chance.

With our defense we are in any game

What will make the difference is if our offense can stop being the weak link of this team

let's not blame the entire O, it's the Oline and running game. Orton and the passing game have been solid and come through when needed.

If they don't get a good running game going this week, Orton is in for a long day.